Author Topic: Bugs & Crash Reports  (Read 1460316 times)

Offline holdmyphone

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs & Crash Reports
« Reply #1755 on: July 27, 2017, 09:18:16 am »
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Current piratez is not (yet) compatible with newest OXCE+ , I warned you...

If you can't downgrade... workaround is to delete commendations ruleset from ./user/mods/Piratez/Ruleset/Piratez_Planet.rul
or use the experimental version (attached)

Hey there,

Same issue, compiled OXCE+ source only to find out the current X-piratez isn't compatible... argh! The experimental Piratez_Planet.rul seems to do the trick though, thanks a lot!

Sidenote, as a newcomer, it wasn't clear from the x-piratez mod page that you need OXCE+ and not OpenXcom-extended. It also says to dump the contents of "user" into the "install" folder, which is not exactly clear either. For me I had to do x-piratez/user/mod --> OXCE+/bin/standard to make it work. I feel like this knowledge would save people some grief if it were on the webpage.

edit: Apparently we're not good. The game will start but gives a segfault error and crashes when I try to start a battle. I tried the workaround instead of using the experimental ruleset, but no luck. Am I doing something wrong or should I just hold tight until 0.99H?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 09:52:02 am by holdmyphone »

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: July 27, 2017, 10:37:18 am »
edit: Apparently we're not good. The game will start but gives a segfault error and crashes when I try to start a battle. I tried the workaround instead of using the experimental ruleset, but no luck. Am I doing something wrong or should I just hold tight until 0.99H?

When you start a normal ingame battle or when you use "New Battle" menu option?
 - If normal: please upload a save just before the crash so that I can have a look at it... it should not crash.
 - If New Batttle: please upload your options.cfg and your battle.cfg

And if there is anything useful in openxcom.log, that would be handy too.

Sidenote, as a newcomer, it wasn't clear from the x-piratez mod page that you need OXCE+ and not OpenXcom-extended. It also says to dump the contents of "user" into the "install" folder, which is not exactly clear either. For me I had to do x-piratez/user/mod --> OXCE+/bin/standard to make it work. I feel like this knowledge would save people some grief if it were on the webpage.

I don't know where it goes on linux, but "OXCE+/bin/standard" is not a very good place... it should be something like "some_kind_of_home_directory/openxcom/mods/"
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 11:29:09 am by Meridian »

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: July 27, 2017, 02:49:53 pm »
When compiling to OXCE+/bin/ and running from that directory, it should have the same folder structure as that in the Piratez download, and you can just copy over the folder structure of Piratez to OXCE+/bin/.  Alternatively, you can just copy the executable from OXCE+/bin/ to the decompressed Piratez folder, wherever it is, and run from there.

With the New Battle, you really have to know what you're doing if you don't want it to crash - not all missions work with all terrains. In fact, I'd say most missions are tailor-made to the terrain/map on which they take place. Best to test with a regular campaign rather than using New Battle with Piratez.

Edit:  The user and config folders default to ~/.local/share/openxcom/ and ~/.config/openxcom on Ubuntu for me, so I usually run the game with command line options to look in the same folder as my executable, to keep it all in the same place.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 02:53:14 pm by ohartenstein23 »

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: July 27, 2017, 05:49:42 pm »
You also can't use syns and slaves in new battle (unless I missed how to make that work).
I only use new battle to check the newest items and pedia entries introduced to the mod.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: July 27, 2017, 07:00:09 pm »
You also can't use syns and slaves in new battle (unless I missed how to make that work).
I only use new battle to check the newest items and pedia entries introduced to the mod.

You can, you just have to delete or edit the battle.cfg file so a new set of soldiers is generated, which will include all of those available in the mod.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: July 27, 2017, 07:11:37 pm »
Oh~ thanks  ;D

Offline holdmyphone

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: July 27, 2017, 09:09:56 pm »
When you start a normal ingame battle or when you use "New Battle" menu option?
 - If normal: please upload a save just before the crash so that I can have a look at it... it should not crash.
 - If New Batttle: please upload your options.cfg and your battle.cfg

And if there is anything useful in openxcom.log, that would be handy too.

