aliens

Author Topic: [TC][OXCE][WIP] The Great War of the Worlds | v1.0 Mk. V Attrition  (Read 84499 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: [WIP] The Great War of the Worlds
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2018, 08:43:19 pm »
The game should display smaller units just fine, as long as their height is at least... 6, I think. If it's less, then the origin point of the bullet is generated below the surface.
I know Otto Hartenstein tackled this problem with ultrasmall units, but I'm not sure if it was included in OXCE. Still, this does not really concern you, if you want to make the units only half as tall (which would be 11 for humans).

Offline TarzanCZ

• Sergeant
  • For Earth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2018, 09:39:25 am »
Im super excited to see some screens from your progression again. Cant wait to play it.

Offline Anon011

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2018, 06:55:55 pm »
Further on the research tree you will get advanced tanks, some based on the chassis of these 4 tanks, some others very different. Definitely you will use a lot of tanks, alinare drew a lot of them.
Cant wait for Tesla Tanks :D

Offline efrenespartano

• Commander
  • I know a lot about the law and other lawyerings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2018, 07:44:37 pm »
Cant wait for Tesla Tanks :D

This is the model we use as inspiration. Our model uses two Tesla Coils, instead of just one.

Is part of the Tier II tanks. ;D

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Offline efrenespartano

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2018, 02:55:50 am »
Hello there!

This are the first steps into creating a new map. What Great War could be without trenches?

At the moment nothing else we have made two tilesets and it is necessary to recolor the craters taken from the Martian terrain.
If I remember correctly, it can be done with MCDEdit.

I'm still finding out how the routes work, but I'm confident that it will work out.  ;D

Special thanks to Hobbes, who explained to me (a while ago) how to edit all this.  ;D

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2018, 03:20:30 am »
An idea for the trenches - you can make the ground start at 1 level higher then use something similar to the dirt fill blocks from the base defense terrain to fill in the level below and dig out some trenches from that. I tested doing this with some OXCE code to make it so that I could make a minimum of new map blocks, but you don't need the code if you're already making new map blocks.

Offline efrenespartano

• Commander
    • View Profile
[WIP] The Great War of the Worlds
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2018, 03:47:08 am »
An idea for the trenches - you can make the ground start at 1 level higher then use something similar to the dirt fill blocks from the base defense terrain to fill in the level below and dig out some trenches from that. I tested doing this with some OXCE code to make it so that I could make a minimum of new map blocks, but you don't need the code if you're already making new map blocks.

Is a really good idea, Otto! I'm going to try to fill the base defense dirt in level 0 and the other stuff in level 1

I have a question: could be possible for a item (in this case, a trench shovel) to destroy a whole tile in a level below? So you can actually dig new trenches in mission. What damage and power will be required?

« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 04:16:11 am by efrenespartano »

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2018, 04:12:55 am »
I made a custom MCD for this - you need either 3 levels of the dirt fill object in either to have a side you can walk up and down into and out of it and peek out the other side, or have stairs and one object tile you can stand on and look out.

You can change the armor values of the tiles to balance it against the tile damage characteristics of your items. The little trench in the images I posted I made during the mission by digging with a heavy plasma.

Here, I'll attach the MCD so you can play with it a bit - it's in the TERRAIN folder of this WIP mod that I made to test the idea out.

Offline efrenespartano

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2018, 05:07:36 am »
I made a custom MCD for this - you need either 3 levels of the dirt fill object in either to have a side you can walk up and down into and out of it and peek out the other side, or have stairs and one object tile you can stand on and look out.

You can change the armor values of the tiles to balance it against the tile damage characteristics of your items. The little trench in the images I posted I made during the mission by digging with a heavy plasma.

Here, I'll attach the MCD so you can play with it a bit - it's in the TERRAIN folder of this WIP mod that I made to test the idea out.

Excellent, thanks Otto! I'm going to try, soon I'll post further details. ;D

I think I'll put Farm stairs to get out of the trenches. The problem would be like leaving a trench created in mission. Or is it possible to get out of the trench you made as an example without any other stuff? ???

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2018, 05:27:38 am »
Yes, the trench in the example shown in the images you can get out of by walking the opposite way the soldier is facing, but not directly forward. Units can walk up object tiles with a maximum of 10 voxels shift upwards - a full tile is 24 voxels, so I made 3 objects at heights of 8, 16, and 24 voxels with the dirt fill. I also made it so that the damaged version of each reduces it by 1 of those 3 levels, so you can cut yourself stairs as you dig the trench.

Offline efrenespartano

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2018, 06:01:01 am »
Brilliant, Otto! *u*

How do you do that? Both the creation of custom objets and the custom damage rate.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2018, 10:58:31 am »
I would not reccomend this for 2 reasons (other than amount of work required):
1) Major drag on performance.
2) AI loves to fall into holes it cannot get out from.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2018, 03:28:55 pm »
All I did is create a new terrain where the 'destroyed' version of each block is a shorter version of that block.

It won't produce a massive slowdown as it's adding only 1 z level, but getting AI units stuck is an issue - you'd have to make terrain destruction rare except for specialized digging tools and design your maps carefully.

Edit: As a starting point, you might consider just having a few missions with trenches in a custom terrain and make it so you can't dig more, preventing the player from making holes for the AI to fall into.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 03:34:56 pm by ohartenstein23 »

Offline efrenespartano

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2018, 04:39:07 pm »
Taking in consideration what you suggested, Otto and Dioxine, I'll make a "standard" version without the extra level, to appear randomly on the Geoscape and a "deep" version, with the extra dirt level and deep trenches with stairs (so both your units and the martians could get in and out), but make impossible to dig new ones, to avoid the failing AI. This last will be used in certain missions. :)

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2018, 06:02:20 pm »