Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3691036 times)

Offline yuriski

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle
« Reply #8895 on: January 24, 2024, 04:51:07 pm »
Well then, here is my save game.

Thanks anyway for the help and advice.

Offline SufferNot

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8896 on: January 24, 2024, 10:27:43 pm »
Well then, here is my save game.

Thanks anyway for the help and advice.

Do you remember when you unlocked Bounty Hunting? I noticed you had the missions unlocked, but had not unlocked any of the prizes, found any of the trophies associated with doing bounties, and that the pages in the ufopedia were marked unread. This leads me to think you only just recently got the tech for it. Bounties are a huge boon, not only are the missions they unlock great for your score, but their prizes are incredibly useful especially when you don't know where everything is on the tech tree. Simply accrue enough tokens and unlock the thing you need at any given moment, no need to worry about tracking down a rare item or interrogation. I think once those start popping up, you should be good to go.

Anyway, you're not in any sort of unrecoverable phase. Your hands are looking great and you've got good armor and weapons for this stage for them. Your economy is doing quite well, enough that you could set up a radar base on one of the other continents to catch whatever landed ufos are cranking their score up. My guess is its excavators buzzing around, but I'm not as adept at reading the charts as others.

The other piece of advice I would give is to make sure you research any boxes or crates you pick up from missions. They tend to be quick studies and can often have very useful items inside of them.

Offline yuriski

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8897 on: January 25, 2024, 07:45:15 am »
Do you remember when you unlocked Bounty Hunting? I noticed you had the missions unlocked, but had not unlocked any of the prizes, found any of the trophies associated with doing bounties, and that the pages in the ufopedia were marked unread. This leads me to think you only just recently got the tech for it. Bounties are a huge boon, not only are the missions they unlock great for your score, but their prizes are incredibly useful especially when you don't know where everything is on the tech tree. Simply accrue enough tokens and unlock the thing you need at any given moment, no need to worry about tracking down a rare item or interrogation. I think once those start popping up, you should be good to go.

Anyway, you're not in any sort of unrecoverable phase. Your hands are looking great and you've got good armor and weapons for this stage for them. Your economy is doing quite well, enough that you could set up a radar base on one of the other continents to catch whatever landed ufos are cranking their score up. My guess is its excavators buzzing around, but I'm not as adept at reading the charts as others.

The other piece of advice I would give is to make sure you research any boxes or crates you pick up from missions. They tend to be quick studies and can often have very useful items inside of them.

Thanks for the advice!

Bounty Hunting is pretty new, and wow, I didn't think you could do all that with Bounty Hunts (not that I know how to do those things, but I guess the game's gonna tell me).

I think I need a few more hands (and weapons to buy) before I can make a second base.

The fact that my fighting force is in good shape actually makes me more worried. I already did every mission that popped up (aside from the pogrom) and got 100-200 points on all of them, yet still only got so little points in the end. But I guess I can only play on and hope not to lose (I really don't want to start over). Though after playing a bit more, I found something dumb I did that doesn't help with the points, namely, choosing the "Dumbass Captain" research.

Offline SufferNot

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8898 on: January 25, 2024, 08:51:22 am »
With regards to making a second base, everyone's got their own strategy to it and I agree with the idea that having a steady supply of weapons and troops will be useful if you're going to defend them. But some of the unique structures in this mod allow for other approaches. For example, a base with just an access, lift, radar station, and then a bunch of plantations will provide you with radar coverage and passively generate wealth even if there isn't anyone or anything stationed there. Enemies still have a chance of locating and attacking your base, but as long as the plantation was active for more than 2 months you made money overall. You can write if off as an expense and set up another base without having lost anything. And if you have some of these in strategic locations already, then when its time to start expanding to a true secondary base, you can repurpose one of your radar bases and already have some infrastructure setup. Plantations (and a few other facilities) can be directly built on top of, reducing the amount of time it takes the new facility to be built (though you don't get a refund for the original facility).

Offline Iazo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8899 on: January 25, 2024, 10:49:03 am »
So my laptop blew up, so I cannot check for meself, but here is part if the conversation that happened on Matrix about your game.

Sorry man, I will take a look after I get my laptop from the workshop. But you can trust tgese people, they kbow what's what

Offline yuriski

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8900 on: January 25, 2024, 11:48:31 pm »
Ok, June went alot better (5400 score). Thanks everyone for your tips! I just hope it stays that way for a while.

So, now that I did Bounty missions, how exactly do I use those to get research? I am kinda confused with that tip.

Offline SufferNot

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8901 on: January 26, 2024, 12:39:55 am »
Ok, June went alot better (5400 score). Thanks everyone for your tips! I just hope it stays that way for a while.

So, now that I did Bounty missions, how exactly do I use those to get research? I am kinda confused with that tip.

