Author Topic: Suggestions on how to improve the mod  (Read 238571 times)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: Suggestions on how to improve the mod
« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2016, 07:27:10 pm »
Yeah maybe not only... but what about such a spin: a Harpoon Cannon! :)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2016, 07:32:01 pm »
To fire a bigger harpoon? Maybe there can be some X-Whalerz ;)

I was thinking of something more hi tech like this: https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Needle_Pistol

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2016, 11:03:59 pm »
Actually, you know what would be cool? If it fired a net on the target. Something short ranged still, but which applies medium amounts of stun that ignores (a percent of) armor since you can get entangled regardless of what you wear, it doesn't need to get through. And it drains some TUs and energy to represent the entanglement (you are busy getting the net off, so can't reaction fire, and it will restrict your movement next turn). So the benefits are some armor penetration and stat drains, instead of just MOAR stun.

I'd love to see a super short range version (2-3 tiles, throwing skill) that'd allow me to field Retiarius type gals. Maybe a 1x1 size weapon with one shot only? (once entangled, the enemy will rip it apart so it's unuseable anymore).

Another suggestion to improve the mod: Removing those obnoxious landing zones that cost 8 TUs per step despite the rest of the map being 4 TUs per step, and don't actually match the visuals? Those are super annoying (making unloading the bonny and approaching enemy crafts much slower = much more risky, for no reason I can see).

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 30, 2016, 11:58:07 pm »
Yeah maybe not only... but what about such a spin: a Harpoon Cannon! :)

Me likey!  ;)  Maybe you can combine that Cannon with Arthanor's damage proposal. However PLEASE not another short range weapon, give us shooters something to do as well!

Not that there is a lack of guns in this mod... nope, really not. ;D

Offline Yglorba

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 01, 2016, 02:32:13 am »
One thing that might help capture heavily-armored targets at range would be some sort of weapon that does very high armor damage + pain, but very little (or no) health damage.  Some sort of AOE chemical weapon to dissolve armor, perhaps.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 01, 2016, 03:15:27 am »
Really hvy armor targets can usually withstand a few shots from normal weapons which can breakdown armor and do damage to make the subsequent stun weapons job much easier. Jusr remember to heal the wounds so the don't bleed out.

Though i wouldn't mind an aoe acid flask.

Offline AncientSion

• Colonel
  • Ave Caesar, morituri te salutant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 01, 2016, 12:22:40 pm »
I would like a Acid Flask that melts ALL armour vectors instead of only the facing that was hit. Also, a bit less RNG when it comes to the melt, 0 - 20 is really awkward to work with.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 01, 2016, 12:30:21 pm »
I would like a Acid Flask that melts ALL armour vectors instead of only the facing that was hit. Also, a bit less RNG when it comes to the melt, 0 - 20 is really awkward to work with.

Lol, what about an "instant victory" button?

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 01, 2016, 12:34:41 pm »
yeah the range on flasks is the reason i dont use them. Heavy hits will do more to breakdown armor in 95% of situations. The notable exceptions are lobstermen, and cyclopes but neither is a particularly threatening foe so eh. Early game maybe a few when you just dont have the raw power and you can't cant bring hammers or chainsaws to bear.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #99 on: May 01, 2016, 01:27:38 pm »

And I would like a million dollars. 0-20 is awkward? Only if you throw a single one, which is always stupid. That's why you have large crew.
And yeah acid flasks are hardly useful once you have enough 60+ dmg weapons, THAT'S WHY THEY'RE AN EARLY TECH LOL :P

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 01, 2016, 09:54:50 pm »
I find that 0-20 is just not competitive when compared to explosive options even early game vs 97% of targets since attacks damage armor=10% of damage dealt after armor and resists. 16 tile range limit hurts as well, if im in that close the hammer gals are often already committed. Early strength/slots are limited and even the lowly black-powder bombs and Molotov's feel more flexible.

That said excellent batch size so less runt hours used by a significant factor.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 01, 2016, 09:57:46 pm »
Sure, one High Explosive is enough to kill even a Guildmaster with a little luck.

But to capture him, you'll need those flasks o'acid... early game.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #102 on: May 01, 2016, 10:11:21 pm »
Yeah the flask of acid is meant mostly for capturing, not killing. Well it's not meant for anything to be frank. It's a tool. Like each tool, it's not the best where all you need is brute force. It's not a very good tool since it's an early-game tool. Might be more useful once heavy explosives cease to be so readily available in very early game (after all, while hammer can do the job, melee is risky or might be not someone's style altogether).

Offline Ashert

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 02, 2016, 12:40:21 pm »
Does anyone know the Xeno Operations Mod? https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,2913.0.html
There's a lot of content for a new Luxurious merchant ships or for the Church Elite! I hope for a new class of ship in the future! ::)

Another thing is a little pointless in the mansion missions. I take only a single soldier, run up to the roof and finish the mission with 0 points, or is there any important invention? That's too easy!

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #104 on: May 02, 2016, 01:17:27 pm »
So what did you gain lol?

Also yeah, I am aware of Xeno Ops, I stole a ton of great stuff from that mod :)