aliens

Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3610385 times)

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99J3 - 7 Jul - Harvest Moon
« Reply #5610 on: July 07, 2018, 05:16:44 pm »
Any comment on the grenade timer change? (grenades now have a fixed timer of 0)
I actually had a good use for timer 1 HE grenades -  clearing the evil grass in front of my craft. Set the timer to 1 so it explodes after your doors have closed.

Is that the change?  Because I didn't notice any difference; I threw a 0-timer hellerium grenade at a boomosaur (the same way you deal with a triscene, which the boomosaur basically is anyway just with fire rockets instead of sonic cannons) and as always, it exploded when I ended my turn.  I even did a quick battle to test a variety of grenades, and their timers still functioned the same way; you can set them to 0, 2, or 5 and they'll respectively blow up now, later, or much later.  So now I'm really confused about that comment regarding grenades exploding next turn.

Also I think at the end of a turn, all automatic doors close first before any grenades go off.  So you'll probably be safe even if you drop a 0-timer grenade right outside the door.

Edit: That quick battle was a Lokk'naar Farm mission, and I was surprised when I got a lot of score at the end apparently due to all the uber wheat I recovered from it.  Is that intentional, like the spectators in the Aircar Race mission?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 05:18:53 pm by BBHood217 »

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5611 on: July 07, 2018, 05:29:36 pm »
Oh, wow, a new version! I haven't been able to try the previous one yet, lel. Testing this one, the Bootypaedia got some modifications, such as easy-to-read bonuses that apply and such. Unfortunately some of them cut the text (for these weapons that have long descriptions), and several of them don't have that shortcut yet.

In any case, the plantations take advantage of the new feature about building stuff above an existing building, but I haven't been able to check more. I suppose you'll have to build a new hideout to take advantage of these farms.

Offline Eddie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5612 on: July 08, 2018, 02:59:33 am »
@BBHood217

I haven't had time for ingame tesing yet. I just looked at the ruleset. HE grenades now have "fusetype: 0", which according to the OXCE readme is "can prime, set fixed time of 0 turns."

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5613 on: July 08, 2018, 04:29:34 am »
The grenades are still working the same as always, so I really have no idea.  I hope we get a more detailed explanation on what's supposed to be new with grenades now, because I'm really not seeing any of it.

Edit: I did some more quick battle testing, and now I see what's new.  Some grenades like the HE grenade have lost their timer controls; when you prime it, it skips the timer setting and it's automatically set to 0.  However, some other grenades like the hellerium grenade and high explosive still have their timer controls so there's no fear in having a barrel bomb blow up in your face while trying to destroy the red barn.

Now all we need is a clear indication of which grenades have timers, because even the ANAL button makes no mention of them.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 04:47:44 am by BBHood217 »

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5614 on: July 08, 2018, 07:09:07 am »
well farming is....impressive so far, one normal one covers the cash operating costs for 2 others so if you have the initial investment materials all the sectoweed and boom fruit you could ever want.

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5615 on: July 08, 2018, 11:54:19 am »
Oh yeah, something I forgot to point out in case someone didn't know this: Apparently, with the new version, whenever you use the Aye-Phone (and similar devices), by pressing ALT on the Battlescape, you can see yellow arrows noting down the detected movement for an easier reading of the lectures. Quite cool.

There are also new enemies who don't seem to be fully implemented yet, but will be quite familiar for those X-COM veterans.

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5616 on: July 09, 2018, 06:13:54 am »
Allow mods to define whether a unit can be captured alive. Cyberdisc and Sectopod are now uncapturable in vanilla.

So for the next version, can all the enemies that explode on death finally be capturable if they get stunned without blowing up?

Make Boomosaurs Capturable Again

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5617 on: July 09, 2018, 12:24:21 pm »
Would it be possible to make dogs, blood hounds, reapers and cats a soldier type like dogs are in X-Com Files?

Alos, how about Gold Codex geting celatids and chryssalids? If Church can do it, surely we can do it better.

Offline AlienZimogor

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5618 on: July 11, 2018, 03:49:49 am »
Is this a normal and works as intended:
1. Terror at first month?
2. Unbalanced monsters like a dogs and hounds on a first month?
3. Enemy with laserguns at first month?
4. YOU WITH SNIPER RIFLES, LASERS, HEAVY ASSAULT MACHINEGUNS, RPG'S, CAWS, AT FIRST MONTH?
5. Sniper-like rifles less effectively like a sniper weapon(one-shot kill) than bombard, due to unworked 999% hitchance?
6. Almost half weapons worse than bombard?
7. Frustrating experience after pressing "ABOARD" button?
8. 90% of all weapons - trash?
9. What is the point of researching low-weapons, if you get at the beginning of the game stuff on a several tiers higher and examine them instead of wasting time for researching garbage?
10. Experience and hit/sight system?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #5619 on: July 11, 2018, 06:09:14 am »
Yes.

