Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.3: Mysteries Ancient And New  (Read 2005538 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.7.6 alpha: Rapid Fire
« Reply #1590 on: December 20, 2017, 06:39:19 pm »
Hopefully they show up late and only during the start of the alien invasion.

Don't worry, they only appear in Shogg... At least for now. ;)

By the way, if you don't mind my question Solarius, how long until the Zombies (and later vampires and such) is completed? Just to know, I was considering waiting until this one was done at long last.

Glad to know you're interested! There is just one last element to be added, but it's a pretty big one - possibly a whole new terrain will be required. But it's not that much compared to what has already been done.

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.8b alpha: Stone of Atlantis
« Reply #1591 on: December 21, 2017, 03:55:05 pm »
Good to know! So it won't take that long, I guess. Will it require editing your saves/starting again though? I suppose that right now with the zombie storyline one can't get to the end part without taking care of the starting cult factions, right?

Also, I'm not sure if it's a bug, but I was messing around with the Quick Battle generator to check which things changed, and I noticed that the last entry of the enemy section has a Reptoid with the ultimate armor from Piratez but with missing text and an odd title. Is that intentional/work in progress?

niculinux

Re: The X-Com Files - 0.8c alpha: Stone of Atlantis
« Reply #1592 on: December 22, 2017, 07:05:19 pm »
Good! The bug with the latest openxcom extnded + that prevented live enemies capturing has been solved? edit: also, seems i cannot view enemies in battlescape mode, using mouse wheel middle click

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.8c alpha: Stone of Atlantis
« Reply #1593 on: December 22, 2017, 07:07:18 pm »
Good to know! So it won't take that long, I guess. Will it require editing your saves/starting again though? I suppose that right now with the zombie storyline one can't get to the end part without taking care of the starting cult factions, right?

These arcs aren't really related. But you certainly need to get underground.
Saves are normally transferable, unless I specifically say otherwise.

Also, I'm not sure if it's a bug, but I was messing around with the Quick Battle generator to check which things changed, and I noticed that the last entry of the enemy section has a Reptoid with the ultimate armor from Piratez but with missing text and an odd title. Is that intentional/work in progress?

I don't really know which one you mean, but you're probably right. I think it's the Reptoid Drake - I just fixed it recently.

And 0.8c has been released.

- New paperdolls: Alpha Cryssalid, Policeman, Policewoman, Homicidal Maniac, Homicidal Madman, all by tkzv.
- Language fixes, by Juff.
- Other fixes.

EDIT: More fixes with 0.8d.
- Healing Gel has 5 uses now (was 4).
- Chupacabra attack rebalance.
- Hangars no longer give storage.

Finally, the Jarhead unit sprite was mistakenly credited to XOps, while it was actually made by jackstraw2323 (sans the transformation animation, which I added). I deeply apologize for this mistake.
Jackstraw2323 is also responsible for the Juggernaut armour sprite.

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.8d alpha: Stone of Atlantis
« Reply #1594 on: December 24, 2017, 11:15:32 pm »
Are medals increasing stats functional yet? I really think it would be an interesting way to have further customization on troops, particularly with medals showing how adept someone is with medkits, pistols, armor, and other stuff.. It would be a good incentive to have for instance a dedicated medic.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: December 25, 2017, 01:01:57 am »
Are medals increasing stats functional yet? I really think it would be an interesting way to have further customization on troops, particularly with medals showing how adept someone is with medkits, pistols, armor, and other stuff.. It would be a good incentive to have for instance a dedicated medic.

Nope, no progress on this front yet.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #1596 on: December 25, 2017, 01:15:14 am »
Hi all,

i am kinda passive here, is the mod to some degree playable?
Need some time to pass while i search for new ideas so i thought testing out something new would be nice.

How the hell do you guys have so much too mod...

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: December 25, 2017, 05:50:00 am »
Its very playable and beatable. You start off as a small organization and eventually become a global military superpower fighting aliens.

Very enjoyable mod, makes finally getting body armor and assault rifles feel great

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: December 25, 2017, 08:15:35 am »
Hi all,

i am kinda passive here, is the mod to some degree playable?
Need some time to pass while i search for new ideas so i thought testing out something new would be nice.

