Author Topic: Introduce yourself  (Read 183174 times)

Offline gamebrain

• Squaddie
  • Hi everyone, I'm Nina from Hamburg :)
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce yourself
« Reply #225 on: August 14, 2020, 08:07:48 pm »
Hi everyone,

I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Nina, I'm 25 and I'm living in Hamburg (Germany). I work as a web designer and in my freetime I love to share my interests with others.

I hope to have some nice conversations exchange within this great network! :)

Offline LuckyClover

• Captain
  • Trying my best :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 14, 2020, 10:40:35 pm »
Hi everyone,

I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Nina, I'm 25 and I'm living in Hamburg (Germany). I work as a web designer and in my freetime I love to share my interests with others.

really nice to meet another Xcom fan  :D :D :D

Offline DosAmiga94

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 26, 2020, 09:47:49 am »
Hey,

My name is Paul and I'm from Munich (Germany). Searching for some new experience in the game and hope for some interesting conversations ;)

8)

Offline gijoe

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 01, 2020, 03:05:45 pm »
Hello to all!

I tryed some time ago x-pirtaez, and the mod is growing very well. I always enjoyed the 90's ufo game series, so glad to be part of the openxocm community! :)

Offline Ran

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 05, 2020, 07:45:04 pm »
Haha wow, I haven't been here for more than 5 years, unbelievable and absolutely amazing you guys are still doing this.

You probably don't remember me, I was an early OXC tester and bug hunter since 2013 while it was barely functional, inventor of the Fusion Torch to cut up the Skyranger and I did some awful sprites for the very first versions of Dioxine's Piratez.

Awesome to see some of that stuff is still in use but it's nothing compared to what you developed in the mean time. Unfortunately I have little time, zero programming skills and my art is abysmal so here's not much I can contribute but I'll try to stick around a bit and see what I can do.
Anyway just wanted to say thanks for all your work, this is my favorite game of all time and now it's better than ever before. ;D

Also damn, it's almost exactly 25 years, a quarter of a century since I got the original game for Christmas. Where did all that time go?

Offline Finnik

• Colonel
  • Finnik#0257
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 07, 2020, 01:09:01 am »
Oh, I think I should have introduced myself to you a long time ago! Hi, my name is Alex, I am 31 years old, I am from Russia, and I live in Moscow. Married, you may know my wife under nickname Zefirka. By education I am a geologist, I thought that all my life I would prospect for oil in Siberia, but as a result of incredible circumstances I eventually became an IT analyst, I participate in the development of software - I communicate with customers and translate their requests into tasks for programmers, deal with decomposition, organization of the Kanban process and other such stuff. And, well, I draw UML all day long  :D.
I got acquainted with X-COM: UFO Defense at the age of 6, sitting on my father's lap (an avid strategy player), and since then it's my favorite game. At the age of 9, my best friend and I even tried to make a clone for it on Delphi! We couldn't go any further with base scape  :).
Around 2015, I discovered the OXC project and it changed my life drastically. I have a great addiction to the mods in different games, I always set a lot on all the games that I play. So I was immediately interested in mods for the OXC, and immediately after the first walkthrough of the OXC I made myself a mod for a laser sniper rifle (though it did not have its own graphics, yes, I know how trivial it is. But I was so young, I even used a note pad for it  :-X).
I really liked the mod X-Com Files and after a few months of playing it, I wanted to add character missions from the dossiers. The first was Lo Wu, and his katana was the first item with its own graphics (although it was just an ordinary repaint of an existing item  ;D). I can't tell by words how many emotions I experienced when I first saw it in the game. Thanks a lot to Solarius Scorch, who taught me modding missions.
For about 2 years I was involved in XCF development and even did some contributions to OXCE engine. Now I'm developing an own project, X-Com: From the Ashes (https://discord.gg/epmtzH9), hopefully in a few months, I'll be able to release a playable demo of it.

