aliens

Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3609331 times)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: [TOTAL CONVERSION] Piratez Extended
« Reply #165 on: June 10, 2015, 12:23:31 am »
I assumed it was "nameless pre-requisite 11" for something and that it didn't warrant an article.

Well, interesting theory, but there is no empty research in Piratez. Eg. Engineers provide you with either a vessel, a gun, Vodka, Crack or Old Earth Books tech, all of which have articles.

EDIT. The release is almost ready, there were some delays as the Nurse outfit took me a huge amount of time to complete. God I hate making unit sprites. I just need to pull Zharkov's Green Lighter, finish some odds & ends and do some testing. Meanwhile, another teaser pic:

« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 10:43:18 am by Dioxine »

Offline FudgeDragon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 10, 2015, 10:59:57 am »
EDIT. The release is almost ready, there were some delays as the Nurse outfit took me a huge amount of time to complete. God I hate making unit sprites. I just need to pull Zharkov's Green Lighter, finish some odds & ends and do some testing. Meanwhile, another teaser

Looking forward to it. How do these new facilities work? Are we limited to only 10 runts working on product per building? or can we use workshop space as well, providing we've got at least one?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #167 on: June 10, 2015, 11:39:20 am »
You just need to have 1 building of this type on the Hideout to unlock production of certain goods (so far there are 2 types: Still and Mint). These 10 runts are just extras, you can use your full workshop space available. BUT if you have no workshop/factory, just such a building, almost none of the standard items can be produced. Oh and the second item is for Zharkov's Green Lighter :)

Offline FudgeDragon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 10, 2015, 11:42:44 am »
Heh, good to know, sounds an interesting mechanic.

Hmm, Are we still starting with a workshop? or is the still replacing it? ???

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #169 on: June 10, 2015, 11:43:35 am »
or is the still replacing it? ???

God I hope not. :P

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #170 on: June 10, 2015, 12:53:37 pm »
No, no :) You get a Still at the stating base in addition to all the old facilities (but no initial knowledge on how to build more of them). Oh yeah and the $10k monthly bill is deduced from the initial cash reserve, naturally - but you get that little extra workspace at least :)

God I hope not. :P

Like you were playing this mod dude :P

Also, a Question to dear audiences. Here's our Green Lighter (redux). He's sporting an area effect medical device - hope Zharkov likes it! Now - I don't know what should be his 2nd weapon yet. I was thinking of a lighter (teeny-weeny one-shot-at-a-time flamer, with a range of 3 and useful mainly for its devastating morale effect if someone is set on fire), but since Slaves are psi-rods, I'm afraid of giving him a weapon that can seriously hurt a pirate gal. Otoh the medical device is quite good, and things like fists or thrown rocks seem boring. Any ideas?

Offline Edrick

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 10, 2015, 01:04:54 pm »
It looks beyond awesome!
I'm personally perfectly fine with the lighter (hey, is it possible to make it spew green fire?). If he's a psi-rod, any secondary weapon will either be quite useless or make him a potential danger for the gals (IMHO)

Maybe a "less dangerous" weapon would be a longer-range flamer (15 tile?) but deals extremely little damage, to the point of setting only a single tile on fire. Main (and pretty only) use is visibility on night missions?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 01:08:14 pm by Edrick »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #172 on: June 10, 2015, 01:08:45 pm »
Yeah true but Superslave & Green Lighter are fun units and aren't supposed to be super-useful (unless you're really creative), and they have atrocious combat skills, so a quite useless (but imaginative) weapon is perfectly fine :) It is possible to make the fire explosion green, but the spawned fire itself will look normal.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #173 on: June 10, 2015, 01:36:59 pm »

Hey, I speak for the masses! :P

Anyway, I think a micro-flamer would be good. It wouldn't really be that damaging, but the panic potential is hilarious.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 10, 2015, 02:38:56 pm »
Well, interesting theory, but there is no empty research in Piratez. Eg. Engineers provide you with either a vessel, a gun, Vodka, Crack or Old Earth Books tech, all of which have articles.

That's really weird.. I've had plenty of interrogations that didn't yield any report.. I guess they sneaked something in my UFOPaedia then. I'll definitely check next time!

