Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3610667 times)

niculinux

Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - J11 - 27 Jan - Slaves, or Soldiers?
« Reply #6720 on: February 07, 2019, 12:37:21 am »
I guess that change was made to mostly help people who choose to use hordes of slave soldiers from the start, since buying weapons for +12 slave soldiers can impact your cashmonies in a somewhat significant way, but not by much, and slave soldiers can't just lug around flak cannons and lmachineguns like its not big deal.

Really for sure 🙂

I can confirm this. At least the initial airbus landing spots are 100% scripted, if you start in europe. There are the same 6 spots: spain, ireland, scotland, iceland, denmark and bosnia.

@Dioxine: please it may be even possible to make enemy landings and flights completely random from the start?

Edit: @Dakkdakk: if you even care, please share your exprtience/game footage with slave soldiers here :)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 12:41:35 am by niculinux »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #6721 on: February 07, 2019, 03:33:27 am »
I guess that change was made to mostly help people who choose to use hordes of slave soldiers from the start, since buying weapons for +12 slave soldiers can impact your cashmonies in a somewhat significant way, but

No, it's unrelated. It was one of these early-version relics that had to be fixed. Who'd pay $10k for homefront rifle, anyway? It seemed too unrealistic to tolerate any further.

@Dioxine: please it may be even possible to make enemy landings and flights completely random from the start?

They are, mostly. Except for a few scripted events like Academy Airbuses (but even these have random timings). Still landing places are random... to the extent the game allows it. Saying they're "scripted" to land in one of 6 rather large areas of Europe is true, but also doesn't really help, because it's still impossible to predict which one will be choosen and what exact spot.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 03:38:06 am by Dioxine »

niculinux

« Reply #6722 on: February 07, 2019, 12:24:32 pm »
They are, mostly. Except for a few scripted events like Academy Airbuses (but even these have random timings). Still landing places are random... to the extent the game allows it. Saying they're "scripted" to land in one of 6 rather large areas of Europe is true, but also doesn't really help, because it's still impossible to predict which one will be choosen and what exact spot.

Ok, I see, i just wonder if even a bit may be changed, it's since i play xpiratez (almost 3 years, on and off  :o :o) these things happen from the very first relases  :'( :'(

Offline Dakkdakk

• Colonel
  • Dirty, dangerous, and kinda sexy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6723 on: February 07, 2019, 01:38:00 pm »
Edit: @Dakkdakk: if you even care, please share your exprtience/game footage with slave soldiers here :)
My experience with slave soldiers can so far be summed like this:
slave soldier #11 is hit by a random shot from a civilian carrying a six shooter;
slave soldier #11 falls unconcious;
Gal #2 uses bandages/first aid kit on him just for the bravery increase;
back in the hideout, slave soldier #11 is eventualy discharged (read: kicked out of the hideout) due to his long recovery time and very low stats, and substituted by slave soldier #13, who somehow has worse starting stats

Seriously though, slave soldiers should be treated as little better than attack dogs until you get them some decent armors and weapons, and even then you should never get attached, unless they happen to be really experienced and/or have close to cap voodoo strenght. Using them as literal meat shields for gals is totally fine.

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6724 on: February 07, 2019, 05:21:11 pm »
How to efficiently train peasants so they can take on the reticulans in retuculan breeding dungeon?

niculinux

« Reply #6725 on: February 08, 2019, 08:38:17 pm »
In sept 2018 we have a new modportal:

https://openxcom.mod.io

any chanches to see it as the link in the first post instead of mediafire? Actually the portal one isn't updated: still refers to .J10 version :'(

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #6726 on: February 08, 2019, 09:36:08 pm »
It was down when I was trying to upload. Later I forgot.

Offline wolfreal

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6727 on: February 09, 2019, 06:25:13 am »
Quick question:

Does wands are intended not to train Psi Skill?

I tried with wand of pain, airlessness and fire, and neither train psi skill. 

EDIT: I answered myself, it is going to improve skill only if you have psi skill > 0.

But.... why bugeye can train skill from zero with their built in attack? I guess that is intended.

OTH. Does terror and possession of the bugeye really does something? I have a bugeye right now with 25 skill and 72 vodoo power, and I can not see his/her terror or possession attack doing nothing. I have tried with megapool, bandits, sky ninjas, and some others. Even I used debug, tried with four bugeye, skill between 10 and 25, Vpower between 65 and 72, all four terrorizing the same unit, not more than 12-15 cells of distance, and that enemy does not go down to less than 90 morale. (Tried several times).

Maybe I´m bad on my head. Maybe the inbuilt attack should not be really powerful... I have not reviewed the rule-set.

Any light on the issue will be welcome.

EDIT2

Other question. Why pop up for ufos landing is forced to false?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 04:36:05 am by ajnunezr »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #6728 on: February 10, 2019, 05:26:22 pm »

Other question. Why pop up for ufos landing is forced to false?

Because I think it ruins the game.
Regarding the rest, I don't see any game's misbehaviour on my side.

Offline Stoddard

• Colonel
  • in a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • Linux builds & stuff
« Reply #6729 on: February 10, 2019, 06:04:35 pm »
I always wanted to ask - is there some arcane reason to why the ridiculans' craft and the supply ship have 'CENSORED' as their representation on the intercept screens? Or is ot just because you didn't get to drawing them?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 10:53:30 pm by Stoddard »

Offline Zharkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6730 on: February 10, 2019, 07:42:43 pm »
I always wanted to ask - is there some arcane reason to why the riduclans' craft and the supply ship have 'CENSORED' as their representation on the intercept screens? Or is ot just because you didn't get to drawing them?

The Reticulans' crafts are often covered in indecent markings!

Offline Roxis231

• Colonel
  • Catching the feral kitten hiding in my rubish bin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6731 on: February 10, 2019, 07:52:14 pm »
The Reticulans' crafts are often covered in indecent markings!

That sounds like an aceptiable head cannon.

Offline wolfreal

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6732 on: February 10, 2019, 08:40:18 pm »
Because I think it ruins the game.
Regarding the rest, I don't see any game's misbehaviour on my side.

Thanks!.

I modded to force yes for my personal use. But it is ok.

On the other issues, yes, there is not misbehavior, I think now that psi is correctly balanced. I upped the skill to 60 and now is a different history. I think the balance is correct, after experimenting a little more.

Offline LytaRyta

• Colonel
  • Lisbeth ;p My Engrish is easy bad, Csaba is dead!
    • View Profile
    • svetmightandmagic.cz
Re: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - J11 - 27 Jan - Slaves, or Soldiers?
« Reply #6733 on: February 10, 2019, 08:40:56 pm »
ehh, why i just CANT find any PROPER, FINE! job´, /position.. :/( ;/( ;( :((

( ..& "settle in life, at finally.. )

Stop spamming. Consider this a formal warning. - Dioxine
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 02:26:48 am by Dioxine »

niculinux

« Reply #6734 on: February 10, 2019, 11:45:22 pm »
I really cannot see why before manufacturing handcannons, boarding guns and blunderbusses we have to research "Guns4us" and then "Bigger Guns", i find the second one unecessary, pheraphs it has a meaning? If not, hiw about to take it out?