Author Topic: OXCE (OpenXcom Extended) main thread  (Read 445885 times)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: OXCE (OpenXcom Extended) main thread
« Reply #720 on: February 27, 2021, 11:15:59 am »
Big request to return the option - difficultyBasedRetaliationDelay. Or tell me a way to completely avoid the Retaliation missions in the first month.

Implemented today in v6.9.7.

During the same mission, you should use only one of them.

In v6.9.7, all the ambient sounds will be reset when moving from one mission stage to another.
You don't have to reset them manually anymore.
You can now also use different types of ambient sound (`ambience` or `ambienceRandom`) on each mission stage.

https://lxnt.wtf/oxem/builds//Extended/Extended-6.9.7-7c2b57431-2021-02-27-win64.7z
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 11:23:50 am by Meridian »

Offline Ethereal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: February 28, 2021, 10:41:31 am »
Working. Thank you.

Offline Markus Ramikin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: March 02, 2021, 03:33:29 pm »
I just tried out Extended for the first time. Loaded an OXC save...

1. In Battlescape, what's the little number 2 in the lower-right corner of the psi-amp in my soldier's hand?

2. Why would the game tell me I'm missing mods, even though I carefully checked that I have exactly the same mods as in OXC? The same selection of standard mods, as well as this mod that transferred no problem. Should I worry about savegame compatibility from OXC -> OXCE?

3. is there a comprehensive list of differences between OXC and OXCE to be read anywhere? I don't just mean the ruleset referece, but features in general.

For example I see that the unequal LOS that leads to failure of mutual surprise when smoke is involved is solved. This is good, and important - but I do not see how I could know this if it hadn't been mentioned by some forum member in a conversation I was part of elsewhere.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 03:39:30 pm by Markus Ramikin »

Offline Nilex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: March 02, 2021, 04:47:03 pm »
I'm not an authority when it comes to answering this so I'll give what I think is right, until proper answers arrive:
1. In another mod I currently play, the number denotes if item requires 2 hands to use (green - allowed use but with acc penalty; red - other hand must be free to allow use). Not sure why or if Psi-Amp is a unique case here.
2. Don't know. I'm only worried about retaining OXC <-> OXCE vanilla savegames compatibility, nothing else. Additional mods complicate things in unforeseen ways so you may not get satisfactory answer to this.
3. Only this short list, afaik. I actually prefer OXCE way. If we were to load saves in OXC the game simply assumes vanilla behavior without loss of information (except additional UI options in OXCE).

LOS and other stuff, if indeed the case, may be unintentional case of undocumented changes. Those creep up over time and get increasingly more difficult to keep track of? Could be on your end though, since you mentioned mods. Residue in configs/rules/etc from pasts mods perhaps? Anyway, like I said, let's wait for proper authority as topic mildly interests me as well.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: March 02, 2021, 04:49:07 pm »
I just tried out Extended for the first time. Loaded an OXC save...

1. In Battlescape, what's the little number 2 in the lower-right corner of the psi-amp in my soldier's hand?

2. Why would the game tell me I'm missing mods, even though I carefully checked that I have exactly the same mods as in OXC? The same selection of standard mods, as well as this mod that transferred no problem. Should I worry about savegame compatibility from OXC -> OXCE?

3. is there a comprehensive list of differences between OXC and OXCE to be read anywhere? I don't just mean the ruleset referece, but features in general.

For example I see that the unequal LOS that leads to failure of mutual surprise when smoke is involved is solved. This is good, and important - but I do not see how I could know this if it hadn't been mentioned by some forum member in a conversation I was part of elsewhere.

