Author Topic: Re: Meridian's new LP plans  (Read 1398 times)

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Meridian's new LP plans
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2019, 12:37:15 am »
Their greedy hoarding of critical technologies is directly harmful to mankind’s survival.

Offline tarkalak

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Meridian's new LP plans
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2019, 06:52:38 pm »
Everyone is evil? Clearly you know nothing about the lore.

Some time ago I had found a quote from one of the lore authors that said just that. I couldn't find it again unfortunately.

It was something in the line of: "People think that the Eldars are the good guys in edition x, but in reality they are scheming and turncoat race that puts it's own above all else. There are no "good guys" in 40K."

The Imperium went on a xenocidal crusade that was aimed at killing all non-humans in the galaxy. The lore is full of stories how they (especially the young primarchs) save the locals from evil xenos who enslaved them. If you dig deeper you could find some xeno races that were exterminated or nearly so for no reason. And last but not least, most of the lore is written from the point of view of the Imperium.

Every race is good in and for itself but wouldn't mind getting rid of everyone else.
The only exceptions that I know of are the long dead Old ones and the Tau to some extent.

In the end, the universe of 40K was created for a miniatures wargame centered on little plastic men and ... things that do battle with each other. You can roleplay any fight no matter what sides you pick. If you do a WWII Americans versus British, however, it will look pretty silly.

Don't get me wrong I do like 40K. I prefer the Fantasy Warhammer, but the 40K universe is also pretty awesome.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2019, 07:00:32 pm »
I think the point is not to say that everyone is evil, only that everyone does horrible stuff - but mostly because they have little choice. The most obvious example is the Exterminatus: "Some may question your right to destroy ten billion people. Those who understand know that you have no right to let them live."
Some factions, or more like some factions within all the factions, indeed are evil. Well, except for the Dark Eldars, who are all pretty fucked up.
And yeah, Warhammer Fantasy is way better. ;)

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2019, 11:46:21 pm »
Even the dark eldar are victims of situation. They do what they do to keep slaneesh from eating them. Appease the nasty deity with sacrifice and spectacle, since they didn't have soul stone and arc systems. Then bake a culture of sacrifice for survival for a few thousand years. End result is pretty messed up but even then there is moral spectrum. One of the important figures in the Yneed group was a Wytch before she joined for example.