Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3690412 times)

Offline Arekusandoru

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99E.2 - 18 Nov - Dead in Space 2
« Reply #3795 on: December 18, 2016, 09:04:17 am »
Guys, I've just played two warehouse wars missions and all of the enemies were zombies.  Is it supposed to be so? This is my first experience with Piratez.
Also, can someone explain me the purpose of Workers? Are they supposed to work in the workshop? How can I unlock this building?

Offline CaptainCorkscrew

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Let's Play: XPiratez
« Reply #3796 on: December 18, 2016, 10:27:48 am »
Guys, I've just played two warehouse wars missions and all of the enemies were zombies.  Is it supposed to be so? This is my first experience with Piratez.
Also, can someone explain me the purpose of Workers? Are they supposed to work in the workshop? How can I unlock this building?

I have had some zombie infested warehouses, but in my experience this happens only with a fraction of the warehouse wars missions. Most feature regular weak traders guild guys (and maybe a hostess).

AFAIK workers are pretty much the same as slaves, except that you have to pay them. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Both create negative space.
Yep, that's really weird and unintuitive.
Workers/slaves means you can cram more items in your storage space than you could without them.

Offline tylor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3797 on: December 18, 2016, 11:27:19 am »
Not a bad idea for some special enemy though.

How about combining it with the alienDeployments setting that enforces darkness, regardless of daytime? :P

Btw, torches are quite thematic for pogroms and/or neonazis.

And, honestly, night maps are too night. Why aren't there at least some light sources here and there in inhabited places?

Offline Ragshak

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3798 on: December 18, 2016, 01:19:00 pm »
Your point 1) is what happens with armors marked as INVIS in the Bootypedia, camo is 2) - a reduction in sight range for the enemy on that gal.  And yes, light effects camouflage - 'Day' vision occurs in tiles where the light level is greater than 9, so near any light sources, your gals are seen at the enemies' day vision range minus 'day' camo.  So in the example of an enemy that has 30 day vision and 9 night vision, if you're in a lit-up tile, your painted gal will be seen from 30-12=18 tiles away, while in the dark they will be seen from 9-4=5 tiles away.

To properly use camo at night, this means you need to be at least 9 tiles away from a flare (or similar light source) or have the LOS to it blocked by a wall in order to be 'in the dark'.  This means it's best to do night missions in camo without any light sources, and watch out for enemies with incendiary or those that drop light-emitting items (like personal computers), and to be careful on maps that have their own light sources.

Thanks. So in the end 12/4 from Camo Paint is much better than 5/1 from Guerilla Armor.

Offline just_dont

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3799 on: December 18, 2016, 02:18:04 pm »
And, honestly, night maps are too night. Why aren't there at least some light sources here and there in inhabited places?
Yup, I always considered it pretty strange when you fight on a suburbs map and the only reasonably lit area is the road. Almost all buildings could use a lot more external lighting sources.

There's one very "natural" solution to NV being overpowered - is to apply temporary 1-turn visibility debuffs (camo, light level, anything) on firing most weapons - basically, to simulate muzzle flashes. Which will allow enemies to see you after you fire a gun, thus negating your ability to shoot things with impunity with no risk of reaction fire (which is the most OP part of night vision). But I'm not sure if it's at all possible with current OpenXcomEx.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 02:27:10 pm by just_dont »

Offline Starving Poet

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3800 on: December 18, 2016, 02:58:38 pm »
Thanks. So in the end 12/4 from Camo Paint is much better than 5/1 from Guerilla Armor.

In terms of not being seen, yes - but guerilla's main benefit is the 80% pierce resistance and reaction boost.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3801 on: December 18, 2016, 04:07:12 pm »
Guys, I've just played two warehouse wars missions and all of the enemies were zombies.  Is it supposed to be so?

No, it's pretty rare... You had the misfortune (?) of stumbling on a plague outbreak. At least they're not unable to shoot at you...

AFAIK workers are pretty much the same as slaves, except that you have to pay them. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You are correct.

Electricity is often turned off during emergencies, and I'd say a Pogrom counts as one. But adding more lights is just a matter of making new blocks.

There's one very "natural" solution to NV being overpowered - is to apply temporary 1-turn visibility debuffs (camo, light level, anything) on firing most weapons - basically, to simulate muzzle flashes. Which will allow enemies to see you after you fire a gun, thus negating your ability to shoot things with impunity with no risk of reaction fire (which is the most OP part of night vision). But I'm not sure if it's at all possible with current OpenXcomEx.

It's certainly impossible right now, but I think it's worth discussing if ever a more complicated detection system emerges. For example, spotting by sound.

Offline Arekusandoru

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3802 on: December 18, 2016, 04:44:00 pm »
Thanks for the reply!

Offline Ragshak

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3803 on: December 19, 2016, 12:22:59 am »
"You can't focus" pops up while trying to eat Mutant Meat. What is going on?

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #3804 on: December 19, 2016, 12:42:00 am »
Too much stun damage.  You need to have at least 40 less stun damage than you have current health to eat mutant meat, since it gives you that much stun when you eat it.  This also means you can't eat if your health is under 40.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3805 on: December 19, 2016, 12:51:49 am »
Too much stun damage.  You need to have at least 40 less stun damage than you have current health to eat mutant meat, since it gives you that much stun when you eat it.  This also means you can't eat if your health is under 40.

Perhaps the message should be: "You feel nauseous!" I think this would point to stun damage more clearly.

Offline karadoc

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3806 on: December 19, 2016, 09:07:30 am »
Perhaps the message should be: "You feel nauseous!" I think this would point to stun damage more clearly.
I don't think either of those clearly point to stun damage. 'Nauseous' is a suitable word when eating something, but if there's a wand or something that that also causes stun damage then it wouldn't really fit. Perhaps "You feel like you're about to pass out", or "You'd faint if you did that", or something like that.

[edit]
By the way, I'm personally happy enough with the current message. But I'm use to that kind of stuff from playing lots of Nethack.

Offline Starving Poet

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3807 on: December 19, 2016, 06:05:29 pm »
"If I eat any more, I'm gonna pass out."  :-p

Offline just_dont

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3808 on: December 20, 2016, 12:40:40 am »
So, to answer my own question about early aerial combat.

There are three ways of getting early craft weapons (getting Aircar is quite trivial):
1) Loot. Shadow a (faction) craft, wait for it to land, loot 25mm cannon and some ammo from it. Straightforward but highly random. Also you can't replenish ammo, but it will last for a few interceptions, especially with a good pilot. I could never get a govt. craft with guns early game, so I'm pretty sure that only global faction crafts qualify.
2) Buy. 25mm cannons and ammo become available at "Contacts: Krazy Hanna". However, I'm not quite sure about prerequisites for that tech, and I never could reach it especially early (3rd month at best).
3) Make. Better weapons (namely, 30mm cannon which you can often loot from early crafts) can be researched & built, but for most things above 25mm cannon you'll need Workshop. Which is locked behind Runt Outfit, which is in turn locked behind Durathread research (obtainable from traders and kind of impossible to miss unless you kill everyone and never capture enemies) and "Contacts: Builders' Hall".

Getting to Workshop is extremely important, as most of craft-related production requires one.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 12:45:49 am by just_dont »

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3809 on: December 20, 2016, 01:18:07 am »
There's also the airballs, I think they're called, which can be built without a workshop, I don't remember the materials required though.