Author Topic: Some misc 40k mod feedback  (Read 706 times)

Offline Delkatar

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: Some misc 40k mod feedback
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2018, 05:30:47 pm »
Yeah, I'm building only one appothecary armour per base. Servitors can heal? I haven't really used them as my experience with vehicle hadn't been good so far. Considering that lately most opposition is chaos space marines, I might invest in some sentinels. I do have a cadre of guardsmen I've been training for pilots and to flesh up the ranks while my marines heal after getting shot up.

Edit: Speaking about terminators - how do you defend against a base assault chock full of them? In the previous build, the defense corridor lasted two turns and that was mostly because it took that long for more than to of the terminators to get in. After that they simply rushed in and I managed to kill two, perhaps three after a lot of reloading and in the process lost more than half of the deployed marines. Mind you, in for that defense I did load an earlier save and re-deployed everyone I had in the assaulted base but it didn't help. That's why I went with devastator strategy this time. In the previous game I went with tactical and had only six people with missile launchers/lance cannons across my bases. The rest had meltas, plasma and snipers with most of them having the standard space marine armour. Needless to say, it was a slaughter once the terminators closed in.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 05:35:16 pm by Delkatar »

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2018, 05:33:52 pm »
Most of the time the anti-air defense structures are useless, as you need to do the full HP in damage to prevent a landing, otherwise they do nothing.  I would also not put defenses and the cloaking device in the same base, as they are opposing defense strategies and use a lot of space combined - in general 2 cloaking devices are enough to prevent getting scouted most of the time, and base defenses take too much space until you have the highest tier plus the building that allows them to fire twice.

I would also advise against making a choke point too small, because that means it's a choke point for you when you need to finish clearing out the hangars, and having a second choke point means you can flank the enemy.  As for defeating chaos terminators, you need to pull out some big guns or reduce their armor in some way.  Krakk missiles are a good way to simply overpower that armor, and you can buy them from the beginning of the game.  If you're not using the weapon rebalance mod, then repeated sniper rifle strikes can also do it.  Standard bolter ammo damages armor, so focus-firing on the same target in the same spot repeatedly will make them vunerable to follow-up.  Early on, I like using the heavy bolter to do this, as the large magazine size and many autoshots mean that armor goes down quick.  Later, try meltas to reduce that armor even faster or graviton guns to simply ignore it.

Defense corridors with the turrets will help immensely with this, as the large armor values plus bolter ammo means you can reduce a termie's armor without putting one of your marines in danger.

Finally, don't forget that most melee weapons bigger than the knife damage armor and can get in more hits per turn than most ranged weapons.

Offline Delkatar

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2018, 06:16:54 pm »
I hope that the defense corridor will be more useful in the new version. In that mission the turrets got one-shotted all and despite focusing fire on a single terminator didn't seem to phase him.

I do know that melee weapons should work... However coming anywhere close to a group of six or seven terminators with the armour I had was suicide - couple of turns after they got to the fefense corridor and approached my people I managed to down a few of them and on the next turn I got multiple people one-shotted. It went downhill from there and more terminators and demons were coming behind that first wave.

Krak missiles, snipers, they work, sometimes. Others - I've had my whole squad focusing on a terminator and melting him in a few shots or the bloody thing could take everything I dished out for multiple turns. Not a good thing when there are a lot of them rushing in. As I mentioned multiple times, that's why I went for devastator strategy this time and focused on soldier weapons and base defenses. I could have gotten a terminator armour too but chose to build standard armours for everyone first.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2018, 06:36:40 pm »
Well yes, you shouldn't rush in to melee when there are 6 or 7 terminators, this is why I suggested not having a single-base-tile choke point as that often means needing to face multiple enemies at once instead of them being spread out enough to take on one at a time.

Offline Delkatar

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2018, 03:21:24 pm »
Of course not. That's practically suicide even if there's one of them who isn't panicked. Ideally I want to keep them at range. That really wasn't an option in the base defense if I wanted to actually kill them.

EDIT: A bit more feedback. After two easy large lander missions - traitor guard, I basically ignored everything in the air and there were no more landings that moths. The consequence was that two sectors defected and immediately a chaos base got revealed - plague marines with a few demons and terminators in the mix. For some reason I couldn't get support servitors loaded on Landspeeder, though they have no issue deploying with dropods it seemed. This time I did get 17 honour badges for clearing up the mission and a lot of money selling chaos sacrifices for a relatively light price - three dead people, one rookie Sister of Battle, a guard sergeant and a marine one. I just got my first hulk mission shortly after that but unfortunately could't get to it with enough people to beat it - it was just out of landspeeder range from my second base and most people in the first got wounded after the base assault. From what little I saw from the Orks it's a neat job and I can't wait to encounter them again, hopefully successfully this time.

One thing of note from the two plaughtroughs - I never detected a single chaos base in the first one for more than an year of in game time and in that game I was doing significantly more missions, often using droppods to evade enemy aircraft. What I note is that you play well enough not to lose sectors to chaos and thus have a chance for more enemy bases to spawn and thus liberate the places and if the side operation missions don't spawn, a player might face a shortage of honour badges that can lead to some issues with advanced equipment - either get a few nice terminator armours, upgrade fighter craft or build advanced equipment.

In contrast, by letting the enemy basically do what they want for about a month and losing couple of sectors, I'm right now ahead of the curve and got enough money to build a fourth base, outfit it with adamantium forge and basically turn built up my third one and by the end of the month it will be a nice cloaked and defended manufacturing hub that should basically solve any money issues I might have for the rest of the game.

Is it just me or isn't it counterintuitive that a great way to get ahead if you can handle assaulting the enemy bases would be to basically intentionally let sectors fall to chaos so you can then liberate them?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 08:59:49 pm by Delkatar »

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2018, 10:32:14 pm »
Not being able to load support servitors comes from the fact that they are classified as "auxiliary units," the same classification as for HWPs from the original game.  This means that in order to have a support servitor, the craft also needs to have room to allow a large 2x2 unit.  The droppods have space for one in their deployment, but not the landspeeder.

The difference between your playthroughs wasn't due to you being more or less active, it was pure RNG.  This mod doesn't have the code turned on that interrupts enemy 'missions' by either assaulting landed craft or shooting them down, so the most you can do is slow down missions by shooting down craft.  It sounds like your first playthrough was just lucky/unlucky in that you didn't get many missions that create bases, while your second one started with the corruption missions early.  "Playing well enough to not lose sectors" does not happen unless you beat the game before a corruption mission starts.