Author Topic: Introduce yourself  (Read 184117 times)

Offline stepbystep

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce yourself
« Reply #180 on: November 01, 2016, 01:57:00 pm »
Hi everyone!
I'm new to the forum but not to the xcom series.
I recently discovered openxcom and I'm enjoying both the nightly and the xpiratez convesion. Let me show my appreciation for everyone involved by telling you have  done an outstanding job and that I love you all for the hours of fun it is providing!  ;D

A quick question:

Where would be the most appropriate forum section to go search / ask for tips on making a youtube serie?

Cheers!  :)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 01, 2016, 02:38:51 pm »
Hi and welcome!

There is a Playthroughs section, try there: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/board,15.0.html

Also, I have a YouTube LP myself, I'll gladly answer your inquires :)

Offline Lion66six

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 01, 2016, 05:26:44 pm »
Didn't previously see this thread, what an excellent idea. So here goes.

Hey Everyone.

Some people already may know me, I typically lurk in the Playthrough section of the forum. I'm a 32 year old bloke from England called Richard. Christ each time I see the words 32, I feel old. Oh well.

I started playing UFO when I was around 13 or 14. I never really understood why my men wouldn't return fire at aliens,here is a hint they would just run at the nearest alien firing until out of TUs and then never actually find cover or do anything tactical. Deaths were plenty.

Then I started playing other games as a teen, Doom, Quake, Unreal Tournament, UT2004. Went to Uni, failed Uni. Spent too much time playing games and not enough programming. Got a job, etc. Found a women, got a house together and next year we will be married. Life is good. Got a nice job, 2 cars, 2 cats. Bonus points for anyone who knows the name of my two cats (Sometimes they get vocal while I play video games, or they try and sit between me and the keyboard for cuddles!)

Went retro around 2 years back, played the original UFO from steam. Found some random mods to add stuff to the original, a few new UFOs etc. And then found OpenXcom and my world was blown! Love the mods, love the stability and the retro challenge. Currently part way through a lets play for the Hardmode Expansion (See the Playthrough section to find that).

All good, and thats me!

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 24, 2017, 04:25:25 pm »
Greetings everyone! After thinking about it for a long time, I decided to register to ask my questions about awesome mods like Piratez and X-Com Files and be able to see their progress more directly.

Thank you everyone for your hard work!

Offline kvsari

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 28, 2017, 03:49:45 am »
Hi Everyone,

I love the XCOM games and used to run it within DOSBox. I really like the hardboiled unforgiving gameplay and long strategic scope of this classic game. You can spend hours on a single mission trying to guess where the enemy is going to pop out and making sure all your guys are covering one another. Impatience is punished so harshly. It's like an evolution of chess.

Then I found openxcom and the modding scene. The mods available look awesome and are the reason I've joined. I'm looking forward to giving them a try.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #185 on: June 28, 2017, 06:40:02 pm »
Hello, my dear folks of the old worlds.....

So, IseijinBoueiSenben97,  Do you make a new forum account every year or something? :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #186 on: June 28, 2017, 09:15:40 pm »
So, IseijinBoueiSenben97,  Do you make a new forum account every year or something? :)

Of course he is. How could he leave us forever? :)

Offline Yataka Shimaoka

• Colonel
  • I'm the trouble maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 16, 2017, 11:24:08 am »
Hello! I am John Vic from the Philippines,
15 yrs old, only started playing xcom UFO defence in coincidence and thanks to your hardwork,everyone in the oxc team, I can now enjoy the game from the new engine plus it is also moddable. I would like to see what will happen to these remake in years!

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #188 on: July 16, 2017, 11:40:29 am »
Welcome to our forum!

Offline Captain_Raspberry

• Squaddie
  • Hellerium-deprived, soda-drinking pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 30, 2017, 05:02:37 am »
Didn't notice this thread when I registered on the forums. May as well say hello.

I am Sergio, a 32 year old rookie coder and gamer. I used to be more of a gamer in the past, but the flame is still alight in me.

Curiously enough, my first contact with games like X-COM was actually not X-COM, but the UFO: After-whatever series, followed by UFO: Extraterrestrials. I liked those games a lot, then a friend told me that, if I liked those, I would love X-COM, and he gifted me the entire X-COM Classics Collection on Steam. And boy, did I love them. I also have the first Firaxis X-COM, and I would like to get the second sometime in the future, when my computer stops being a freaking toaster. The Julian Gollop games have a special something in them when compared to the AAA feeling of the Firaxis continuity, but the Firaxis games are pretty good in my opinion, too.

