Author Topic: The OpenXcom Files: Tips and Tricks!  (Read 33932 times)

Offline Slow

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: The OpenXcom Files: Tips and Tricks!
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2022, 04:55:53 pm »
Thanks, I will try shotguns.

Also, is there an other weapons apart from stun rod and taser to incapacitate enemies? Ranged of course. I must take some Red Lotus officers alive and it is hard, they keep killing me.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2022, 05:08:34 pm »
Also, is there an other weapons apart from stun rod and taser to incapacitate enemies? Ranged of course.
Shotgun beanbags, GL blunt rounds, Taser Cannons, dart rifles and pistols, KO and stun grenades, Small Launchers. Well, and Pepper Spray. That's nominally ranged. :P

In my experience, GL blunts are pretty good against the tough guys. Not so good for squishies. Taser cannons are also okay-ish, but your soldier can't really do much else (or much at all) with one. Grenade launchers aren't too rare, either, though unlocking them takes some doing. I think Taser Cannons come earlier?

And Red Dawn will keep killing you for a while. :D I think they're probably the toughest of the four cults overall, even if ninjas are more annoying.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 05:11:33 pm by Juku121 »

Offline Marrik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2022, 12:26:25 am »
Against zombies, I recommend that you have at least 1 agent dual-wielding Sawed Offs, they have less effective range than full-size shotguns but the ability to double-blast with both of them in one turn will greatly increase your survivability against Infectors. It's also a good idea to bring dogs; their reaction-fire barking can prevent zombies from swarming you, and they're also quite effective at killing them. Ideally, if you know that you're facing a large group of zombies, you would want to bring at least 2 dogs and 2 agents.

Also, remember that the zombies are only drawn to you if they can see you. The best strategy IMO is to fight the zombies at night, and have one agent carry a flashlight. Turn the light on to draw some of the zombies to you, turn it off and shotgun them, then turn it back on to draw more.

Also, is there an other weapons apart from stun rod and taser to incapacitate enemies? Ranged of course. I must take some Red Lotus officers alive and it is hard, they keep killing me.

The safest way to do it is to just shoot them with rifles from far away, then let bleeding incapacitate them and try to get over to them before they die.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 12:29:09 am by Marrik »

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2022, 02:09:31 am »
Yeah, from what my limited testing showed, Sawed-Offs and other starter shotguns are damn good against Zombies, possibly as good or better as many mid-tier shotguns (BO, 'Shotgun' shotgun, KS 23-M). These do have their other perks, like better long-range combat and multiple ammo types. It's not until auto-shotguns and Thrashers that you get stuff that considerably boosts your ability to mow down zombies with a wall of lead.

Melee is unrealistically deadly across the board, so dogs are pretty good at killing. Of course, that means Zombies are also damn good at killing you once they slip past. Makes me have flashbacks to They Are Billions. :-\

The safest way to do it is to just shoot them with rifles from far away, then let bleeding incapacitate them and try to get over to them before they die.
That's not very reliable, and safe only if practiced once you've thinned out the herd. Trying to get to a downed enemy usually means you'll be exposing yourself to many of their buddies, all baying for blood.

Offline Slow

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2022, 04:37:15 pm »
I bought a helicopter and there's a little circle over it on the World Map. What is it?

Symbols over the unconscious, the bleeding and sleeping I understand, but today was some new, that looked like ghost? What is the meaning of it?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2022, 05:02:12 pm »
I bought a helicopter and there's a little circle over it on the World Map. What is it?

Its the radar range. Your every vehicle should have it.

Symbols over the unconscious, the bleeding and sleeping I understand, but today was some new, that looked like ghost? What is the meaning of it?

It means that the character is "overstunned" - there is a relevant Pedia article, but I think it may too new to be in the latest version.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2022, 05:46:22 pm »

Over stunned. I.e. your character has way too much stun, like several times over his health. He will take damage and eventually die from overstun. If enemy, it is mostly irrelevant.

