aliens

Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3610160 times)

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99J2 - 9 Jun - Bogeyman Boogie
« Reply #5580 on: June 27, 2018, 09:17:56 am »
Much of the content of Piratez is setup in such a way that not completing something fully is okay. More score is obviously worthwhile for the financial gains, but as long as your still positive, and not to far behind the tech curve, your doing fine.

A interesting quirk is that terror missions don't have negative score for ignoring them until a certain tech is researched. Ignoring them in the very early game is reasonable.

The general order of priorities is, preserving your gals>getting loot>winning the missions completely.

Offline Fiskun1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5581 on: June 27, 2018, 10:03:43 am »
Much of the content of Piratez is setup in such a way that not completing something fully is okay. More score is obviously worthwhile for the financial gains, but as long as your still positive, and not to far behind the tech curve, your doing fine.

A interesting quirk is that terror missions don't have negative score for ignoring them until a certain tech is researched. Ignoring them in the very early game is reasonable.

The general order of priorities is, preserving your gals>getting loot>winning the missions completely.
Thanks for the advice!
I'm newbie to this mod and I do not know all of its features yet, but it seems strange to me that I'm offered an impossible mission at the very beginning of the game.
Of course, I can not know in advance that this mission can not be carried out...

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5582 on: June 27, 2018, 10:25:03 am »
The first terror mission is winnable, but its more of a challenge then its truly worth.

Like playing a Dark Souls nude run. It's doable, but neither a needed or sensible thing to try for the vast majority of players.

You also got a bit unlucky that it was your second ever mission. There is a good amount of RNG in what will spawn during a given month.

Offline Zippicus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5583 on: June 27, 2018, 10:52:48 am »
Except for a few scripted events the missions are all pretty random, its fairly rare to get a mutant pogrom (terror mission) very early in the game but as you found out it's certainly possible.  It's hard to give any "one size fits all" advice regarding mutant pogroms since the difficulty level really depends on what faction you have to deal with.  At the very least you'll want some decent armor like tac vests or warrior armor and some decent heavy weapons to deal with the more troublesome heavy units like tanks and whatnot before you take a crack at one. 

Offline Fiskun1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5584 on: June 27, 2018, 11:05:56 am »
Mod is very unusual and interesting, so I'm especially sorry that from the very beginning I have to do loading / saving many times, only because the game offered me an impossible mission ... this is not enough logic from the point of view of the game interest.
It seems to me that it would be a good idea to take into account the progress of the player, otherwise the game process from the very beginning of the game looks rather tedious ...

Offline Zippicus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5585 on: June 27, 2018, 11:39:29 am »
Mod is very unusual and interesting, so I'm especially sorry that from the very beginning I have to do loading / saving many times, only because the game offered me an impossible mission ... this is not enough logic from the point of view of the game interest.
It seems to me that it would be a good idea to take into account the progress of the player, otherwise the game process from the very beginning of the game looks rather tedious ...

I think the intent is to have each game be a different experience to add to the replay value rather than having each game be a similar experience like the standard X-com game normally plays out.  All that being said, sometimes the game does kick you in the nuts.  The game before last I played, my first 3 months of mission were all terrible missions with mercs and zombies and I almost lost due to negative score, but most of the time it's fine.

Offline Fiskun1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5586 on: June 27, 2018, 11:51:11 am »
I think the intent is to have each game be a different experience to add to the replay value rather than having each game be a similar experience like the standard X-com game normally plays out.  All that being said, sometimes the game does kick you in the nuts.  The game before last I played, my first 3 months of mission were all terrible missions with mercs and zombies and I almost lost due to negative score, but most of the time it's fine.
I largely agree with you.
But now my game is as follows: I arrive on a mission, they kill me, I reboot, they kill me, I reboot three more times, then I understand that I can not win and fly away.
And this is at the very beginning of the game!
I think it would be logical to somehow warn the player of the complexity of the upcoming mission, so that he could deliberately ignore it or simply limit the appearance of such missions in the early stages of the game.
Otherwise, the game turns into a tedious process of reboots ... it's pointless and not logical.