I am here mostly for the X-Piratez mod. It's a huge campaign of attrition that I'm not really used to, even taking X-COM Long War into account, but it's so cool and has so much stuff!

Offline NKF

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 06, 2017, 09:48:11 am »
Hey ho. I'm just a strange person with initials for a web handle. Just passing through to make a random comment. Professional lurker otherwise.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 08:42:37 am by NKF »

Offline Droggarth

• Captain
  • Xenophilic Mutant Commando
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 06, 2017, 01:47:00 pm »
Heh, more of a lurker myself but a lurker who occasionally makes a few amount of posts and can mod to a some degree. Had to fiddle around a few days back to polish some of my personal mini modpack stuff along with making my last recent changes to the default game as an add-on mod form so it saves me the trouble when there's a update in the future.

I like setting up a high security base and radar or Hyperwave Decoder outposts in the game first and all over the globe, after that's done I focus on getting 2 firestorms in each outpost both armed to the teeth with, in case too many traffic impending battles are about to happen and once the hostiles are down I use something fast like a faster avenger or me nicknamed alien one-entity crewed small scout a Fhyr, carrying a Gazer pilot-commando with heavy weaponry and a few explosive stuff. A quick shock and awe response mission basically. If I need more crew I use an altered Lightning since this is the only X-Com vessel that mimics the design of other alien spacecrafts and can drop more troops onto the battlescape, I never use tanks since they are borderline garbage (no offense meant) when compared to my vastly superior organic units that can easily pace the map in a few short turns and carry a lot of weight.

I'm here for all the mods on this site usually, the game feels so much better than original version of the game(s). In fact I love that finally I get to have an alien unit too along with a fitting ship that I can put into use at my leisure thanks to people here and with OpenXcom making also modding a friendly area to be. It's like old-school nexus of mods for a game that came out a long while back! Thank you all who were involved!

As for the new Firaxis X-Com games, from my perspectives, experiences, opinions and reasons I enjoy the original games so much more than the new Firaxis ones. For me it wasn't just the generic-esque high level graphics but gameplay itself, namely the removal of TU systems that are replaced with two or three moves only. Just irked me to no end as I'm used to taking small steps and/or look around and make my own entry if necessary with either a weapon fire or an explosive to manually barge in where I wanna barge in. Took this screenshot when 1.0 version of OpenXcom had come finally out and after I modded and/or altered a few things:
Spoiler:

And so this is what I managed to do in that terror mission years back now, and I even counted the bodies in that smoked aftermath: 4 Floaters and 10 Civilians, just went *BOOOM* with one slightly modified blaster bomb and its launcher. IIRC, I was testing if I could wreck entire buildings with upward and downward explosion force added into the effect and yikes, it sure did and then some! I remember seeing the floaters flying about and shot the bomb in different areas where it could do the most damage, took down the entire building as each level of the building was a mess of smoke and ash and as for the building.. what building? ;D And yeah I used psi-amp before firing at them, that's how I located them and that's why I drained my main character's psi abilities, had enough TUs left to fire the mighty bomb, think I set its TU requirement to something small also so I could fire just in case I couldn't, it was a test after all and I needed certain results.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 02:48:19 pm by Droggarth »

Offline The Martian

• Commander
  • "It implores you to listen to its arguments..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 19, 2017, 07:05:35 pm »
Spoiler:
As you enter the chamber you see the
alien brain - the object of your quest.
Before you can fire it communicates to you
via a screen at its base. It implores you
to listen to its arguments for survival
before you make the decision to pull the
trigger...
Greetings.

I'm a rather large orb shaped alien (Well, "alien" at least from your perspective) brain that spends most of its time chilling in the Cydonia region of Mars.

Recently I learned of OpenXcom and the excellent modding community that is associated with the project.

So far I've already completed a quick run through of X-COM: UFO Defense and I'm pleased to say that the gameplay has aged quiet well. I'm actually having more fun replaying the old X-Com games with OpenXcom then I did with the modern versions.

I Look forward to interacting with you all on this forum and -

Spoiler:
The alien brain is interrupted by a burst of hot plasma, and the
entire alien force is defeated.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 12, 2017, 11:47:12 am »
<snip>

Hello Hyper2Snyper,

and welcome to OpenXcom!
We are extremely happy to see the young generation having interest in this classic gem.
If you have any questions about android version, modding, or anything else... don't hesitate to ask here, or on the Discord channel.

M.

Offline Yataka Shimaoka

• Colonel
  • I'm the trouble maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 12, 2017, 03:13:32 pm »
Yay! A new retro teen gamer! High five from another teem!