Offline Slow

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2022, 06:17:16 pm »
Thanks.

It's quite stupid that I can't have grenades. Today was attack on Red Dawn outpost, helicopter landed right in front of their building and they were waiting. 4 red dawn soldiers in like 8 tiles from heli landing site. Half of my agents die on the first turn, from reaction fire. And one of them even had grenade! it was total catastrophe.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2022, 08:43:07 pm »
Thanks.

It's quite stupid that I can't have grenades. Today was attack on Red Dawn outpost, helicopter landed right in front of their building and they were waiting. 4 red dawn soldiers in like 8 tiles from heli landing site. Half of my agents die on the first turn, from reaction fire. And one of them even had grenade! it was total catastrophe.

There are battles that you cannot win. Especially with the smaller teams. Just retreat and try again.

Other than that, carry a smoke grenade with at least two people. Just prime (or prerime it at equipment screen) and drop it on the ground. None of these actions trigger Reaction fire. Next turn you will be concealed and enemies will need to walk to you to see you.

And most of the early cults are better fought in the night.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2022, 10:43:21 pm »
There are battles that you cannot win.
Some arguably needlessly so. When you feel the need to mitigate this a bit, there's a mini-mod for that.

Next turn you will be concealed and enemies will need to walk to you to see you.
Not the Red Dawn. Until 2.6 comes out, they're all snipers and have already seen your troops.

And most of the early cults are better fought in the night.
Yes. Though Red Dawn are still quite dangerous even at night.

Offline Slow

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2022, 05:16:33 pm »
Several questions:

1. Ok. I got Biolab and Intel Lab, how do I speed up my research more? Which "lab" is next?

2. What should I research to get better armor than leather coat and kevlar vest?

3. Should I research and destroy secret societies ASAP, or they can wait?

Offline Vakrug

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2022, 06:28:56 pm »
1. Ok. I got Biolab and Intel Lab, how do I speed up my research more? Which "lab" is next?
Biolab #2 in your base #2.
2. What should I research to get better armor than leather coat and kevlar vest?
Research tree for Armored Vest: https://xcf.trigramreactor.net/master/article/STR_ARMORED_VEST
3. Should I research and destroy secret societies ASAP, or they can wait?
You should destroy 1 cult ASAP to get better armor. After that other cults are piece of cake.

Offline Slow

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2022, 07:11:48 pm »
Biolab #2 in your base #2.Research tree for Armored Vest: https://xcf.trigramreactor.net/master/article/STR_ARMORED_VESTYou should destroy 1 cult ASAP to get better armor. After that other cults are piece of cake.

Thanks. Sadly, I don't have enough funds to build second base.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2022, 09:33:04 pm »
Then you need to get some. More bases are vital.

The next actual lab is the 'Science Laboratory', which is locked behind Promotion II. So quite some ways off. Getting more Biolabs and Intel Centers (and perhaps even another HQ if you're swimming in money) is the way to go in early game.

There are also a number of sidegrades (Jumpsuit, Night Ops Suit, Bio-Exo Suit) to the Kevlar vest, losing out on some (frontal) armour but giving other benefits. Pretty much all of those are gated behind the Workshop (and some other requirements), which is partway to Promotion II. The most difficult part, usually. :(

There's also the Mongorn skin suit that's basically an improved leather coat and only requires enough Mongorns. And looks cool. 8)

I don't think you're up to destroying the cults if you're still wearing leathers. In general, if you leave the cults alive you get 'punished' with mansions (and thus cultist aircraft) and endless anti-cultist missions (plus some mid-game fuckery like hybrid bases). If you're patient, on the ball with your air game and can take down manors en masse (easier said than done), that's essentially free money and other loot. Some pretty nice loot, actually.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 09:39:25 pm by Juku121 »

Offline BreakRelease

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2022, 04:22:57 pm »
Nice thread, I'll add the best Bravery training method I've found: go to a milk run mission and have a dog bark at your soldiers for a little while.