Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3677961 times)

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99D.1 - 31 Oct - Learning not to Drown
« Reply #3480 on: November 06, 2016, 05:04:23 pm »
@Narvi: The Runt-Outfit is "Armor" that has to be manufactured. It's kind of useful to make one Hand someone to carry extra ammo clips and grenades. Yes, the wording is a bit confusing = hits the theme of the mod.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #3481 on: November 06, 2016, 05:15:54 pm »
It's a leftover, I'll fix the wording.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3482 on: November 06, 2016, 05:39:24 pm »
My feedback to this masterpiece of a mod (in comparision to the vanilla X-Com and using Superhuman difficulty):
Nicely balanced early game around the introduced 6-man Airbus. The starting missions offer opportunities to get some early weaponry and prisoners to get your research going. Church-Raid and Watchtower are the best examples.

In terms of improvable early mission:
Academy Base: Academy drones are kind of tough to deal with since you can't rely on a musket to break through the armor. I suggest to add a new kind of "Beginner Drone" with like +15HP and/or half the armor.

Ratman Rodeo: With the introduction of the damage buff to the musket-ammo I suggest to look into this mission for the early game. With no decent armor those stray bullets can now one-shot your gals more frequently.

The transition to midgame is kind of hard to discribe. Sometimes you get the boenuventura in time to boost your power to 18 slots or have to work with the 8man truck for several months. (Thanks for the 10man "Purple Turtle" craft tho ;)  )

To give you some kind of feedback from my very own  playthrough:
The traders guild littered my starting location (russia) with 5 hideouts and causing 5 protect-money-payer to jump the boat before I could tech up and offer a legit answer to power-armor bodyguards.

The time I started to clean russia and asia I had 6 hideouts to destroy. The most overpowered solution to this was the flechette-gun.
I have several points to say about this weapon:
1. You can use the flechette-gun right after research but can't use the flechette-multicannon without interogate an academy provost.
If the flechette-gun would get the same restriction like the multi-cannon, I would accept this restriction since this shotgun is your weapon to kill everything in the game and drastically drops the difficulty. - But you could just stop using the gun? - If I can get access to a tool I will use it regardless. In the end it's a game (and games are fun?)
2. While the damage 32x4 sounds inferior to most of the other shotguns manufacturable, the fact that this shotgun ignores half armor AND reduces the armor of the target hit, I realy wonder why this shotgun got both traits.
I suggest to have only the armor-ignoration or the armor-shred. Maybe even drop the damage to 29x4 so the max damage can't reach 60+ per bullet shot.
3. This shotgun might offer only snapshot but 200% acc for a shotgun is quite the aim. (and even adds kneeling bonus). I can repeatly snipe enemies with a shotgun past 20 tiles of range. In my opinion too good for the weapon category.
4. The flechette-gun can shot up to 4 times per turn. Considering point 3 above the mix of high acc and fast firing makes every other weapon kind of obsolete. Nerfing the TU cost to +26% would allow up to 3 shots while leaving the gun as a decent assault- and breach-gun.
5. I'm kind of puzzled why the flechette-gun is able to "melt" its target and destroy the corpse. The damage-type is listed as "piercing" and thus shouldn't vaporize the target like a high-power laser or chem/plasma weaponry. If this is intended, I roll with it as it is the trade-off for been OP.

So much for the flechette-gun complaining, the late-game is where the game let's you toy with your high-tech guns, armor and voodoo stuff. I got the most fun in this part of the game. Can't wait to revisit some mercs and melt thier muton-like faces with something else than the flechette-gun and baby nukes.

Thanks for reading my wall of text.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3483 on: November 06, 2016, 06:04:04 pm »
Attached my basic loadout to dominate the mid-late game.
Guardian-Armor until I can replace with something better. Flechette-gun (OP), Zapper for milk-runs. Grenades (smoke/chem/hellerium) are barely used. The lasgun in the backpack isn't used either since the flechette gun is OP.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3484 on: November 07, 2016, 10:58:38 pm »
Just picked up X-Pratez for the first time.
Dioxine - you're brilliant, the theme and everything, its almost like a completely different game. Reminds me very much of Firefly/Serenity.

Really love those temple of sirius missions, reminds me of scientology or that heaven's gate thing where all those people killed themselves in real life. Very satisfying to beat those guys to a pulp.

Im only like 2 months into the game, and I have to wonder since I haven't broken $1 million yet, when or if ill ever get a craft that can actually shoot down other crafts (airbus has no guns even though ive got a laser thing in inventory). Laboratory will cost 75 million so thats not happening for a long time.

I can keep going after ratmen rodeos and watchtowers to my heart's content but none of the other craft seem to ever land near me except once during the first month. My base is located in the turkey region. But I do have 6 brainers though and they're churning through research about every 2 days.

Also noticed that my hands will sometimes lose Morale like crazy for no reason at all, like im even killing guys and it doesnt bump the morale one bit, and I havent lost anybody at all. Might be a spoiler to say why?