By the way, I wanted to ask you more ...
I will be able to somehow recruit new girls, because as long as I do not have such a possibility ... and if all the current girls are killed, then the game will just end?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 11:53:53 am by Fiskun1 »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #5587 on: June 27, 2018, 02:37:52 pm »
If you can't do it, just run... What's the point dwelling on this?

(Inb4 some people come and start lamenting how there are two types of pogrom missions and which one you can ignore etc... Screw that meta, just play and learn.)

Offline Fiskun1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5588 on: June 27, 2018, 02:47:58 pm »
This is very similar to cheating, when you can not do what the game offers you and so you have to do endless reboots.
Although I understand that it just works.
But it does not seem right to me.
The same X-Files, for example, are made much more logical in terms of gameplay.
Although, again, the X-Piratez is very interesting and unusual mod.
I'm a big fan of X-COM and mods for it, so many thanks for the answers and understanding!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 02:51:19 pm by Fiskun1 »

Offline FG

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5589 on: June 27, 2018, 03:21:42 pm »
This is very similar to cheating, when you can not do what the game offers you and so you have to do endless reboots.

This's just wrong mindset. You don't need to win in every battle. This game in not like Firaxis X-Com, with their stupid meta: Do it or Die. In XPZ you WILL face a deadliest enemies, a lot of them. it's a wise choice to run away from the grave. To fight another day :)

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5590 on: June 27, 2018, 03:35:08 pm »
You can see the description of a mission before you get there. Before a certain tech all terror missions are freelance, which means you don't get a penalty for ignoring it (going there but leaving early gives you a negative score, of course).
But it is not impossible to do, and it might yield some nice loot. It really depends on the enemy. (the easiest are the humanists where only KKK losers and some military police show up. The latter ones can be hard to bring down at the beginning, but fire and explosions are your friends)

It also isn't just a Piratez thing. I lost TftD runs where the first mission was a hideout attack. More often you wouldn't find a sub before the first terror mission and had to go there with a green team.

Offline Eddie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5591 on: June 27, 2018, 03:42:03 pm »
@Fiskun1

Have you not played the vanilla game? The very hard terror mission in your first month is actually a carryover from the vanilla game.

You need to learn to play defensively. On your first turn, don't leave your craft. Reason: Enemies have full Tu for reaction fire. You can walk a few tiles out of your craft to have a look around, but end the first turn with all gals inside your craft. Shooting at enemies on the first turn is also very dangerous and should be avoided if possible.
Scout carefully until you know what you are facing. You can do a middle mouse button click (mousewheel) on an enemy to get more info. This way you can see their weapons.

Judging what you can or cannot fight is part of the game. The game does not expect you to win every mission or do every mission. It is your job as captain to pick the right battles.

Idea to help new players: Have a brainer outfit in the starting equipment so that players have an easier time judging opponent toughness.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #5592 on: June 27, 2018, 06:50:48 pm »
It seems, Fiskun, that you're your own greatest opponent. You've forced yourself into an impossible challenge of having your first run ever already be perfect. Before you defeat yourself, and forget these notions of perfection, you will have no chance of surviving here.

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5593 on: June 28, 2018, 01:59:38 am »
Before a certain tech all terror missions are freelance, which means you don't get a penalty for ignoring it

Not entirely true; there's still a score penalty (albeit a very small one compared to its mandatory cousin) for ignoring a freelance pogrom.

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5594 on: June 29, 2018, 08:23:35 am »
Something important to keep in mind with this mod:  You are a pirate, you're not here to stop the injustice, at least at first, you're here to beat people up and take their stuff, hopefully without dying.  You have no moral obligation to follow through on, all that matters is your crew and your pocketbook.

How antihero your crew actually is will be mostly in whatever roleplay you put in, with a few exceptions of actions you can choose to do that are more/less heroic, but really the Lunatics are NOT heroes.

Another one is that you're the new gang on the block, everyone else is established. So you need to be careful not to take on more than you can afford to, your enemies want to kill or experiment on you, your allies don't actually like you much and probably wouldn't object to a firing squad.  You're mostly free to do whatever, but you need to keep your usefulness to your allies higher then their irritation in having to deal with pirates or they'll break the deal.

Being lucky helps too, though.

To answer a question I remember seeing, it's not hard to get access to recruits, peasants are very easy to talk into adventure, and random Uber gangers aren't much harder.  All it takes is research into the right directions.