aliens

Author Topic: Introduce yourself  (Read 184127 times)

Offline android

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce yourself
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2013, 05:53:56 pm »
Android H-0.5 from Kepler 22-B. Not as cosy as I imagined, even for the non-existant needs of artificial life!

Been re-trying some classics and I've got hooked on this now that most bugs are gone. Mabye this time I'll manage to complete my game the proper way. It was nice to blame multiple saves on bugs, but I want to try complete the game without game save reverts, if guys die, they die. At least theres no green writing to which I smash my amiga and break it's hard drive, corrupting all things UFO :(

..anyway just thought I'd say keep up the good work! May end up helping with coding once I've refreshed

Offline kharille

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2013, 06:41:45 pm »
Its easy to preserve your best men.  Use lots of rookies.

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2013, 07:24:40 am »
Reminds me of the Double Fine play-through. They were equipping rookies with only a stun rod and a grenade. They're given a weapon if they survive a few missions, or pick up a weapon from a dead Operative.

Offline Viaro

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2013, 08:58:08 pm »
Hey all,

I'm Joshua, 18 years old, and I've just started playing Xcom and I'm really enjoying it. In my first five missions, my whole squad of 8 died twice. It was rough, but really fun. Not saving during battles makes it a LOT more fun. It makes the story of the game much more interesting. The humans totally failed a few times, but they are learning that they need to equip their soldiers better!

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2013, 09:59:52 pm »
Hey all,

I'm Joshua, 18 years old, and I've just started playing Xcom and I'm really enjoying it. In my first five missions, my whole squad of 8 died twice. It was rough, but really fun. Not saving during battles makes it a LOT more fun. It makes the story of the game much more interesting. The humans totally failed a few times, but they are learning that they need to equip their soldiers better!

Welcome to OXC

It can be brutal, but you will learn some valuable life lessons, I wouldn't know what they are but i am pretty sure they are in there somewhere :)

Offline Viaro

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2013, 10:45:16 pm »
There's ALWAYS some life lesson to be learnt. Life is awesome like that :)

Anyway, I enjoy the challenge very much. Though it was really frustrating that my first Sergeant died on the second mission, and all of my hopes in my ultimate captain were shattered. But that's how it goes with alien invasions. Titles and ranks mean nothing in a battle zone. I have two soldiers who have survived four missions each, now, and it's really exciting. Go go go! Don't you dare let yourselves get hit! You're holding this squad up! ^_^

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2013, 12:09:14 am »
Sup Viaro. Enjoy the game and while you're playing, if you have any suggestion to improve OXC, post them up.

Offline Viaro

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2013, 01:47:39 am »
Will do.

Offline Juju Dredd

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • My gamer website (french)
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2013, 01:37:31 am »
Hello all!

I work in software development.
I'd like to participate to OpenXcom mainly because such a great game deserve a descent port. It's too bad they haven't done the same as 3D Realms have done with Duke Nukem 3D.
I am not very familiar with C++ because I haven't used it from a long time, I worked only in plain C.
I use for my job Tortoise SVN, this is why I try to use Git with Tortoise Git, but I must confess I had difficulties in the beginning. Hope this won't prevent me from efficiently participating to the project!

I discovered UFO very late, I remember Windows XP was already there from a long time (even though I was using Windows 98). Has I have always considered graphics quality as not very important, I never care UFO's graphics were outdated. Anyway I prefer cool graphics with low resolution over ugly high res ones. And UFO graphics are way cool  8)

I never play Iron man mode, but when playing ufo I try not to save a game in combat other than at beginning of first round, before moving anyone. I avoid voluntarily using exploits, but if I see an alien inside the ufo from exterior because of a glitch, then it's not my fault, psionic control, throw your weapon and run to the ufo door...

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2013, 02:26:51 am »
Welcome Juju Dredd, we can always use more software guys around here :)

Offline Danny

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2013, 09:42:50 pm »
I'm Danny and I'm just looking at this hoping it one day might become multiplayer like the now halted TTS... XD

Offline KakiHasTheHybridChild

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Hardcore fan has arrived (NO, even more hardcore than that...)
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2013, 11:07:31 am »
Hello to all, I am glad to be here.
Signing up was quite difficult, I got the name of the project wrong. It seems that it isn't OpenX-COM. Capitals... it seems size does matter. Then I got the OCR check that you humans seem to love so much wrong 4 times. At least I got the Roswell bit right. Not that that means anything...