Im guessing the ratmen are using psi-weapon and its just not displaying or notifying about it at all.

Its also happening on the watchtower maps too, like my hands are just sitting around the fire roasting marshmellows, watching the robot combust, and people start going "insane" for no reason and then I notice everybody's morale has been hit.

also im gonna say... "f-ck the white shambler", just screw that, I drag the thing back to my base after it puts two of my ladies in the hospital, and my brainers just Dissect the thing and tell me "yeah its a beast, so what" ... and now I cant even sell it (but whatever, thats me having a fun laughing rant not an upset one)

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3485 on: November 07, 2016, 11:14:20 pm »
Welcome to the new mehanix called "Combat Stress"
Every turn, your hands lose moral based on thier bravery stat. Moral is going down if the current moral > bravery.
If your hand has 50 bravery, she will lose moral until she drops below 50 moral, which might cause her to freak out.

Armor can have +x stress as well, causing the moral to decline as well.
If a gal has like 70 bravery she will never panic/berserk unless something bad happens. (voodoo/dying teammates).

I recommend to just sack hands with bravery <50 for the early game. Once you can *afford* to have hands sitting 'nude' on the battlefield and let them panic on demand, the bravery will quickly sky-rocket up to 90! (+10 bravery per mission if lucky).

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #3486 on: November 08, 2016, 12:35:20 am »
Not everything is at it seems. Morale, Stun and Energy are no longer inert like in the vanilla. About the Morale you know already (everything is written down, btw), but also wounds will incur a constant Stun & Energy drain.

As for the shambler... you will find out quite soon (although making armor out of its fur is not implemented yet!). A lot of stuff is hidden somewhere in the ever-growing research tree :)

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3487 on: November 08, 2016, 02:03:26 am »
Unless things have changed, the laboratory is actually not something we can build, it's too advanced and complicated.  There are other ways to employ more brainers though, but they're all expensive.  You'll probably rely heavily on bootlegging for your finances.

Incidentally, any chance of being raided early on by poorly armed and led pig-cops from Duke Nukem?  Naturally because you're not paying the tax on alcohol.

Edit

On the last version, 0.99C, once I got the workshop the runt outfit was no longer limited, couldn't even make them anymore in that base.  Didn't get far beyond that, so I don't know if the base itself needed a workshop or if you just needed one to get the unlimited runt outfits, but it did have that effect.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 02:07:22 am by khade »

Offline Foxhound634

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3488 on: November 08, 2016, 02:56:50 am »
Incidentally, any chance of being raided early on by poorly armed and led pig-cops from Duke Nukem?  Naturally because you're not paying the tax on alcohol.

Oh gawd i would love that! The existing cameos from other video games are already pretty cool (not gonna spoil anything), and i can definitely see these being a badass contribution to that list :)

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3489 on: November 08, 2016, 04:39:53 am »
I'm pretty sure you mean dumbass, but whatever.   ;D

Offline Foxhound634

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3490 on: November 08, 2016, 05:24:16 am »
I'm pretty sure you mean dumbass, but whatever.   ;D

Uh no, that wasn't sarcasm...

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3491 on: November 08, 2016, 05:37:27 am »
Unless things have changed, the laboratory is actually not something we can build, it's too advanced and complicated.  There are other ways to employ more brainers though, but they're all expensive.  You'll probably rely heavily on bootlegging for your finances.

On the last version, 0.99C, once I got the workshop the runt outfit was no longer limited, couldn't even make them anymore in that base.  Didn't get far beyond that, so I don't know if the base itself needed a workshop or if you just needed one to get the unlimited runt outfits, but it did have that effect.

how exactly do you build a Workshop anyway?
ive got an extractor and still but it wont even let me build new versions of those, and I have a bunch of things I wanna build that take a workshop.

Also im noticing a surprising number of items that are listed in the bootypedia as {Buy} but they're not available for purchase. Several guns. The only item listed as {Buy} that got added was the Hunting Bow.

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3492 on: November 08, 2016, 05:44:12 am »
Uh no, that wasn't sarcasm...

Oh, I know, sorry, couldn't resist.  It would be really funny, but I'm not sure how to actually fit the guys into the lore, everything else actually has a place.

Uh, workshop requires a bit of research and sometimes you have to find the supplier before you can actually buy an item, again more research. My headcanon is that items marked {Buy} are more rumors until you actually find the right streetcorner or shop or alleyway, give the right pass-phrase, and offer the correct offerings(grog).
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 05:48:42 am by khade »

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3493 on: November 08, 2016, 05:47:47 pm »
I'm always welcome to new goons to swap the deck with.

To get more purchase-option in the black market you need to research "Contact: xxx" research topics.
For example the research topic "Contacts: Merchants" will alloy you to buy some more basic guns like "Rusty Niners" or "Domestic Shotgun" to give an alternative to muskets and flintlocks.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99E - 8 Nov - Dawn of the Living Dead
« Reply #3494 on: November 08, 2016, 08:09:29 pm »
New version released. See the change log for details. Have fun.