aliens

Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3609142 times)

Offline Dakkdakk

• Colonel
  • Dirty, dangerous, and kinda sexy
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - J11 - 27 Jan - Slaves, or Soldiers?
« Reply #6645 on: January 29, 2019, 12:58:56 pm »
Yea, remember how projects take up workshop space. The drill one takes about 30 I think, which is more than half the regular workshop space.

First post on the forums btw. Glad to join you guys, piratez is easily the most amazing xcom mod I've ever played, and I've been playing since the time we started with the bonaventura.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6646 on: January 30, 2019, 03:34:26 am »
Okay, you can't bring your tanks to underground bases anymore.  But can the enemy still bring their hovertanks and sectopods?

Two potential answers depending on if enemy deployments respect environmental settings. I surmise they ignore them, so yeah baddies still get there HWPs, you dont.

If they do respect envrio conditions, nerf for everyone.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #6647 on: January 30, 2019, 11:14:20 am »
The answer is they enter through main door, not ventilation shafts, so they can bring any tanks they want.

Offline Zharkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6648 on: January 30, 2019, 01:15:28 pm »
The answer is they enter through main door, not ventilation shafts, so they can bring any tanks they want.

So, tanks can still be used for base defense?

Offline Zharkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6649 on: January 30, 2019, 10:22:35 pm »
Wow, Megapol has some better weapons, now.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #6650 on: February 01, 2019, 11:22:34 am »
So, tanks can still be used for base defense?

Of course.

Offline Abyss

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6651 on: February 01, 2019, 12:53:04 pm »
I have to admit this version J11 is 20-30% more challenging than J9. Tech tree changes make it more and more interesting from version to version.
But subjectively there's still not enough massacre for the Ironman/Hardest, or just I got lucky not to deal with the Stargods in the first year).
Would you consider shifting the difficulty from (Easiest->Hardest) to the (Slightly Harder Than Easy -> Pain in the Ass) both for +Armor, +Quantity of the enemies, -Items sell cost?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 12:56:45 pm by Abyss »

Offline Dakkdakk

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6652 on: February 01, 2019, 06:05:51 pm »
I like the idea of diverging research paths, and yea the game does seem slightly harder for whatever reason, but its still completely manageable. The fact I'm using more slave soldiers and less gals probably has something to do with it, though. I hope this run I get more chances to get my hands on power armor parts. I stopped my last run on J9 just after getting myself superhero armor, and all power armor parts I got were from marsec ops in guild pogroms. Can't wait to have squads of slave soldiers using old guns with eletro-pulse bullets.

Also yea, megapol got some cool stuff now. Now I'll be attacking them way more often. Before this they were just tanky furries with regular weapons.

Offline sanyaskillpro

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6653 on: February 01, 2019, 07:01:02 pm »
I like how on hardest even the easier missions give a challenge just due to a sheer number of enemies, but for me the hardest missions\ships are too unforgiving because of the overtuned numbers and stats of their garrisons.

I already suggested it, but i think the difficulty is better balanced by changing the actual missions available to the player. I get watchtower mission in april of year 2, 4th difficulty, why? D level bounty hunts, rodeos. Remove them completely from the pool in like 6 months max. Basically once you hit the tech level to make the mission 99% safe then remove it from the pool. Like warrior armor+gun emporium removes ratmen rodeo. C badge + one of the tier 2 BH awards removes D level missions. And the same for ships, basically. Once you raid a few excavators maybe the factions should realise that you have a decent radar coverage and it's not not safe to use the rubbish vessels. Like if you have downed X excavators or did Y landed assaults then this ship is removed from the pool. Scouts should switch from cutters and runabouts to faster ships then if they keep being downed they should abandon designated scouts eventually and just scout with battleships.

This way the the overall game difficulty would be more like a campaign progression speed, instead of having more enemy mooks with super stats. I know it aldeady affects some aspects of campaign progression, but i would make it more radical.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #6654 on: February 01, 2019, 07:14:26 pm »
Can't you just ignore these missions? Instead of actively preventing people from doing them even if them want to?

Offline Abyss

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6655 on: February 01, 2019, 08:17:54 pm »
I get watchtower mission in april of year 2, 4th difficulty, why? D level bounty hunts, rodeos. Remove them completely from the pool in like 6 months max.

I enjoy killing Ratmen with Hi-end weapons :) Especially Super-SG and XG-Chainguns! 
Couple of times used Chinese Dragons, my bad.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 08:19:38 pm by Abyss »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6656 on: February 01, 2019, 08:24:13 pm »
Yeah, I meant people like this. ;D

Offline Dakkdakk

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6657 on: February 01, 2019, 09:16:01 pm »
I personally never choose any difficulty above blackbeardDavy Jones because the number of mooks makes some missions really annoying. Good luck succesfuly capturing a merc supply ship in jack sparrow.

Also, keeping easy old missions in the game way past the point they aren't hard is actualy pretty useful. Sometimes you just need that bit of common tech you didn't get from an old enemy, and such missions provide you with plenty of common people to kidnap. Progression doesn't necessarily require all the old things to disappear forever, just the ones that don't make sense. For example, it doesnt make sense for the academy to try to raid your base full of heavy armor wearing gals carrying flak cannons with a ship full of nurses and researchers carrying varmint rifles.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 05:23:52 pm by Dakkdakk »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6658 on: February 01, 2019, 11:26:23 pm »
Another thing is that I like maintaining many squads (at least one per base), and not all of them will be stellar. So I use such missions to give badly equipped rookies some action.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #6659 on: February 02, 2019, 03:27:22 am »
I already suggested it, but i think the difficulty is better balanced by changing the actual missions available to the player. I get watchtower mission in april of year 2, 4th difficulty, why? D level bounty hunts, rodeos. Remove them completely from the pool in like 6 months max. Basically once you hit the tech level to make the mission 99% safe then remove it from the pool. Like warrior armor+gun emporium removes ratmen rodeo. C badge + one of the tier 2 BH awards removes D level missions. And the same for ships, basically. Once you raid a few excavators maybe the factions should realise that you have a decent radar coverage and it's not not safe to use the rubbish vessels. Like if you have downed X excavators or did Y landed assaults then this ship is removed from the pool. Scouts should switch from cutters and runabouts to faster ships then if they keep being downed they should abandon designated scouts eventually and just scout with battleships.

This way the the overall game difficulty would be more like a campaign progression speed, instead of having more enemy mooks with super stats. I know it aldeady affects some aspects of campaign progression, but i would make it more radical.

You say it all like it was:
a) actually needed (the game was not created to entertain people, but to simulate a mysterious world).
b) easy to implement (what you propose is an insane level of manual-adjustment that would not only require huge workload, but also will be prone to endless bugs).
c) not implemented already (easy missions do get phased out, but slowly and mostly with clock, and almost never completely).
d) not already implemented with actually important missions which do depend heavily on diff level and tech progress.

I don't want people gaming the tech tree too much to avoid researching stuff just to keep some missions longer. That'd be madness and a huge blow to immersion.

Can't you just ignore these missions?

...Actually this is the most baffling part. Is someone pointing a gun to your head? Just ignore missions which you consider beneath your dignity.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 03:30:12 am by Dioxine »