Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3577575 times)

niculinux

Re: [TOTAL CONVERSION] Piratez Extended - 0.93 - 19 Aug - Sectoids!
« Reply #525 on: August 19, 2015, 09:54:38 pm »
I think the description hints that you really need to look good (read: beefy) to wear it without ashaming yourself... :) It's for elites, not swabbies.
Btw great LP and it's probably you whom I have to thank for basically doubling the download rate of my mod :) You're going to like the next update (read: moar semi-NSFW material) :)

Reskinned by Yrizoud to make them pretty, then reskinned again by myself to make them less pretty, and incorporated into the mod. Ages ago. ("Industrial Laser").

Ah..actually i like laser reskin..but if thst means no and are no futher chanches, even for other projectsmof yours i'll have to resign...*sob*..

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: August 20, 2015, 01:49:03 am »
openxcom ex + piratez does wonders . nice weapon selection.

Offline Boltgun

• Colonel
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
    • Piratez let's play
« Reply #527 on: August 20, 2015, 11:11:52 am »
I think the description hints that you really need to look good (read: beefy) to wear it without ashaming yourself... :) It's for elites, not swabbies.
Btw great LP and it's probably you whom I have to thank for basically doubling the download rate of my mod :) You're going to like the next update (read: moar semi-NSFW material) :)

Aw, I went back to smokey/gym for swabbies until they can the strength and TU for better protection. Swabbies with strength higher than 35 are rare.

Also yay for NSFW.

That said I hated micromanaging stats and inventory in the original game and yet here you embraced it and made it fun.

Also moving the save towards the new version caused no problem, however...

Spoiler:
The nuclear powered gear research (cannot remember the exact name, I'm at work) led me to a screen with the message 'it make life better', perhaps I was supposed to unlock stuff I already done at this point.

Also I understand that you lose the monsters you captured (even if it was weird to lose my 'tame reaper') when you research them but do slaves die from being looked at? Perhaps it would be possible that the research give the slave back?

Also I did not find what the stats displayed on the screen like 'workshop code' means, did I miss a bootypedia entry?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 12:50:19 pm by Boltgun »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #528 on: August 20, 2015, 12:53:14 pm »
Well, average Swabbie strength is 30, it's not uncommon to end up with half of the starting crew with 40+ Strength... easily the most important stat. The thing you're not going to like is that Throwing skill for swabbies is now 20-60 instead of 40-90; otoh bombs and molotovs are more accurate now to re-balance, so the old crew is going to reap the benefits.

It's strange to hear about micromanagement issues from a Dwarf Fortress modder :) Maybe it's not about micromanagement but meaningful micromanagement... Micromanagement isn't fun unless there is something to really manage imo... btw, I've played your Succubus mod for the DF a while ago, it's really cool, even though DF is a nightmare to play (not because FUN, FUN is good, but the interface is beyond horrible). Kudos for trying to add something new and different to the one-colored world of DF (the color being red) :)

About the research... the tech you've mentioned comes from breaking up Ship Engine research into 3 separate subjects, it normally unlocks power suit (which you already have) and something else, more advanced (in due time).

As for the slave-return - the general mechanic is that any object you research is lost. I could cheat that by making a slave a "living alien" ("slave" object -> research kill -> corpse defined as "slave" object), but it'd mean slaves would take up prison space - they'd have to be way more useful than they are now to go that way, also the whole prison system would have to be redesigned...

The "code" such as $ or S^ is visible in the workshop before the name of a prisoner you're about to enslave, thus indicating what type of slave will be produced.

Another thought, seems that interceptions got too easy with the dodge feature... a single Predator shouldn't really be able to take out a Gunship with starting weaponry :) There will be no knee-jerk reactions though, air combat needs more testing.

Offline Boltgun

• Colonel
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
    • Piratez let's play
« Reply #529 on: August 20, 2015, 01:33:44 pm »
I'm glad that you liked the succubus mod. I got both praises and complaints for making something new that is not without the DF cannon (if DF even have one) but as a whole I like contributing into masterwork Dwarf Fortress and the community in general.

