aliens

Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3610596 times)

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - L5A2 01-Nov-2020 New Energy v2
« Reply #7935 on: November 13, 2020, 10:37:16 pm »
That's a problem on your end, RSS.
Check few posts/a page back when Jimboman had same thing and issue was his overly aggressive AV.
No AV installed.
I use Samsung Internet Browser on mobile.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #7936 on: November 14, 2020, 06:47:32 pm »
People come up to me with all sorts of cool content lately, so there's a little proof I'm not sleeping myself either; a sneak peek on 4 of 8 new gal avatars whom I'm adding now.

Offline JustTheDude/CABSHEP

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7937 on: November 16, 2020, 01:25:45 pm »
I especially like the fourth one, the "punk/pirate" style suits gals well.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #7938 on: November 24, 2020, 02:58:26 pm »
The Skullstrider armor (gfx by Erylia Starheart) is added to the game, with sea and space versions; space version is a bit gimmicky, as you will find out. Available for both Lokk'Naars and Gnomes.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7939 on: November 24, 2020, 10:15:07 pm »
The Skullstrider armor (gfx by Erylia Starheart) is added to the game, with sea and space versions; space version is a bit gimmicky, as you will find out. Available for both Lokk'Naars and Gnomes.

Love the new Terrain graphics. They might not be so new but its different than I remember. Also im glad theres a Mana bar.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #7940 on: November 28, 2020, 05:02:26 pm »
The blue "mana" bar is your freshness.
New mechanic. Determines how "exhausted" your crewmate is.

Empty "mana" bar means your character is so tired they can't even move/shoot anymore.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7941 on: December 02, 2020, 08:52:37 pm »
YAY I got Piratez to work on my mobile.
For me mostly it was a concern with disk space on the device rather than ram, but they are linked. A useful tip for others, you can trim some of the music files out and then modify the .rul files to remove specific mentions of them (hey I kept the ones I like the most, they are hard to choose from!).

The problem im running into is without a tech tree viewer on mobile I cant figure out what I need to research to Recruit the castaway gals I am piling up from red panterns and highwaymen. And they are taking up prison cell space... I really need to get those Gals to replace some of my existing Hands. Ive got one lady laid down for 77 Days because she took a poison gas grenade in a pogrom.

(As for Meridian if he wants to put a mobile tech tree icon the best place to put it would be in the Research window upper right corner. This is where he might draw the line, I dunno, but it is sorta essential for many mods, even TWoTS. Thats the only location where you really scratch your head, so it doesn't need to be anywhere else).

Also, whats the "Ghost" status icon for incapacitation? I kinda figured it means the unit is permanently stunned for the remainder of the battle but theres no explanation in the Bootypedia articles. Like super-stunned or something.

Only issue ive had so far (im on L4 version) is I had a Highwaymen/Rescue Gal map where I neutralized both of the Highwaymen... but the map didn't finish. I covered all the outside ground and the house, there was no 3rd unit. One of the highwaymen was knocked out but he didn't get back up. I had to manually loot the map over 5-7 turns to leave. It hasnt happened since though.

Overall im Very pleased with the touches that have been added to the game. Especially the Windows on the Airbus, the "Cold Icy Farm" terrain set, and the other illustration work. I got caught off guard with those Airbus windows twice (a Necropirate blasted a blunderbuss through it, and a Humanist lobbed a frag grenade into it). Also... changing the Interception icons for radar blips, I was very surprised when I saw my first Medium size ship on the radar... It was a true WTF moment especially because it was coming towards my base, it was just one of the two story civvie ships though.

Also for Dioxine I got some goodies here, these are Remastered Quake 1 Sounds. And I know there are remastered Doom sound effects out there, so you might want to consider updating the equivalents. These are 44khz mostly, and 22khz from what the readme says. The Doom remastered sound effects are in a .wad package and I think they are in 32khz format but converting them up to 44khz shouldn't be a prob, it can be found easily on google (the shotgun, ssg, explosion, pistol are all very much worth it).
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rALHdyZx_OzAsSOmhKnMtoeBQErbZsNW/view

The higher quality nailgun and double shotgun from Q1 I know can benefit.