New stuff looks great! $10k for 10 extra spaces is a steal, considering how expensive a workshop is for "only" 30 spaces.

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 10, 2015, 05:32:53 pm »
No, no :) You get a Still at the stating base in addition to all the old facilities (but no initial knowledge on how to build more of them). Oh yeah and the $10k monthly bill is deduced from the initial cash reserve, naturally - but you get that little extra workspace at least :)

Also, a Question to dear audiences. Here's our Green Lighter (redux). He's sporting an area effect medical device - hope Zharkov likes it! Now - I don't know what should be his 2nd weapon yet. I was thinking of a lighter (teeny-weeny one-shot-at-a-time flamer, with a range of 3 and useful mainly for its devastating morale effect if someone is set on fire), but since Slaves are psi-rods, I'm afraid of giving him a weapon that can seriously hurt a pirate gal. Otoh the medical device is quite good, and things like fists or thrown rocks seem boring. Any ideas?

I am still curious how are they going to be tied in the lore. Did you made them functionable i.e. viable tools/assets or more of a fun addition for giggles?

Yeah true but Superslave & Green Lighter are fun units and aren't supposed to be super-useful (unless you're really creative), and they have atrocious combat skills, so a quite useless (but imaginative) weapon is perfectly fine :) It is possible to make the fire explosion green, but the spawned fire itself will look normal.

NvM I read that ^

I would add a small stun gas attack. A 3x3 cloud with medium stun damage. No more than 2-3 uses per battle.
Perhaps the equivalent of a stun grenade.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 05:36:26 pm by pilot00 »

Offline Zharkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 10, 2015, 05:55:05 pm »

Well, I wouldn't give him a real weapon at all, but I think I understand why this might be necessary for balancing. Therefore, I vote for the flamer - he needs something to heat up that bong anyways.

I would add a small stun gas attack. A 3x3 cloud with medium stun damage. No more than 2-3 uses per battle.
Perhaps the equivalent of a stun grenade.

I'd advice against this, because (1) the next "superhero" will be a slave (i.e., gladiatrix) that can be used to catch more slaves, which is boring enough on its own and (2) it would make the green lighter far too usefull.
Spoiler:
As it is, the time giver and explosion might be too much (e.g., you could send a gal in close combat, then send gl after her, giving her tu, use these to get her out of there. Then the enemy shoots gl. Boom.).
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 06:03:00 pm by Zharkov »

Offline Ridаn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 10, 2015, 06:14:45 pm »
Can a Mind Probe with LOS requirement be done with OXE functionality? I was thinking about a Spyglass item, which would function as smaller Mind Probe and has a fixed or lower TU cost.
Dropping a couple of those into starting inventory might be a great help for new players.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #178 on: June 10, 2015, 06:20:49 pm »
Well, I wouldn't give him a real weapon at all, but I think I understand why this might be necessary for balancing. Therefore, I vote for the flamer - he needs something to heat up that bong anyways.

I just don't want him to have an empty hand, plus I have an opportunity to add some silly weapons here, so it's for s**t and giggles. Smoke cloud + smoke cloud is rather a very boring akimbo. Lighter it will be, then. Chances of him using it offensively are next to none anyway.

Can a Mind Probe with LOS requirement be done with OXE functionality? I was thinking about a Spyglass item, which would function as smaller Mind Probe and has a fixed or lower TU cost.
Dropping a couple of those into starting inventory might be a great help for new players.

I don't think it is possible.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 10, 2015, 06:25:15 pm »
That's actually a pretty cool idea! A mind probe with LoS requirement can be done in even regular OpenXCom, that's what the psi line of sight mod does (as well as doing it on psi-amps and on the alien psi-weapon). Not much of a spy glass though, as it would require to be within 20 tiles, but I guess you're really using it to look at your target in details, instead of seeing them from far away.

Another thing that could help new players: A bit of foreshadowing on assault rifles? Something like: "Not all parts of this gun are made equal. With the right combination, we could put some wicked gun together." I sold all the assault rifles I found in the early game because they weren't useful at he time. Now I sorely regret it! It feels like a trap for newbies, since one is sure to remember for a later playthrough.