I don't know where it goes on linux, but "OXCE+/bin/standard" is not a very good place... it should be something like "some_kind_of_home_directory/openxcom/mods/"

My apologies, I mean a normal ingame battle, not the "New Battle" menu option. I just tested this option as well and it interestingly crashes most of the time with a segfault error, but worked once. I am not seeing anything obvious in the openxcom.log, but I'll upload it along with a save and battle.cfg just in case. I've tried putting the piratez user directory to the main folder like it appears in the unpacked x-piratez folder to be sure I'm not just putting the files in the wrong place, but I get the same errors.

When I compiled the game I cloned the git repo to my home folder (which I named ~/OXCE+), then compiled it there using make. It put the resulting executable in ~/OXCE+/bin. Basically the same as https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Compiling_with_Make_(OpenXcom). That's how I got the folder structure I have. Let me know if this method isn't kosher...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 09:43:08 pm by holdmyphone »

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: July 27, 2017, 09:52:00 pm »
Well, I see the issue.

You have compiled the master branch, which is basically vanilla, not oxce+.

For latest oxce+, you need the "oxce3.5-plus-proto" branch, as mentioned here: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4187.0.html
Btw. there are also links to linux builds there, maybe you can just download one of them...

Offline holdmyphone

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: July 27, 2017, 10:35:58 pm »
Well, I see the issue.

You have compiled the master branch, which is basically vanilla, not oxce+.

For latest oxce+, you need the "oxce3.5-plus-proto" branch, as mentioned here: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4187.0.html
Btw. there are also links to linux builds there, maybe you can just download one of them...

Lol! OXCE, OXCE+, OXCE+proto. Ok, I'll try this. I'm on running Arch so I don't think any of those executables are applicable, sadly. Thanks for your assistance.

edit: It works(so far)! Thanks again.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 11:22:33 pm by holdmyphone »

Offline Zharkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: July 28, 2017, 05:34:39 pm »
nomenclature

Offline KiriKaneko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: July 30, 2017, 01:12:42 pm »
I've noticed 2 weird things since I started the new version
1) Academy sectoids?

I had a distress beacon so I went there and it was academy. Took down 2 cyberdisks and about 5 academy people. They looked like 2 academedicians, 2 academy nurses, 1 academy security and 1 academy explorer. I mistook the explorer for a beastmaster and shot it but KOd the rest. However early on we were taking wounds so I started dragging academedicians into the landing craft and it said they were sectoids. After the fight it said I had captured 3 sectoids.

2) Naming back to normal XCOM

Aye and Nay are Yes and no again. Difficulty settings are as normal with the highest being superhuman. The UFOpedia has the normal names and armor comes under heavy weapons platforms. There are still some things that are piratez like my soldiers being called hands and the new building names though

So I don't know. Are these bugs? Were those academy humans really sectoids?

Offline Roxis231

• Colonel
  • Catching the feral kitten hiding in my rubish bin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: July 30, 2017, 01:37:12 pm »
Do you have the language set en-US? if you don't you can get problems like that.

Offline KiriKaneko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: July 30, 2017, 02:38:08 pm »
That fixed it, thanks!

Offline Mechanique

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: July 30, 2017, 09:55:27 pm »
Is this normal?
http://imgur.com/a/0aYIL
Out of nowhere, Academy spawned 10-ish ships in single region (not all yet detected on screenshot) on sway government mission, including some of the heaviest ones and terror ship. 3 ships then went to land in exact same spot.

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: July 31, 2017, 09:02:32 pm »
Have plenty of plasma pistols in stock, researched and all that, but I can’t equip them. Is that supposed to be? I can equip plasma subrifles just fine.