Micromanagement is great when it is rewarding, in xcom I spent hours micromanaging and the end result was everyone wearing flying armor and heavy plasma, the diversity of Piratez really enhanced the game, in the sense that it shows how good and complex it can be.

Anyway, I guess I was unlucky with my swabbies. I have a few with 16 strength and they make my cattle prod suicide squad. Thankfully it grows fast. As for losing the slaves, it's a case where the solution is worse that the problem so I guess I should start producing harpoon clips and bring more captives.

I admit that the predator surprised me. In the last update of the LP you can see that i shot down a gunship, then right after it was mentioned that gunships are too hard for a lone interceptor. :P The predators are really tough thanks to their dodging but at the same time since they only take seagull missiles and those cost an arm so I guess it balances out.

And yes DF's interface is, well... let's say that I stay away from the military screen as much as possible.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 04:44:44 pm by Boltgun »

niculinux

« Reply #530 on: August 20, 2015, 04:43:58 pm »

Another thought, seems that interceptions got too easy with the dodge feature... a single Predator shouldn't really be able to take out a Gunship with starting weaponry :) There will be no knee-jerk reactions though, air combat needs more testing.

+1

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #531 on: August 20, 2015, 08:06:01 pm »
To show off what I've been working on lately... Expanded random portrait list. Currently from 8 to 32. Also cleaning up and improving old paperdolls while I'm at it...

Offline DracoGriffin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Steam: DracoGriffin
« Reply #532 on: August 20, 2015, 08:13:27 pm »
Looks really good!

niculinux

« Reply #533 on: August 20, 2015, 10:41:45 pm »
Looks really good!

sure! Hey taht screenshot reminds mo of good ol'1995 jagged alloance xd

Offline doctor medic

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: August 20, 2015, 10:43:33 pm »
Im stuck with a rocket tank inside my base and i went throught 100 turns trying to find but no no avail,i got around 13 of them and i fear most of them are hiding afk inside 1x1 doors.Is there a way to code so i can see them in the map without line of sight or maybe code in some mercenaries to look inside the doors before the cruiser comes in?Im too tired of looking inside my huge base and i dont have any intentions of losing it.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #535 on: August 20, 2015, 11:07:45 pm »
Im stuck with a rocket tank inside my base and i went throught 100 turns trying to find but no no avail,i got around 13 of them and i fear most of them are hiding afk inside 1x1 doors.Is there a way to code so i can see them in the map without line of sight or maybe code in some mercenaries to look inside the doors before the cruiser comes in?Im too tired of looking inside my huge base and i dont have any intentions of losing it.

You can enable the Debug mode by changing "debug: false" to "debug: true" in your options.cfg file, and then in the game pressing Ctrl+D.

Or you can open the save in a text editor, find all enemy units and give each living one 20 Fatal Wounds. :P

Offline doctor medic

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: August 21, 2015, 12:31:45 am »
I don't think the 20 turn works when there is only a tank in the base here.

Offline doctor medic

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: August 21, 2015, 12:19:28 pm »
I found out that some GO was on the top of a facility and was idle even after the 20 turn mechanic
which means that dioxine has some fixing to do

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #538 on: August 21, 2015, 12:52:52 pm »
Pics or it didn't happen. A save would do as well.

niculinux

« Reply #539 on: August 21, 2015, 08:26:55 pm »
Ah, more an observation than a suggestion, don't know if the point may be of some approval:

1) think that  flintlock weapons should be the default startin firearms, and ready for production since it might be a basic pirate knowledge, so no need to research, instead of the assault handcannon and the boardin gun, that may need to be researched first before are being produced.Assault cannon (wich may be manufacturable since start) is fine as it is now. That might make the game a bit more interesting. But since flintlock stuff is pretty useless against any armored enemy (these deal less than 30 damage)...

...2) make that almost no armored enemies are to be encountered in the early game, let'say for 5-7 months. Flintlocks, as well, as some old fireaarms (spray gun) are virtually useless against them (in that case weapons that deal at least 40 and up damage may be effective), and good only for unarmored enemies. Think that this may also balance game a bitt, making a bit less harder in the beginning.

ok, i think this time is reeeeeeally i have - concerning ideas - for ext. piratex. :)