aliens

Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1949426 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.9.5: Burn The Village Down
« Reply #2085 on: October 03, 2018, 09:40:17 am »
Sorry, I don't understand... It's a craft, right? But with another craft inside? How would this work?

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: October 03, 2018, 10:32:58 am »
Sorry, I don't understand... It's a craft, right? But with another craft inside? How would this work?
A huge airship that stays in the air and uses a small landing craft for ground missions? A craft that looks huge in hangar, but replaced with a small helicopter outside base defense missions?

And what's the joke about "elicopter" and "helicopter"?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: October 03, 2018, 10:58:37 am »
Dude, does this game look like it supports moving bases? ::)

Offline deltatree4

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: October 03, 2018, 02:58:25 pm »
I'm sorry, I'll be more precise.

I know that the mobile bases are not possible, what I suggested was an aircraft like the "AWACS" (with a wider radar range and more fuel), which is able to intervene in missions with a small equipe of soldiers. Due the fact that land  a beast like that plane would be ridicolous on a farm I suggested instead to use the sprite of an HELICOPTER (sorry my mother tongue is  not english and I wrote wrong due a mistake with my language) just to mantain a right approach with reality( they land and immediately take the HElicopter to reach the mission).

Finally I think it would be good to give at least one weapon slot to the Plane, just for  self-defence.

Best regard

keep up with the good work!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: October 03, 2018, 03:39:28 pm »
Ah okay :)
There are already AWACS-like craft which do that, so I think we have it covered.

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: October 03, 2018, 03:55:56 pm »
HELICOPTER (sorry my mother tongue is  not english and I wrote wrong due a mistake with my language)
Dictionary says both spellings are correct in English, but "elicopter" is rare and has something to do with Deus Ex. Since the previous page other thread was the discussion of a Jagged Alliance reference I missed, I expected something similar.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 12:12:01 am by tkzv »

Offline nicedayright

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: October 03, 2018, 10:18:41 pm »
What are the milestones you'd recommend having complete before Ay-day? It's coming on December 1998 and I haven't terminated any of my starting cults yet. Am I about to get slaughtered by terror missions right from the start or does the invasion start out slow as in vanilla?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: October 03, 2018, 10:36:35 pm »
What are the milestones you'd recommend having complete before Ay-day? It's coming on December 1998 and I haven't terminated any of my starting cults yet. Am I about to get slaughtered by terror missions right from the start or does the invasion start out slow as in vanilla?

Nah, the invasion is less intense than in vanilla. You should be fine at any stage, if you're not suicidal.

Offline nicedayright

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: October 04, 2018, 12:15:39 am »
if you're not suicidal.
Let's not make any more assumptions than we have to. Since I've already gone to the trouble of making this account, I just want to let you know this mod is a phenomenal piece of work. You and your collaborators deserve a pat on the back for all the effort you've put in.

In other news, is the fact that enemies seem to avoid pathing through fire a bug or a feature? Because it's made the agricultural flamer such a great tool on constricted maps with melee enemies. Most underrated weapon in the mod.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: October 04, 2018, 02:16:02 am »
Many thanks!

And yes, the AI was written to treat burning tiles as costing 18 TUs (I think). (They don't actually cost more, it only influences AI planning.) So the agri flamer is indeed quite useful in crowd control. ;)

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: October 04, 2018, 04:59:45 am »
pathing computes fire as 32 TU actually.

Offline Finnik

• Colonel
  • Finnik#0257
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: October 04, 2018, 11:52:26 am »
Ah okay :)
There are already AWACS-like craft which do that, so I think we have it covered.

think about orbital base for late game. i think it can be done using scripts, that changes position all the time with cicle. most of it will requre lots of script coding tho, as you have to put another background to it and may be another modules. but i fall in love with space maps like freighter)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: October 04, 2018, 12:41:59 pm »
think about orbital base for late game. i think it can be done using scripts, that changes position all the time with cicle. most of it will requre lots of script coding tho, as you have to put another background to it and may be another modules. but i fall in love with space maps like freighter)

UFO: Aftershock is a glorious game, so I can't dislike this idea. :) However, I have no idea how hard it would be to implement. Probably very.

Offline Finnik

• Colonel
  • Finnik#0257
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: October 04, 2018, 03:33:58 pm »
I saw that tread about lua scripts. At given time it could be the key for that. I think Whispers himself can do such thing and its not that hard for him. But I dont used lua yet, and im waiting for his wiki to expand more... seems right now his API has enough tools for it

Offline Stoddard

• Colonel
  • in a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • Linux builds & stuff
« Reply #2099 on: October 04, 2018, 05:23:12 pm »
Re laputas:

the first question that comes to mind is how to change/define terrain for the base defense mission. but idk, maybe it's possible right now.

the second question is how does the base move? I mean, do you order it to move (and that means new UI) or it just follows a predefined orbit (then how and when the orbit gets defined?)

the actual movement of the base isn't anywhere near hard to do. Deciding where it should move that is.

from the coding POV let's start with orbital missions that are actually orbital, that is following an orbit with an appropriate orbital speed (15000 knots give or take) and not sitting at poles like it currently is in piratez for example.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 05:26:43 pm by Stoddard »