1/ it's the indicator that it is a 2-handed weapon

2/ if you're missing mods, check if they have metadata.yml (this file is mandatory in OXCE)
if you're not missing any mods, upload the save here so that I can have a look

you don't need to worry about savegame compatibility OXC -> OXCE, it is 100% compatible

3/ there are thousands of fixes and new features in OXCE, the only truly "comprehensive" list of differences is a git log
more humanly-readable changelog is here: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4187.0.html
but even this shortened changelog is a reading for days and days... there's 7 years of active development in OXCE

The LOS example (once confirmed) is likely a very early change (from before 2015), when I wasn't involved in OXCE yet, and thus not documented by me.
I'll check what the difference is and document it... but I don't think OXCE has equal LOS, as far as I know smoke does make it unequal also in OXCE, maybe in a slightly different way if you say it works differently than OXC.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 04:56:47 pm by Meridian »

Offline Markus Ramikin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: March 03, 2021, 12:09:03 am »
Thanks for the replies.
The LOS example (once confirmed) is likely a very early change (from before 2015), when I wasn't involved in OXCE yet, and thus not documented by me.
I'll check what the difference is and document it... but I don't think OXCE has equal LOS, as far as I know smoke does make it unequal also in OXCE, maybe in a slightly different way if you say it works differently than OXC.

I found out about it from this post. If you download the savegame from the first post of that thread, you'll see that in OXC moving the soldier one tile forward, to 31,20, gets the soldier killed through lack of mutual surprise, while in OXCE any angle of approach results in mutual surprise. This is true without any mods.

if you're missing mods, check if they have metadata.yml
Never mind. I somehow unclicked a mod I thought I had clicked. I shouldn't post while ultra tired.

I do not understand, however, why OXC sees my own mod that I add to the "standard" folder, while in OXCE the game only recognizes it if I put it in user/mods. Is this intended? And yes, I did include metadata.yml.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 12:13:59 am by Markus Ramikin »

Offline yergnoor

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: March 03, 2021, 04:39:51 am »
I do not understand, however, why OXC sees my own mod that I add to the "standard" folder, while in OXCE the game only recognizes it if I put it in user/mods. Is this intended? And yes, I did include metadata.yml.
Yes, it was intentional.  There was too much confusion in the discussions, when some wrote that mods should be placed in the "mods" folder, and others that in the "standard" folder.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: March 03, 2021, 08:04:27 am »

Yes, it is intended.
It's needed for example for the auto-update functionality.
But even without it, supporting and troubleshooting manual upgrade issues and platform change issues has become much easier since this was introduced. It has saved countless hours that I can invest more productively into development.

Offline Markus Ramikin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: March 03, 2021, 11:06:33 am »
I see, then nothing's wrong. Good to know.

Offline Dogbarian

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: March 03, 2021, 05:23:00 pm »
So, if my "mod" consists of just a single rul file with a few changes, do I still need the metadata.yml file?  What does that file need to have in it (or can I take an existing one from another mod and make whatever changes are needed)?

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: March 03, 2021, 05:55:48 pm »
So, if my "mod" consists of just a single rul file with a few changes, do I still need the metadata.yml file?  What does that file need to have in it (or can I take an existing one from another mod and make whatever changes are needed)?

Yes, every OXCE mod no matter how small needs it.

"id" and "name" should be provided as a minimum, other attributes are optional.

You can copy it from another mod if you want, just don't forget to change those two attributes, especially the "id" (it needs to be something unique).

Offline Ethereal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: March 03, 2021, 06:21:58 pm »
1, 2, 3, 4.....
Most of it is already implemented and working. There is no point in discussing anymore. Sooner or later, the rest will be implemented. As I said, it only takes time.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: March 03, 2021, 06:35:00 pm »
1, 2, 3, 4.....
Most of it is already implemented and working. There is no point in discussing anymore. Sooner or later, the rest will be implemented. As I said, it only takes time.

I don't know what you're talking about.

Offline Markus Ramikin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: March 06, 2021, 05:15:21 am »
even this shortened changelog is a reading for days and days
Hey, it's more useful than you made it sound. I've already been able to look up various stuff that bothered me thanks to that link (like why I suddenly have 65 storage instead of 50, that freaked me out). So thanks again!

Offline Ethereal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: March 06, 2021, 02:04:45 pm »
Meridian, can you tell us what was done in version 6.9.7-e? I don't even know where to look and what to test, other than what was discussed. What's in development? When the release of a new version that is already underway.