1. Lucky.
2. Scared by puny dogs? You have much to learn.
3. Lucky.
4. Me?
5. What is unworked hitchance?
6. More than half are better!
7. This one got me curious. What is ABOARD button and what kind of frustrating experienced does it dispense?
8. Even those better than bombard?
9. Pssst. That is a mystery.
10. Experience is intended. Hit/sight system, no idea, but it sounds cool.

Offline Zippicus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5620 on: July 11, 2018, 06:22:07 am »
Is this a normal and works as intended:
1. Terror at first month?
2. Unbalanced monsters like a dogs and hounds on a first month?
3. Enemy with laserguns at first month?
4. YOU WITH SNIPER RIFLES, LASERS, HEAVY ASSAULT MACHINEGUNS, RPG'S, CAWS, AT FIRST MONTH?
5. Sniper-like rifles less effectively like a sniper weapon(one-shot kill) than bombard, due to unworked 999% hitchance?
6. Almost half weapons worse than bombard?
7. Frustrating experience after pressing "ABOARD" button?
8. 90% of all weapons - trash?
9. What is the point of researching low-weapons, if you get at the beginning of the game stuff on a several tiers higher and examine them instead of wasting time for researching garbage?
10. Experience and hit/sight system?

Short answer, yes it's working as intended.

Long answer

1-4 are all sort of related.  The missions are all pretty random so you can get most missions at any time, like the mutant pogroms (terror missions).  If you can beat enemies carrying lasers, machine guns, rpg's, etc with your trusty muskets, handles, etc. then you'll get those as loot if you can manage to win.  Bring body bags for the harder missions if you try.
5. really depends on the enemies you hit with snipers/bombs, everything has different armor levels and resistances vs piercing (sniper) and concussion (bombs). Terrain is a factor here too, different weapons are better suited to different terrains.
6. Bombs have always been pretty cool, not sure if they're better or worse, like the answer to 5, it depends on what you're bombing.
7. no idea what you're talking about here.
8. One mans trash is another mans treasure.  As you start dealing with more enemies (and there's a lot of different enemies) you'll have to revisit some of the "trash" weapons.
9. A lot of research needs lower tech items researched before it unlocks, that being said I generally don't bother researching individual weapons very often unless I need something specific.  I rely on prisoner interrogations and stuff like gun almanacs for all the weapon unlocks.  Also, sometimes you need to have a weapon researched to be able to buy ammo for it on the black market.
10.  exp is fine IMO, the LOS system is kind of flakey but you'll get used to it over time.

Offline doctor medic

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99J3 - 7 Jul - Harvest Moon
« Reply #5621 on: July 11, 2018, 11:33:54 am »
Dont forget that until you research the mutant alliance all mutant pogroms dont have such a big infamy loss in comparison as having it researched,the difficulty also depends on how many enemies spawn which may also be a good thing as you get more stuff to play with.

Dont forget that without having line of sight (green square with number instead of red) with the gal you are trying to shoot an enemy she will have a penalty to her accuracy,the bootypedia should explain a lot of the mechanics and some of the #xxx files you find around from interrogations or decrypted data disks.

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5622 on: July 11, 2018, 02:38:18 pm »
Did you try the sniper rifle with a gal that doesn't have a very high aim stat? Because then it really is terrible, you don't give weapons for highly trained professionals to amateurs.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5623 on: July 11, 2018, 04:54:30 pm »
Did you try the sniper rifle with a gal that doesn't have a very high aim stat? Because then it really is terrible, you don't give weapons for highly trained professionals to amateurs.

to clarify this, most sniper weapons calculate accuracy as 0.01 of Fireing skill squared. A poor skill gal will be extra bad and only a high skill(above 80) will get effective accuracy.

Offline Ridаn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5624 on: July 11, 2018, 08:11:54 pm »
Just wanna say that this grew to be one of the most fun games Ive ever played.
Sheer amount of content, built up setting atmosphere, variety of tactical options, micromanagement hell that pays off, and all the QoL options that were built up to support this piece - its just staggering.
I wish I had more than 24 hours a day sometimes, just to dedicate a couple extra on every single newest release.