Author Topic: [WIP][TOTAL CONVERSION][OXCE] NuclearWorld : A Post Nuclear Strategy Game  (Read 10040 times)

Offline Khaligufzel

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
EDIT: 30/01/2023 The mod is LIVE! ;D
https://mod.io/g/openxcom/m/nuclearworld-a-post-nuclear-strategy-game

Hi hello from Poland! :)

A few days ago I started working on a total conversion mod called NuclearWorld (name to be changed, any ideas?)

Here are some information about my mod:

1. Mod HIGHLY based on Fallout 1/2 world, but with different lore.
2. No aliens. (WHAT!?)
3. No filler research, every topic should give you SOMETHING
4. Almost every weapon is useable in the end game, no more than 56743 variants of one gun- every weapon has advantages and disadvantages and should be different from the others.
5. You start with one Shelter- you will be able to build more in the MID/LATE game. But in the EARLY/MID game you are stuck with one- choose carefully what to buy.
6. High replayability- You can/have to choose between factions. Who is gonna be your enemy? Who's gonna be your ally?
7. You cannot build everything in your shelter. Do you want farms? Drills to get scrap metal? Maybe you need a weapon workshop to craft better weapons? Or maybe biolab with Stimpaks? You have to choose. Your base cannot provide EVERYTHING.
8. You start without radar. WHAT? HOW I'M GONNA SHOOT UFOs!? Well, guess what, first of all, there are no aliens! You will be able to take down human aircraft later in the game.
9. Factions are very important. You can choose to side with them giving you the option to recruit members of the faction and more stuff to buy. But you can also just rob them... it's up to you!
10. Limited space in every shelter. You have to decide what to do. Maybe workers, so you will be able to farm, get resources or craft stuff? Maybe researchers? Or maybe you just need that space for soldiers? Your call.
11. Limited storage space. You cannot have 657843 same items- decide what's useful and what's not.

For now, nothing is set in stone- many things I will change later probably. But I will try to stick to what I wrote. I will try to update this topic daily so I can keep track of my progress.

Looking forward to ANY suggestions/opinions!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 01:15:21 am by Khaligufzel »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP][MOD][OXCE] NuclearWorld : A Post Nuclear Strategy Game
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 09:21:04 pm »
Looks interesting.
Good luck!

PS: you'll be able to post links after your second post.

Offline Khaligufzel

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 09:25:32 pm »
Ahhh ok! Thanks! And thanks for help on discord too! :D

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 03:42:13 pm »
So, like the Hearts of Iron Fallout mod, but for XCOM? This sounds fun, although I suppose you can borrow many things from Piratez with little issue, even if no aliens are present.

One can't never have enough good Fallout games.

Offline Khaligufzel

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 07:31:58 pm »
Never heard of HoI Fallout mod, but it sounds interesting!

And when it comes to burrowing stuff I want all content to be original/free/not-copyrighted. I don't want to use assets without permission :)

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2021, 08:20:38 pm »
I was joking with the Piratez thing, you just have to ask Dioxine permission to use stuff from his mod and that's it, it's not like he can copyright his own mod. As for the Fallout mod, I meant this:

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=2265420196

Offline Khaligufzel

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2021, 08:28:40 pm »
This mod looks like fun! I'm gonna try it, so thanks for showing it!

And good to know! Maybe later in the process of making Fallout-like mod I'm gonna ask, if some of the assets would be fitting :)

Offline Khaligufzel

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2021, 12:03:17 am »
I'm sorry for posting under my own post!

BUT probably tomorrow... I will relase the first version of my mod! There are gonna be placeholder graphics. There are gonna be placeholder entries in Apocapaedia(UFOPaedia)! But... Early game is gonna be playable :)

Some stats:
21 Missions
56 Technologies
7 Factions

So far! :)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 12:07:23 am by Khaligufzel »

Offline Thunderwing280

• Colonel
    • View Profile
This seems really interesting, excited to see it's development!

Offline Khaligufzel

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
I'm glad that you find this mod interesting! :) :) I wanted to relase is yesterday, but turns out there is still a lot to do, even for just early game :)

But it's coming!

Offline _Brain322

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
That mod idea sounds really interesting ! I genuinely interested in that idea.

I think you might rework the whole ufo concept since, in vanilla game UFO's are the main source of resources and research topics. But some genrtaed thru deply ruleset missions (like maybe settelment defence or expedition of abandent military base) might be a good idea.

PS. if you need some graphics help, let me know. I like draw guns, armour and tiles sometimes :)

Offline Khaligufzel

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
I'm glad that you like the idea! :) And yeah, there are no aliens, there are no UFOs!

You have to help mutants, ghouls and human-based factions! ...or you can raid them yourself!

But I really like the military base idea! It gives me some other ideas too! Gonna work on it today :D

And thanks for the graphics making offer, personally I SUCK with it haha. My partner is interested in this mod aswell and she wants to make some sprites, but she has some other work to do first. So... I would be MORE than happy to have your help :) But first I'm gonna release the mod- then you can check if you still like it and if you still want to help! :)

Thanks for posting! :) :) :)

EDIT: Also, I'm streaming the making of the mod 4 times a week here: twitch.tv/khaligufzel
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 07:11:48 pm by Khaligufzel »

Offline Khaligufzel

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
We are now OPEN for any help! You can make one sprite... or 100. You can code one line... or 54756238- doesn't matter, you WILL be credited :)

INFO in my Original Post! If you have any questions catch me on Discord, comment here or send me a PM!

Also, I want to show you one of the sprites made by FilipH321! Thanks for awesome work!

Offline Khaligufzel

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
A bit info about the project:

Our team now is bigger!

We have a great music artist that is making a soundtrack to our mod!
https://soundcloud.com/drspaceman707/eternal-return-policy

Also, FilipH321 is making a LOT of GOOD sprites for weapons and equipment!

And my friend Shunsuka is working on GEOSCAPE globe to have it more... post-apo!

And I'm... doing everything else haha! We now have new maps, missions, weapons and lore! So far the project is growing VERY fast and it doesn't look like it's gonna get any slower! :)

Currently working on EVENTS. I promise- soontm the mod is gonna be playable ;)

EDIT: I hope making a new post every few days is ok. If not just let me know!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 08:05:16 pm by Khaligufzel »

Offline efrenespartano

• Commander
  • I know a lot about the law and other lawyerings.
    • View Profile
My friend Filip H told me he's working on your mod. And he is a staple of hard work and high quality standards, so I'm sure this project will become an excellent mod!

Great idea and brilliant implementation, i look forward to see more news from you.