Might also suggest from the Quake 1 sfx using the rocket explosion to replace the stock Xcom 1 explosion. Its meaty but not a giant kaboom, and could be tweaked. And/or used as custom explosionHitSound for many of the grenades.

Its Always been disconcerting to me that Xcom 1 grenades just sorta go "pliff" and its like, what was that, but it does damage. It works fine for smoke grenades and kitchen stoves going off, but its barely a party popper for a real explosion.

Even the Big Explosion sfx could stand for a tuneup. My suggestion would be the "Artillery Cannon Impact" from the original Command & Conquer game (tiberian dawn). It is a loud punching blast similar to the TFTD big boom. But not a big whoosh like the baby nuke blast.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7942 on: December 02, 2020, 11:43:55 pm »
snip
The problem im running into is without a tech tree viewer on mobile I cant figure out what I need to research to Recruit the castaway gals I am piling up from red panterns and highwaymen. And they are taking up prison cell space... I really need to get those Gals to replace some of my existing Hands. Ive got one lady laid down for 77 Days because she took a poison gas grenade in a pogrom.
snip
Also, whats the "Ghost" status icon for incapacitation? I kinda figured it means the unit is permanently stunned for the remainder of the battle but theres no explanation in the Bootypedia articles. Like super-stunned or something.
snip

If on mobile i would suggest the online pedia https://www.xpiratez.wtf/en-US.

The ghost icon indicates overstun status which causes minor health loss while stun is 3x or more current hp. A badly damaged enemy can be killed if left in the status unattended, but if its caused by more pure stun weapons like stun baton the target will usually recover on there own without much risk.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #7943 on: December 03, 2020, 02:16:48 am »
Frankly, the mod was not designed to rely on, or indeed even use, the Tech Tree Viewer.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7944 on: December 03, 2020, 10:11:56 pm »
Thanks guys, actually it was next on my research list (loot distribution) and I hit it shortly after I posed the question. I tend to do that alot in my life somehow.
Im glad theres an online viewer.
I think I saw overstun happen in TWoTS but the icon for it was a Snowflake. Overstun makes alot of sense, after all you can just slip into a coma - maybe theyre not technically dead but its like getting your leg blown off, you wont be fighting again and can be written off as dead.

Edit:
There's another Sound Effect I think might be good for the game
The DD44 Dostovi from 007 Goldeneye
Its a Heavy Pistol sorta gunshot that I think would work great for the Manstopper and possibly the Handcannon and desert eagle thingy.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 10:50:49 pm by RSSwizard »

Offline Jimboman

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7945 on: December 04, 2020, 01:18:34 am »
its like getting your leg blown off, you wont be fighting again and can be written off as dead.

I don't think so, never heard of Douglas Bader?  Of course he was a pilot rather than a soldier.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Bader

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7946 on: December 04, 2020, 10:26:29 pm »
I don't think so, never heard of Douglas Bader?  Of course he was a pilot rather than a soldier.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Bader
Yeah but thats not ground combat role as a specops soldier. Even some bad tendon stuff can sign you out of being effective. Those 70 TUs become 35 and itll take 6 months to recover not 6 weeks.

Almost complained about my MagLite disappearing like it was some kinda bug - until I read the article about it and noticed the %fail chance had been added. Because power players like me will throw the damn thing all over the map like a football. Happened in a Rat Cellar and I was like, huh what was that, thought it was a map bug.  8)

Definitely got caught off guard a couple times about the HE Grenade being isExplodingInHands now, I shouldve been tipped off about the usual primer selection not coming up. And it takes a really surprising number of TUs to actually throw it (also hadnt realized till now that picking up any item costs like Twenty TUs compared to the original 8 ). Its no complaint at all, I just wasn't expecting any of that stuff to change.

It makes combat pretty slow now.
Its practically down to D&D full round actions and standard actions.
I deal alot in strategies that involve dropping things and reloading guns off the ground. And new york reloads with pistols stacked in the backpack (why reload a dinky pistol when you can just carry more of them - hey 6 Backpack Slots is 60 Holdout Pistol shots, NO reload cost).

I do have another question:
Now that Damage Flashes on targets are installed, pretty groovy, its sorta easy to figure out what they mean.
But what does it mean when the target flashes WHITE?
Presumably if it didn't damage them at all they'd not flash a color.
Also, im just assuming here, that dark/black means Stun Damage.

