Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3688229 times)

Offline Abyss

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99J8 - 19 Oct - Mixed Bag
« Reply #6360 on: November 11, 2018, 08:00:29 am »
You can change the resolution/scaling so that less tiles are visible at once.
You can turn off display filters, if you're using any.

In 0.99J7 I found quite a lot of lags in the Mysterious tower missions. No lags were observed in 0.99J5.
Does not depend on a terrain.
No filters, no scaling, the resolution is native.
Other types of missions generate no lags at all.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 08:02:14 am by Abyss »

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6361 on: November 11, 2018, 08:47:44 am »
mystery tower is by far the lagiest map, since it uses all possible positive Z levels. The original game maxed at 3 z levels, the towers i think 15. Space maps have more(due to + and - levels) but they dont have floor terrain to render. And not much other terrain either. Uniform voids are easy on the engine.

The taller the map the more voxels are rendered and tracked at once. And truth be told the engine is not especially well optimized for its maximum limits, and we are compensating for these inefficient processes with modern hardware power.

Offline Abyss

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6362 on: November 11, 2018, 05:35:24 pm »
and we are compensating for these inefficient processes with modern hardware power.

This is insane, btw, considering the DOS game intended to be executed with x286.

Offline Foxhound634

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6363 on: November 11, 2018, 05:49:41 pm »
I've come across several items that can be worn, and they each have a certain 'gear slot' they belong to, but i cant figure out where those slots would be. Am i missing some tech to enable those slots or..?

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6364 on: November 11, 2018, 05:50:30 pm »
This is insane, btw, considering the DOS game intended to be executed with x286.

OpenXcom with vanilla maps, vanilla view distances, etc. also runs on anything... don't compare what cannot be compared.

Offline JustTheDude/CABSHEP

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6365 on: November 11, 2018, 05:57:09 pm »
I've come across several items that can be worn, and they each have a certain 'gear slot' they belong to, but i cant figure out where those slots would be. Am i missing some tech to enable those slots or..?

I guess you mean shawls and such. Just put it in inventory and it will work.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #6366 on: November 11, 2018, 06:02:31 pm »
noticed that the game lagged somewhat a lot, considering this is a dosbox game.

This is not a dosbox game. It's a C+ game. Don't let that dumb dos4gw screen confuse you. It's a fake.

Offline Nychrome

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6367 on: November 13, 2018, 06:12:02 am »
Yo, just made an account. Did a windows Defender scan of my computer earlier today and it says there was a 'Trojan:Script\Foretype.A!ml' at

File-c/Users/name/desktop/Dioxine_xpiratez/user/mods/Piratez/Resources/Corpses/Thumbs.db

It was the only thing the program picked up. Is the downloader or something compromised? I did a quick check through the forums to see if anyone else brought it up, no one did, not sure if that means I was the first to notice it or this is paranoia

Good mod otherwise!

Offline Petethegoat

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6368 on: November 13, 2018, 06:24:02 am »
Yo, just made an account. Did a windows Defender scan of my computer earlier today and it says there was a 'Trojan:Script\Foretype.A!ml' at

File-c/Users/name/desktop/Dioxine_xpiratez/user/mods/Piratez/Resources/Corpses/Thumbs.db
Thumbs.db is generated by windows (to display thumbnail images in windows explorer), so it's probably not anything malicious.

Does Dioxine have a patreon or anything similar? I try to give a couple bucks to a few creators each month, and I just remembered that Xpiratez exists, so I'd love to contribute if possible.

Offline Abyss

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6369 on: November 13, 2018, 09:45:56 am »
Does Dioxine have a patreon or anything similar?
Please check the donation link: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4604.0.html

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6370 on: November 13, 2018, 11:42:06 am »

It was the only thing the program picked up. Is the downloader or something compromised? I did a quick check through the forums to see if anyone else brought it up, no one did, not sure if that means I was the first to notice it or this is paranoia

Good mod otherwise!

Hi and welcome to the forum,

there is no such file in the PirateZ download package.

The file was most likely automatically created by Windows when you were looking at the folder's content in windows explorer.

The 'Trojan:Script\Foretype.A!ml' is a known trojan and therefore the likelihood of a false positive is (in my opinion) quite small... so you probably have a real infection... but the file was infected after you have downloaded piratez, because nobody else seems to have this issue.

Regards,
M.

Offline cc

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6371 on: November 13, 2018, 06:21:13 pm »
The 'Trojan:Script\Foretype.A!ml' is a known trojan and therefore the likelihood of a false positive is (in my opinion) quite small... so you probably have a real infection... but the file was infected after you have downloaded piratez, because nobody else seems to have this issue.
Windows Defender is very bad in indicating heuristic results (as in, it doesn't do it at all), so not necessarily. I'd upload the file to VirusTotal.com first before entering panic mode - takes all of five minutes and if he's infected, nothing new will be stolen in that time.

Offline Abyss

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6372 on: November 14, 2018, 01:30:38 pm »
Some postcard to TS.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 01:42:02 pm by Abyss »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6373 on: November 14, 2018, 02:58:56 pm »
Windows Defender is very bad in indicating heuristic results (as in, it doesn't do it at all), so not necessarily. I'd upload the file to VirusTotal.com first before entering panic mode - takes all of five minutes and if he's infected, nothing new will be stolen in that time.

My bad, the name of the trojan looked specific enough I thought it's a real name.
But yeah, this is just a generic name... so quite likely a false positive.

Offline LytaRyta

• Colonel
  • Lisbeth ;p My Engrish is easy bad, Csaba is dead!
    • View Profile
    • svetmightandmagic.cz