How the hell do you guys have so much too mod...
The first post lists finished storylines. It forgets to mention that the central arc — about the invaders from Mars based in Cydonia — is also finished. When you win on Mars, the game ends. Although, to get there you need to finish some other arcs: Church of Dagon, Red Dawn and T'leth the last time I checked.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.8.1 alpha: Syndicate Strikes Back
« Reply #1599 on: December 27, 2017, 04:54:46 pm »
The Cydonia arc was finished in 1994 by Gollop's team, so I didn't think of adding it. ;)

EDIT: Version 0.8.1 has been released.
- New missions: Syndicate Warehouse, Osiron Cruise Liner.
- New weapons: PPSh, Calico, Colt Commando, BlackOps Spypistol.
- Zombie Lab mission slightly rebalanced.
- Renamed Hummer to Humvee, for better accuracy.
- Decreased maintenance cost on Large Living Quarters and Large General Stores.
- Various fixes, including one critical (incomplete loadout for one Dimension X Party mission).

Offline Kammerer

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: December 27, 2017, 05:34:20 pm »
Solar, the link in the starting post leads to the "Invalid or Deleted File." error. Is everything alright with the upload?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: December 27, 2017, 05:37:58 pm »
Solar, the link in the starting post leads to the "Invalid or Deleted File." error. Is everything alright with the upload?

Sorry, the MediaFire is having some problems. Reuploading - please expect a new link in half an hour or so.

EDIT: Uploaded to Google instead.

EDIT: A quick fix to enable Asuka 4000 ammo - please replace the file in 0.8.1 with the attached.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 11:17:01 am by Solarius Scorch »

Offline SolRSolid

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: Re: The X-Com Files - 0.8.1b alpha: Syndicate Strikes Back
« Reply #1602 on: January 02, 2018, 09:40:29 am »
So, what I noticed from 0.7.0 and earlier, wielding shotguns in particular but on other weapons, the game says I have a 100% chance to hit (Or more) but 6 times out of 10 it misses. Is there an explanation to This? Haven't had the time to update but this has happened on every version I've played

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.8.1b alpha: Syndicate Strikes Back
« Reply #1603 on: January 02, 2018, 01:03:48 pm »
So, I gave it another try after having not played it for multiple updates and playing Piratez instead, I would like to write down my impressions:

The beginning is more polished than int he early updates, but there's still the trouble that you must attend to countless cases/monster hunts/Arrest Suspects every month in order to have a chance to get some money (is X-Com the only agency taking care of 'supernatural' cases or what?), something which quickly becomes repetitive and boring. Unlike Piratez, here you don't have alternative ways to get money besides the end of the month rating and whatever trinkets you capture and sell. I think there should be something available earlier to the Workshop to ease the player's tedium a little.

Also, while the new weapons are welcome, the starting gear continues to be better than most cases as it was before, and then some of the new additions are of dubious usefulness (for example: What's the point of the Kludge? It seems like a poor man version of better weapons you already have access to).

Then there's a little issue I have with the Cover: 'X' missions. I get what you were trying to do here, but to me they remind me of a worse version than the Gun Trade infiltration missions. Worse, it's a bit silly that your team bothers to carry appropiate gear for infiltration, when the enemy is perfectly okay to carry SMGs and the like in a ski resort without trouble (and without wearing appropiate clothing to boot! Perhaps Dagon makes these cultists cold-resistant?  :)). It made sense in the deep urban infiltration missions for the bad guys to have superior gear since they were arms dealers, but here it seems a bit forced. IMO you also shouldn't start on your vehicle if possible but at some other designated point of the map.

Otherwise, it gives the appearance that the X-Com agents' infiltration failed before starting and they arrived here only to find the criminals evacuated the non-essential personnel and are armed and ready for trouble, while you guys were busy switching clothes. Seeing how often the driver parked in front of the enemy HQ in certain missions though, I bet that's what's happening. ;)

Lastly, the public and private transports should give you some stats about their speed and the like (regardless of how slow they are), if only for comparison for the other craft. That info is still missing.

