Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3663714 times)

Offline RolandVasko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - L7 04-Mar-2021 Lucky Seven
« Reply #8025 on: March 06, 2021, 01:32:03 pm »
Thank you for all the hard work. Everything works after playing around for couple of hours. New PEA & LOK armors are very welcome even in deep end-game. Lokks can finally safely stroll around in the caves which is nice. Wish you best of luck in any and all future endeavors.

Pardon the OT but title immediately reminded me of an old~ish and overlooked Bruce Willis movie "Lucky Number Slevin". Everyone should watch it. Intriguing and intelligent script, great thriller plot, lots of cameos. Even tho McLane ain't the star of the show he left his mark. It's basically the last movie in which he acts like he gives a damn.[/i]

do you mean this 1 ? :

@csfd: https://www.csfd.cz/film/189562-nabit-a-zabit/prehled/
@imdb:

Offline Nilex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8026 on: March 06, 2021, 04:18:16 pm »
Ye. Cool thing is no amount of evasion helps against Kansas City Shuffle. The penultimate melee move ;D

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8027 on: March 07, 2021, 06:09:48 pm »
Baby Boomer
:o
Oooh... whats, whats that?
Like a flaregun baby nuke?

Im glad there's a UAC Pistol now.
Used to be the code said it used rifle clips, does it use something else now like eagle mags? (doom 3 pistol was a magnum with six shots I think)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 06:12:03 pm by RSSwizard »

Offline EryliaStarheart

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8028 on: March 08, 2021, 01:23:09 am »
Thanks for the new release, awesome work all around.

Been wondering what happened to the suit assets I submitted awhile ago, though: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,5821.705.html

Certainly spent more time on it than the Skullstrider. If it's not suitable for some reason, I'm willing to adjust anything.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 01:25:41 am by EryliaStarheart »

Offline mercy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8029 on: March 08, 2021, 06:23:24 pm »

Been wondering what happened to the suit assets I submitted awhile ago, though: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,5821.705.html

Certainly spent more time on it than the Skullstrider. If it's not suitable for some reason, I'm willing to adjust anything.

You mean this one?

Cons:
Too many thick black lines. Doesn't fit into the world. Very different style from XCOM or XPiratez!

Pros:
Silhouette of 2nd from left is good.

How to improve:
Observe shading of current armors, how they are done. Forget black value RGB:0:0:0. Use at least 10:10:10 RGB when you wish to define dark colors. Study the TIMELAPSE videos of great pixel artists on YT or any video sharing platform:
If you observe, pure black is anathema to most of these.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftlQHebOfo0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft0ihUxmiqk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ-d8L3zz78
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sij_L2cXdvs

If you applied to our company for a pixel graphics job, you would be rejected for lack of experience. If you wanna eat, you'll have to learn & improve.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 06:25:10 pm by mercy »

Offline EryliaStarheart

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8030 on: March 08, 2021, 08:34:11 pm »
Here's an attempt to replace black outline with grayscale gradient, which is more consistent with overall graphic style but muddier. High contrast is needed for largely monochrome objects to stand out, and of course there's the issue of indexed palette not really allowing for much finesse.

And I'm certainly not applying to any company, I'm trying to contribute to a mod that has amateur production value by definition. It's understandable how this can be a sore sight for actual commercial developer, though, so kudos for not compromising on standards.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 09:25:27 pm by EryliaStarheart »

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8031 on: March 09, 2021, 12:58:53 am »
It look a lot better

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #8032 on: March 12, 2021, 04:15:36 pm »

I didn't find it particularly interesting - it clashes with the style of other armors and doesn't provide any sort of new functionality I'm looking for. So it was stored for possible future use.

Offline JustTheDude/CABSHEP

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8033 on: March 12, 2021, 06:58:47 pm »
Got a question if Car-Tank-Mech-Gyrocopter "path" could be considered (in the far future, of course) to ever be something like "We need a male touch" vs "Gals are superiour"? I quite enjoy this playstyle, yet its very limited (in numbers, but not only) to RNG where you have to pray for "Rogue Fields' Warlords" topic to pop up, or to get lucky in another way with armored columns and mutant pogroms by bandits.

Especially hard later on, with things like "robotic spiders".

Offline EryliaStarheart

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8034 on: March 12, 2021, 07:46:04 pm »
Fair enough, Dioxine, it's your project. I'm open to suggestions for an armor (preferably full body) or visually distinct monster, then. Got enough scavenged assets and ability to tweak them to whip out a decent custom-animated model of just about anything, so feel free to hit me with an idea or concept.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 07:54:04 pm by EryliaStarheart »

Offline gijoe

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8035 on: March 13, 2021, 05:10:02 pm »
Nice; please might i ask for the RCF carabine to get a gunbutt attack?

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8036 on: March 13, 2021, 07:40:00 pm »
Nice; please might i ask for the RCF carabine to get a gunbutt attack?
That's not very realistic. The stock is collapsible.
But you know what is realistic and never gets any attention?
A Bayonet on that RCF Carbine.

Frankly the Battle Rifle would be amazing with one too (the Infantry Rifle has a gunbutt attack). Then your melee character can use that and if they want they can Burst from 2 tiles away.

I noticed is the Combat Shotgun has a gunbutt attack but the sprite for the Trench Gun has a steel plate on the stock, which should be on the other one since its gunbutt strike is replaced with a bayonet. Also since the gun is already shortened (the action mechanism is moved back) the Trench Gun could have a proper bayonet graphic put on it like the Musket has, it doesn't need to look like the dagger itself.

Fun Fact:
IRL soldiers almost never use the Burst (Full Auto) function of their rifles, and generally speaking they perform Snap shots (rapid semi-aimed fire) ducking back and forth from cover.

This reminds me of the STG44 german rifle somehow, I dont think requests go here but that'd be great to give to Humanists/KKK to replace some of those Messers. Itd probably use Homefront Banana clips and be a more refined (higher burst accuracy) version of the Homefront Rifle.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 07:48:20 pm by RSSwizard »

Offline gijoe

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8037 on: March 13, 2021, 08:06:08 pm »
That's not very realistic. The stock is collapsible.

Since it is suppesed to be an old weapon, early m16 version were fairly heavy so it would make sense, the modern m4s instead had a collapsable butt. As for bayonet homefront rifle already has it, so for balancing it would fit as it os now.

This reminds me of the STG44 german rifle somehow, I dont think requests go here but that'd be great to give to Humanists/KKK to replace some of those Messers. Itd probably use Homefront Banana clips and be a more refined (higher burst accuracy) version of the Homefront Rifle.

Would be nice to had these in humanist instructors hands, replacing hydra laser which eventually might become a smuggler weapon instead, for the human goons.

Offline JustTheDude/CABSHEP

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8038 on: March 13, 2021, 09:23:01 pm »
Isn't Battle Rifle kinda STG replacement? Even Humanist Instructor carry them sometimes.

And something "old" in X-Piratez isn't "old" in our times. Action takes place in 2600, so every design from around 2000 is "old".

Offline gijoe

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8039 on: March 14, 2021, 12:18:41 am »
Isn't Battle Rifle kinda STG replacement? Even Humanist Instructor carry them sometimes.

And something "old" in X-Piratez isn't "old" in our times. Action takes place in 2600, so every design from around 2000 is "old".

yes true, but in game there are really ancient likke the 1950's spraygun inspired by m3 grease gun i suppose, not to mention the rusty niner and the ol'catabine, a western lever action rifle...