Author Topic: Extended Piratez general FAQ/Strategy Guide  (Read 328747 times)

Offline Stoddard

• Colonel
  • in a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • Linux builds & stuff
Re: Extended Piratez general FAQ/Strategy Guide
« Reply #840 on: June 16, 2022, 09:16:40 pm »
TLDR: Would like some advice with dealing with the 2x2 chaingun turrets in ninja bases

3-4 direct hits with RPG HEAT, or 1-2 with AT rockets, or a near hit with a HELL rocket do them just fine. One person can't usually deal with it, so you mass-fire on a single turn, that's true.

2-3 volleys with PS ammo miniguns also work IIRC. I haven't tried Vulcans on them yet.

That said, I find the ninja maps too small too. Nowhere to set up a proper mortar section.

Offline Delian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: June 16, 2022, 10:34:17 pm »
Stoddard you're probably thinking about minigun turrets. 14mm turrets are different and way harder, concussive damage does very little to these.

If you don't have emp grenades, then I think the easiest way to kill them is with Recoilless Rifle. Takes around 4 shots. Attack them at night from 17 tiles away since their night vision is 16 tiles and they won't retaliate.

Offline Stoddard

• Colonel
  • in a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • Linux builds & stuff
« Reply #842 on: June 17, 2022, 12:27:08 am »
Stoddard you're probably thinking about minigun turrets. 14mm turrets are different and way harder, concussive damage does very little to these.

No, Miniguns die from a single hit, 2 if unlucky.  I admit, recoilless will have a bit easier time with them, esp with PS ammo.

Still, HELL rockets rule, they just trash everything around, cause secondaries and are so much fun.

Offline Iazo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: June 17, 2022, 09:41:35 am »
A lower tech alternative is assault cannon+ acid balls. You can fire it out if their range, or out of los with decent accuracy. Takes 3 direct hits.

Offline Apocca

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: July 04, 2022, 11:30:57 am »
Someone also suggested using flamethrower or fusion torch: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,3626.msg147340.html#msg147340

Offline Rubber Cannonball

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: July 14, 2022, 03:15:12 am »
If your squad brought nothing that will work on those turrets and emp is not available, try quad fire with those blunderbusses w/chem shells that the ninjas carry.  Eventually the chem will eat through the turret armor.  IIRC it will take 6-8 shots or so assuming most pellets are hitting.  It should go without saying that this will require an experienced gal and good cover next to her firing position.  Experienced in this case meaning excellent TUs, reactions, and accuracy.  Understand that this is a desperate solution.  Emp grenades are a much better solution.

Offline ontherun

• Colonel
  • Lazy-ass captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: November 02, 2022, 07:25:39 pm »
Hello again! the N2 brings up the xcom: apocalypse equipment craft style, but i don't get it, please how does it work?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2022, 08:52:42 pm by ontherun »

Offline shinr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: November 02, 2022, 09:22:47 pm »
Hello again! the N2 brings up the xcom: apocalypse equipment craft style, but i don't get it, please how does it work?

The simplest way to describe it is that the equipment is now tied more to the Hands/Soldiers than the craft itself.

For example, you equipped the Lunatic Uber via the Hands screen and then assigned her to an Airbus, and thus the items she carried will be automatically transferred over to the Airbus, and will be transferred out if she is unassigned.

The number/+numbers is stuff equipped on the Hands and stuff lying in the craft, respectively, and the former cannot be subtracted via the equipment screen, you need to directly remove the items from the Hand in question. Also, if those items are either fully equipped by the hands or fully lying in the craft, the separation will not be shown.

Offline Ultimoos

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: November 04, 2022, 04:48:55 pm »
I can't believe it was even possible to do. Best QoL feature ever.

Offline GrooveCrusader

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: November 06, 2022, 05:52:30 pm »
Are their any essential techs at the start of the game I should be focusing on? I am aware there is a sort of "time pressure" in the mod in the form of the ninjas that will give you around an in game year till they become a real issue if I'm not mistaken.

I also tend to get stuck 6 or 7 ish months in where my score tanks even though I'm doing well (capturing as much people as a can, researching as much as I can and getting as much runts as possible to produce x-grog/money on the side), I suppose its down to bad luck though at the same time I have horrible feeling I'm likely missing something very obvious like I often do haha.

Offline unarmed drifter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: November 06, 2022, 06:50:25 pm »
Are their any essential techs at the start of the game I should be focusing on? I am aware there is a sort of "time pressure" in the mod in the form of the ninjas that will give you around an in game year till they become a real issue if I'm not mistaken.

I also tend to get stuck 6 or 7 ish months in where my score tanks even though I'm doing well (capturing as much people as a can, researching as much as I can and getting as much runts as possible to produce x-grog/money on the side), I suppose its down to bad luck though at the same time I have horrible feeling I'm likely missing something very obvious like I often do haha.

maybe try this https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,10299.0.html

Offline Gremlion

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: November 07, 2022, 02:51:20 am »
My go-to goes like:
1. Unlock scale mail. You need to unlock cave hunting and do some of them to get chitin plates, then gather them as needed. 30 all around armor makes  the life much easier.
2. Bounty hunting.
3. Shadowmasters for codex crafts. The easiest way to bruteforce them is to repeatedly research hoes, whom you can get like 5-6 per red lantern villa mission. So, second prison asap.
3a Airballs to arm a codex craft if you didn't get lucky. Though, most codices give some weapon and you usually can down a police car to get a gun.

I've checked my latest save and I see that my first crash site was done in May

4. Crazy Hannah. Aircraft weapon, mortars. (Around that time I like to get Rogue field warlords, love the ramjet cannon)
5. Interceptor by the end of the year to get into space

Strategy-wise I expand ASAP, because every new base at the very least means mess hall + sickbay, 2 more brainers. And radar coverage. With the amount of hunter killer enemies just checking by the graph becomes too dangerous.

Offline Paratoos

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: November 12, 2022, 09:32:20 pm »
Scavenging and Treasure Hunting.....How?

If you buy a Recon expedition from the Black Market, you can debrief etc. But I have no idea how to use the Treasure Hunting or get the items needed to do the Scavenge: Antarctica etc.
Any tips?

Offline shinr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: November 12, 2022, 10:44:07 pm »
Scavenging and Treasure Hunting.....How?

If you buy a Recon expedition from the Black Market, you can debrief etc. But I have no idea how to use the Treasure Hunting or get the items needed to do the Scavenge: Antarctica etc.
Any tips?

For me, those unlocked by choosing the Jackass/Triumphant Captain option, and how it works AKAIK is that occasionally you will get a pop-up event (the frequency of which is dependent on the number of bases in the regions) showing a successful/failed treasure hunting.

On failure you get a minor Infamy hit.

On success you get an item in your first base to extract from via manufacturing.

Most of the time, it is crap like Scrap Metal and Chemicals.

But one time, I got THE SINISTER DEVICE OF DOOM from an Oceania scavenging, which is AFAIK is bad for a Golden Codex Captain if the disabled techs in Tech Tree Viewer is anything to go by.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 10:46:37 pm by shinr »

Offline Iazo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: November 13, 2022, 08:36:55 am »
Also, Peasant Revolution.

If you want to get rid of your doom device, make a base in Antarctica or we, and ship it there. Let the first crackdown deal with it, lul.