Firstly no, secondly, I would like to say that openxcom has both saved my sanity and destroyed my dream. It saved me becasue I tried the 2012 XCOM, looked into xenonauts, but still play the original. I finally tried the openxcom version, and I can now say I will need nothing more from this gaming life. The ability to use mouse back and forward buttons, scroll wheel and right click exit have done wonders. Fixing the original problems and gripes about the game has only proven that classics are classics, although in need of refinement. Your team has brought the best game ever back, to a whole new audience.
SOMEONE said "I became a game designer because of X-COM.", and I say "well so did I." Unfortunately, my 3D recreation of the original, as faithful as openxcom is, has now been cancelled outright because ;
1. I should be working on paying jobs.
2. This project lowers my insane cravings for the next X-COM.

I plan to post in other threads about my opinion (as a game developer) of the 2012 XCOM, and that may involve some crazy ranting. I also plan to discuss why it is/would be so hard to make a good remake, although that may be old news.

I am an Aussie living in Japan, and I have a little girl who laughs and points at sectoids, say "there it is". (She mostly laughs when they appear suddenly, moving and then shooting one of 'us'.)

I use Blender, and am now planning to release my X-COM UFO building blocks on blendswap, and I use Unity, but that doesn't make me a programmer,does it?

I hope to have many good exchanges on this forum.

Sean.

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2013, 06:51:11 am »
Hey welcome Kaki. I'm sure you'll like it here. We're a quiet little group, far from normal civilization. You're welcome to join us in any conversation we have and since you have game making experience you'll be greatly appreciated if you take the time to help finish the project.

Have you heard of Xenonauts? It's supposed to be a spiritual remake (or whatever you call it) to our beloved X-COM, meaning it'll be as close to X-COM UD gameplay as possible, with new ideas in the mix as well. I'd like to know your opinion of it if you've been able to get your hands on it. It's currently on Steam Beta Access or whatever you call it.

Anyways, thanks for join us 8)

Offline Hadan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2013, 10:15:04 pm »
So, after pestering some people about my noob-questions in the modding-forum I think its time I intrudice myself  :D

My name is Christian, 31, living in Vienna, Austria.
I work in Customer Support/IT in a small consulting company.

When Work & social live (yes, geeks can have some too  :o) leave some hours of the day free I read (mostly SciFi & Fantasy), tinker with my (too much) computers and play PC games (last console was a Sega MegaDrive/Genesis).

I first played X-COM sometimes in the 90s when I received a pirated copy from a friend.
All of my friends played it, and with no manual & no internet, we had to figure the game out by trial and error.
Our first missions where "hit one alien, grab loot, fly off". I still remember, I was the first one of my friends to actually complete a mission  8)
I also will always remember my first playthrough which I did in the course of one weekend, I think I slept 6hr between friday and sunday.

Since then I played pretty much every remake of X-Com that surfaced, some only to test them, some to some extent.
I heard about OXC on RockpaperShotgun, boy was I glad I managed to copy a Win95-installer of the game to every new computer in the last 15 years. For most of the time I kept it for sentimental reasons because it stopped working on modern versions of windows.

Let my thank all of you guys who made it possible for old and new Users to play this great game.
I dont know much about programming, but maybe I can contribute a little with feedback and in the modding-section.

best regards
Christian

Offline Doctor_Muerte

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2013, 08:41:57 am »
Hi everyone, im Leo, i was born in Uruguay but im living on Spain since 2003.

My english is a bit rustic :( , so unfortunately i won´t be able to introduce myself as I´d like to, but im gonna try.

On 1997 I had my first computer, i remember the CPU was a Pentium 200 mhz :P , and I player TFTD for the first time. I remember being a 14 years old teenager, playing at midnight and having jump-scares when seeing the message: ALIEN SUB DETECTED, or ALIEN LAUNCH ISLAND ATTACK (with that poor guy screaming in the background). Also, I felt a bit strange having to equip my crew before missions, knowing no one of them would have a single chance of survival. But I didn´t frusrated and when the weeks passed i learned the game´s mechanics until i was able to beat it. Recently i bought the Steam verion of all the classic games.

Tonight I have found this proyect (looking for "something like" X-COM for Android) and I´m very happy to see people interested on creating a clone as similar to the originals as possible, not a re-creation.

Unfortunately I can´t program a single line of code  :-\ so i can´t help on that area, but if spanish translators are needed, I´ll be glad to help. I have been reading this topic and registered an account at https://www.getlocalization.com/, but i don´t wanna touch something and screw it up.

So well, thank you guys for your work, I´ll report any bug that I find.

Best regards.