After completing a bounty mission, you'll usually get some sort of trophy item that can be worked by your runts to make tokens. Jack usually gives stuff like execution trophies, the Mutant Alliance is sometimes gives trophies but also sometimes has people you rescue to get their tokens, and the Goblin Bank has old coins, old treasure, money with the word old in front of it. First you have to research the trophy and then use your runts to make tokens. Your runts trade those tokens in for whichever prize you're interested in. The prize then needs to be researched, at which point you'll be able to purchase the item in question on the black market. Prizes follow an order as well. If you want Jack's 30mm cannon (B2), you need to first get and research the B1 prize Confederate Gear.

Also of note is that you can gain access to later bounties, as detailed in the Bounty hunt Lvl D article. Once you have met the requirements, you can move on to rank C missions, which is more pink missions with a higher token return.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #8902 on: January 26, 2024, 12:46:01 am »
And never, ever make more than one item of the same prize. ;D

Offline yuriski

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8903 on: January 26, 2024, 06:12:48 pm »
Ok, it didn't stay that strong the next month. While I am far away from failing, I am also far away from the next rank up, but I guess I gotta see.

Anyway, what color would you recommend for a newbie? I wanted to go with GREEN, but saw that that gives me a craft weapon that, while nice, also can't be used by any of my craft.

Edit: While I have fun with the game, I kinda dislike how it feels like I can't just research what I want (most weapons and armor, etc.), because I need to stay above the curve, so to say.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 06:26:14 pm by yuriski »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #8904 on: January 26, 2024, 11:42:03 pm »
Anyway, what color would you recommend for a newbie? I wanted to go with GREEN, but saw that that gives me a craft weapon that, while nice, also can't be used by any of my craft.

There is no simple answer to that. There are many discussions concerning the topic, for example: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,5805.0.html

What kind of style do you prefer?
Warrior: Red.
Mage: Grey.
Rogue: Gold.
Cleric: Green.

Edit: While I have fun with the game, I kinda dislike how it feels like I can't just research what I want (most weapons and armor, etc.), because I need to stay above the curve, so to say.

Normally I'd tell you not to worry, but your campaign appears to be unusually screwed by RNG, from what I heard. Things will get better, can't stay unlucky all the time!

Offline Psyentific

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8905 on: January 26, 2024, 11:52:11 pm »
Anyway, what color would you recommend for a newbie?
Red Codex provides the most immediately-useful benefits. If you're going Red then it's worth picking up as early as Month 2 due to the armor it provides. Red Codex is the most straightforward and the most killy.

Offline Iazo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8906 on: January 27, 2024, 12:00:42 am »
I would actually advise green instead of red.

The red-specific crafts SUCK. Yes, those are fighting words, but they suck, and they suck bigtime as battle-deployment platforms. (Yes, Scorpion lovers, come at me.)

Unless you go peasants or cats, you will have trouble fielding a decent battle taxi.

Green's shadowcraft lineup is much more rounded up.

Gray and gold are very powerful, but rely on incredibly specialized tools to get stuff done.

Offline Psyentific

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle
« Reply #8907 on: January 27, 2024, 02:35:01 pm »
(Yes, Scorpion lovers, come at me.)
Fuck you, the Scorpion is great. Starting with 2-4 enemy spawns right next to the craft means you can get into melee on turn 1, and the very open nature of the craft forces you to disembark and scramble for cover on turn 1. I agree that the rest of Red's craft lineup is hit-or-miss though. Scarab is basically a heavily-armed Aircar and Snake is awkward and inconvenient.

Offline yuriski

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8908 on: January 27, 2024, 03:42:16 pm »
I know I am annoying, but finding answers to specific questions can be quite hard, I apologise.

So, how many hangars do you normaly build in your starting base? I ran across the problem that I can't do underwater missions with just 2 hangars, and worry I might need a 3rd anyway, but I f'ed up my baselayout a bit, and don't exactly want to destory my workshop and rebuild it.

Also not sure if I can finance (and defend) a true second base.

Offline balam

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8909 on: January 27, 2024, 08:01:32 pm »
Snake carries my airgame hard and its battlescape game ain't that bad. Scorpion sucks when the enemy can dmg you but it's great when they can't.

I know I am annoying, but finding answers to specific questions can be quite hard, I apologise.

So, how many hangars do you normaly build in your starting base? I ran across the problem that I can't do underwater missions with just 2 hangars, and worry I might need a 3rd anyway, but I f'ed up my baselayout a bit, and don't exactly want to destory my workshop and rebuild it.

Also not sure if I can finance (and defend) a true second base.

2 early on, 1 later. I turn my starting base into science base while my second base becomes my "main base" and it gets 2 to 3 hangars. Base space is the most valuable thing in this game and 2 hangars are more than enough to cover your early game. You should get pirate airforce ASAP to get the codex craft (all of 'em can do underwater missions and the gray ship, Fortuna, can even go to the space!).