Author Topic: Suggestions on how to improve the mod  (Read 238770 times)

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions on how to improve the mod
« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2016, 08:57:39 am »
Just wow!  8)

Offline Hazard

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 30, 2016, 01:38:11 am »
I've been wondering if it would be beneficial to have a max throw range setting, mostly for grenades, that's not dependent on strength. It feels more than a little weird when they fly all across a map with open terrain and land exactly where I aimed at when using a strong gal. I've no idea how difficult implementing such a setting would be, though...

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 30, 2016, 02:11:54 am »
@Meridian BA_USE for BT_PSIAMP is attack that use gun damage functionality.

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 30, 2016, 12:03:58 pm »
I've been wondering if it would be beneficial to have a max throw range setting, mostly for grenades, that's not dependent on strength. It feels more than a little weird when they fly all across a map with open terrain and land exactly where I aimed at when using a strong gal. I've no idea how difficult implementing such a setting would be, though...

Acctually the solution is dead-simple: Make grenades heavier. I did just that in my personal mod and it indeed feels more realistic and gives grenade launcher weapons a nice niche (sp?) And the changes do not have to be big, e.g. make the alien grenade weight 5.
However a fixed maximum grenade range setting feels "gamey", it would take away the need for good strength/throwing skills.

Offline Hazard

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2016, 02:12:08 pm »
Is that enough to reduce the throw range of an 80 strength gal? I haven't done any comparisons, but I have a feeling it's near the max strength value where this becomes a problem in the first place.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 30, 2016, 02:53:55 pm »
Range depends on the ratio of strength of the gal to weight of the projectile (try throwing a gun, or a body). Increasing weight does reduce range.

I'm not keen on increasing weights though, as that reduce equipment a gal can carry on top of reducing range. I'd be more in favor of a "throwRange" setting after which accuracy goes down like we have for guns.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #81 on: April 30, 2016, 03:05:49 pm »
Meh. Grenades aren't OP unless you overuse pre-priming (and are super OP with 'instant grenades'). They do get very powerful as you max out your stats, true, that's why Throwing skill was reduced across the board.

Offline Hazard

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 30, 2016, 03:40:38 pm »
Lobbing an alien grenade 45 tiles is still pretty impressive, even if it isn't always spot on. :P

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 30, 2016, 04:12:18 pm »
Real-life baseball players have an impressively strong and accurate throw, so long accurate throws don't surprise me (Especially since a specialized thrower will not improve aiming at the same time). In X-Piratez, it takes a lot of time and training to reach the caps 90% throwing and 80 strength.

Maaaybe 80 is a bit too much. 10 more than vanilla 70 means just +3 tile distance (with light objects of weight 3), but at extreme distance, it means a very big extra "surface" is in range.

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 30, 2016, 04:12:29 pm »
Here some more weapon ideas i had.

1. An gyro-stabilized upgrade of the Harpoon gun. Don't change the ammo, don't change the clipsize, but make that *#+&% thing finally hit something.
2. A radiation grenade with small radius, maybe proxy, Used for clearing rooms BEFORE you enter them. They ideally would do no item damage. Open the door, lob them in, close door, wait.  Boom, enter, smile.  :D

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 30, 2016, 04:44:26 pm »
1 - Harpoon gun has an aimed shot accuracy of 110%, with a good shooter and kneeling, it's not that hard to get even 100% accuracy on short range. Hitting at 20 tiles is perfectly doable. That being said, especially if we do see underwater missions eventually, a new harpoon gun (with fast-firing capabilities?) could be interesting.

2 - Isn't that what stun and incendiary grenades are for? Neither damage stuff, stun for low armors, incendiary for medium ones. Maybe a "ghost grenade" that ignores armor/items and does straight up hp damage would be cool once you research deep enough in voodoo/demons.

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 30, 2016, 05:02:41 pm »
1. Really? I have to recheck the accuracy then, maybe I am simply using it with the wrong gals then....

2. Stun is too weak, flashbang has too little range, willie pete does item damage. I will try molotovs but I was thinking about something bigger, maybe I will try firebombs  ;D I have to check if they do itemdamage, though.

The ghost grenade idea the way you describe it sounds interesting.... 8)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 30, 2016, 05:27:31 pm »
The harpoon gun does have a aimRange of 15, which means you'll lose accuracy early, and it drops quickly too. It is very much a short range weapon but I guess that was the intent. I give it to my close range support gals as its sometimes convenient to stun remotely (ex.: church people who have good dodge).

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 30, 2016, 05:54:51 pm »
Thanks for the tips, Arthanor. And yes, stun weapons needs to be balanced, no two ways about that.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2016, 06:49:40 pm »
Firebomb is meant for exactly that purpose you mentioned. Does it look too hardcore? Sorry ^_^

As for better ranged stun, maybe there is room for some additions. But certainly not something as boring as 'dart rifle +'. Or at least not only :)