Offline Thermite

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 10, 2021, 11:35:37 pm »
Hi everyone,

Wow many eastern Europeans among us!
O_o
Welcome!!

Offline RogerSanchez

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 22, 2021, 10:24:57 am »
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum.I am 25 and I work as a manager in an IT company .I spend my free time playing various strategies.

Offline Dogbarian

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 26, 2021, 02:11:43 am »
Howdy - I live in Central Texas, I'm on the high side of 50, married (dogs only, no kids), and have spent far too much time playing XCOM in its various forms - games actually with XCOM in the title, that is, although I have also played a ton of Xenonauts, and most recently, Phoenix Point.   I somehow missed OpenXCOM though, until very recently, and started playing it to enjoy some nostalgia with improvements.   Y'all have done some great work!   And now I'm starting to look at mods, enjoyed modding the Firaxis one as well as Xenonauts, so I'm looking forward to what can be done here.

Online Galdred

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 02, 2021, 11:29:30 pm »
Hey, I am Alexandre. I was first obsessed with Laser Squad after I failed to "acquire" it. I played it at my cousins' home, and I wanted it badly but I could not find the Atari ST version for sale, and they traded their copy for something else when I asked them to copy it.
My obsession with the game and 40K made me write a mediocre (unfinished and unpolished) clone a few years later for Atari.

Spoiler:

Given that I didn't get a PC before 1998, I also missed X-COM, and I ended up playing X-COM apocalypse first.
I could only play X-COM: UFO Defense around 2005 on abandonware sites, but I really loved the game.

So a few years later, when I left my job to follow my wife to China, I started working on my own  fantasy X-COM (Zodiac Legion), and I am really glad to see X-COM still being modded (and into 40K!) with an updated UI.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 01:52:02 pm by Galdred »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 02, 2021, 11:54:41 pm »
That's quite a story ;)

Welcome and make yourself at home Galdred.

Offline SectoidLeader

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 22, 2021, 10:19:23 pm »
Hello!

I've been playing XCom since the 90s. Haven't played the original in almost 10 years. But played the 2012 re-make and Xenonauts. Recently bought the original on Steam and installed openXcom and am blown away. It's everything I wanted the 2012 re-make to be. Simply the original game except with updated UI and other creature comforts. With open Xcom, the original really stands the test of time.

Offline LuckyClover

• Captain
  • Trying my best :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 23, 2021, 12:01:09 am »
SectoidLeader is a super cool username  ;D

Offline kevL

• Colonel
  • pitchforks and torches
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 23, 2021, 03:51:42 am »
It's everything I wanted the 2012 re-make to be. Simply the original game except with updated UI and other creature comforts.

+1 billion

Offline EyeEye

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 01, 2021, 12:21:27 pm »
Aye, Commanders) I am Anton from a country that never surrenders to Aliens))
X-com game is something I can cry about in happiness, fantasizing about Battlescape and those murky Night missions.

First heard about XCOM from a friend. We were in a military colledge back in 1996, he got access to a computer lab and poured some hours into it. Then I "played" xcom listening to his stories about the game in our free time after the night sleep call, in the cold barracks under the blanket. He wispered about shooting down UFOs, how his rookie got killed by a distant green shot from darkness and so on. I got very emotional about this game without even seeing it, partly because I was still around 14yo and badly wanted to play it. It was only 4 years later that I got my first PC (thanks, grandma!) and the first 3.5" floppies it got fed with were xcom!

Long story short, I am so happy to replay XCOM and Xenonauts every now and then. I used to play with savegames before Ironman and named them creatively. Now I just read titles of my savegames and get transported immediately into the Battlefield, in bright colors. I am so happy OpenXCom allows unlimited saves, so I got hundreds every playthrough. I remind myself how vividly scary it was when a "SCANNER REVEALED BODY" or finally in desperate need of money on Geo it was a "MIRACLE TO DISCOVER LANDING SITE 6". "THEY APPEARED OUT OF NOWHERE" is a classic one)

It's great to be among the minds alike) Cheers