Also whats the difference between flashing red,abd flashing Solid Red?
I noticed some people taking health loss without flashing happening at all too.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 10:34:15 pm by RSSwizard »

Offline Nilex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7947 on: December 04, 2020, 11:00:02 pm »
White flash is solely armor damage. Red intensity signifies level of inflicted health damage. CTRL+H also confirms this. Noticed flashless damage too, always when own troops get shoot at, so I must exercise care not to save over previous good condition.

Your grenade throwing observation explains my complete abandoning of the tactic - too TU costly ergo worthless. Can't retreat and always causes reaction fire, same reason I never used them in OG games. Enemy never spawns or moves in tight clusters. But themselves are pretty annoyingly effective however. Had a Merc Commander lob one across 4 "map squares". Longer than all weapons except Sniper aimed shoot, lol.

Prolly wouldn't use nades even if they were left in useful state. Situations where they are handy are just too circumstantial and rare. Magnums (Scoped then Super) + Cattle Prods were my main arsenal for a good year, then I added fantastic Infantry Laser for back line snipers, and almost peed myself in ecstasy after discovering EuroSyndicate Laspistol. It could cost 2M a pop and I'd still buy 20 of them! Pairing than with Shock'a'Fist, and few anti heavy armor pieces when needed make me feel fully prepped. If only the situation was that clear with mid-tier personnel armors.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 11:05:09 pm by Nilex »

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7948 on: December 05, 2020, 01:27:29 am »
I encountered the flash issue in a pogrom with an armored car that spawned trapped in a map corner.
I brought the Cannon to deal with it and a Pickaxe but the Pick didn't really do much to it. Sometimes the Cannon did solid red damage, other times itd flash White.
So im like  :o
(Can armoured cars get stunned?)

In OG xcom grenades are actually OP and I used them just as much as the potent weapons, so ill teach you a lesson here.
It gets you a Very Strong advantage to research Alien Grenades/Sonic Pulsers early on.

In the days before preprimed grenades...
Set your Grenadiers up with one in each hand at loadout.
Id have 2 Grenadiers possibly 3.
The first combat round prime both of them, for each Grenadier (4-6 grenades are ready)
Use the Tank/Coelecanth to scout.
Use Rocket Launcher sniper or Grenadiers to kill Everything.
It may trigger reaction fire potentially but usually only if you Prime+Throw (75% TU hit)... and as an indirect weapon you can throw it over a hedge and they cant respond.

Send in Autocannon/HE dudes to be on call.

Rifle is one of the most useless weapons in the game. But the Laser Rifle is okay. And the Laser Pistol is just a sidearm for an Autocannon dudes so he doesn't get 'hoist on his own petard. I guess the L.Pistol is kinda like a shotgun for close quarters work but I wont use it past 4 Tiles unless im laser spamming.

There is also the (in)famous Great Grenade Relay that has sorta, but not totally, been shut down in x-piratez. Grenadier tosses one to fellows and they each route that grenade to the soldier who'll actually throw it. However, in Xpiratez the Instant Shot grenades (boom fruits, molotov, BP bomb) are just as convenient - 45-50ish TUs to light and throw isnt too bad.

In X-piratez ive tried the Eurosyndicate route and I find that the hit missions just complicate the game too much. Rebel Generals always seem to get obliterated or ornery about being hard to take down, so his power armor parts are hard to scavenge.

I forget what combos I normally use in past playthroughs (up to version J).
I use Kustom Handcannon alot and a helluva lot of Firebombs.
Also Boom Guns and Adv. Rocket Launcher.
For anti-armor its usually Rail Drivers and I savescum the low damage rolls. Its like, nope my Rail Driver is gonna do its 140 damage.

Lasers are good for putting someone under stun. You give them the Small Launcher pop and then pinprick them with a laser till they collapse.

Early game I figured that out with Holdout Pistols and the Dog Bark. Bonk them and then pinprick until they fall over. They usually dont die.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 01:31:53 am by RSSwizard »

Offline Nalca

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7949 on: December 05, 2020, 10:23:30 am »
(Can armoured cars get stunned?)
I don't know for this version, but in earlier version a gal could stun a tank by hitting it with an electro-sword.