In any case, thank you for making this mod following your vision!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.8.1b alpha: Syndicate Strikes Back
« Reply #1604 on: January 02, 2018, 04:37:19 pm »
So, what I noticed from 0.7.0 and earlier, wielding shotguns in particular but on other weapons, the game says I have a 100% chance to hit (Or more) but 6 times out of 10 it misses. Is there an explanation to This? Haven't had the time to update but this has happened on every version I've played

*shrug* The mechanics is exactly the same as in other X-Com mods. Weapon stats always vary, but I highly doubt there is anything special in X-Com Files.

So, I gave it another try after having not played it for multiple updates and playing Piratez instead, I would like to write down my impressions:

Thanks a lot for the detailed list of issues. I never have enough opinions!

The beginning is more polished than int he early updates, but there's still the trouble that you must attend to countless cases/monster hunts/Arrest Suspects every month in order to have a chance to get some money (is X-Com the only agency taking care of 'supernatural' cases or what?), something which quickly becomes repetitive and boring. Unlike Piratez, here you don't have alternative ways to get money besides the end of the month rating and whatever trinkets you capture and sell. I think there should be something available earlier to the Workshop to ease the player's tedium a little.

Well, dealing with this sort of things is X-com's only job, unlike in Piratez where you basically run a mercenary business. There is not that much I can give the player to do besides reacting to missions.
I realize the current selection of missions is a bit repetitive (though it gets better). I will work on these as time allows. Also the crop circles missions and the like are kind of a placeholder, since they will be a bit different once we have the reinforcements mechanics in the game.
Adding a smaller/earlier Workshop would not be so bad, I guess. But I will need to design it from scratch - not just the facility itself, but also its use, what you can do there, how much money you should spend, and so on. I will note it down for when I have time.

If you have any other ideas, please also share them.

Also, while the new weapons are welcome, the starting gear continues to be better than most cases as it was before, and then some of the new additions are of dubious usefulness (for example: What's the point of the Kludge? It seems like a poor man version of better weapons you already have access to).

Well, the Kludge is a bit of a special weapon, so I don't think it's the best example. And sure, some weapons are visibly worse than what you already have; I can't see what's wrong with that.
Also, barring the actual worst and best guns, their usefulness heavily depends on player's preferences. I've been humbled many times by unexpected ways people use guns, so I no longer claim to have the best idea on what is good. Let the player decide if a weapon should be added to their arsenal.

Then there's a little issue I have with the Cover: 'X' missions. I get what you were trying to do here, but to me they remind me of a worse version than the Gun Trade infiltration missions. Worse, it's a bit silly that your team bothers to carry appropiate gear for infiltration, when the enemy is perfectly okay to carry SMGs and the like in a ski resort without trouble (and without wearing appropiate clothing to boot! Perhaps Dagon makes these cultists cold-resistant?  :)). It made sense in the deep urban infiltration missions for the bad guys to have superior gear since they were arms dealers, but here it seems a bit forced. IMO you also shouldn't start on your vehicle if possible but at some other designated point of the map.

Well, first of all, enemies of X-Com are badass and they don't care about the weather. :P (I could make a winter clothes version of them, but it's not exactly a priority.)
As for their weapon choice, you are on their territory and that's why they do what they want. I have clarified the description a bit. I could give them worse weapons, but they're already rather unimpresive, and I think it would make the mission too easy.
Starting in a building instead of the vehicle (like in the surfing mission) can be done, yeah. Is that what you'd prefer?

Otherwise, it gives the appearance that the X-Com agents' infiltration failed before starting and they arrived here only to find the criminals evacuated the non-essential personnel and are armed and ready for trouble, while you guys were busy switching clothes. Seeing how often the driver parked in front of the enemy HQ in certain missions though, I bet that's what's happening. ;)

I'm not denying that. :P

Lastly, the public and private transports should give you some stats about their speed and the like (regardless of how slow they are), if only for comparison for the other craft. That info is still missing.

OK, I'll try to add some more info.

In any case, thank you for making this mod following your vision!

Thank you for playing it, despite overall incompleteness!