aliens

Author Topic: Newbe questions  (Read 302334 times)

Offline Zippicus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Newbe questions
« Reply #795 on: September 18, 2018, 01:16:52 pm »
I'm having trouble scrapping buildings.

1) Burrows. I expanded my living space, prisons and vaults, but still I can't scrap those burrows.
2) Hangar. I shipped away the craft that was housed therein, but now I can't destroy it.

What's up here? Are bases not meant to be remodeled?

Well if you have barrack and vault space available the only thing left to stop you from scrapping a burrow would be some sort of critter being in there,  try right clicking on the burrow and seeing what's in there.  The hangar also includes work space so you probably have to reduce the amount of runts you have working on a job to be able to remove it.

KZad Bhat

« Reply #796 on: September 18, 2018, 01:26:55 pm »
I hadn't ever read that seeing from eye level and shooting from the hip was the actual rationale used, whether from the beginning or a personal retcon. Either way, no wonder the soldiers can hardly ever hit what they actually can shoot at, firing from the hip is not known for great accuracy.

One of the more aggravating aspects of the current line of sight/line of fire structure is the times I can see the enemy when face 45 degrees from the most optimal angle, try to take a shot . . . and now that I've turned 45 degrees not only can't take the shot, but can't see the enemy either. This is just strange.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #797 on: September 18, 2018, 03:17:21 pm »
I hadn't ever read that seeing from eye level and shooting from the hip was the actual rationale used, whether from the beginning or a personal retcon.

It's not a "rationale", it's a fact.

Either way, no wonder the soldiers can hardly ever hit what they actually can shoot at, firing from the hip is not known for great accuracy.

Umm, you do realize that X-Com units are not real people, right? :P
Shooting from the hip is a convention the OG devs made, since that's where the weapon sprite is drawn.

One of the more aggravating aspects of the current line of sight/line of fire structure is the times I can see the enemy when face 45 degrees from the most optimal angle, try to take a shot . . . and now that I've turned 45 degrees not only can't take the shot, but can't see the enemy either. This is just strange.

Around the corners, eh?
Yea, the system is not perfect. Still, it's way more robust than in almost any other game of similar level of details.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #798 on: September 18, 2018, 03:28:27 pm »
1) Burrows. I expanded my living space, prisons and vaults, but still I can't scrap those burrows.
2) Hangar. I shipped away the craft that was housed therein, but now I can't destroy it.

What's up here? Are bases not meant to be remodeled?

1) Burrows also provide living space for your dogs and other animals.
2) Hangars also give 5 workshops space, make sure it's not occupied for manufacturing.

Offline Shrugger

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: September 18, 2018, 04:02:31 pm »
Alright, that explains the building troubles.

Also, second Mansion. Academy this time. I went in with my top reaction/firing gals, have them magnums, eagles and snubbies, and filled them to their frilly skirts with explosives.

This time, that mansion didn't stand a chance.

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: September 18, 2018, 05:19:15 pm »
Trying to define where to get prismatic shields. Found only one terrain mcd: ninjaspecial.
Used in only one ufo, used in only one mission - ninja harrasment or so.
And this mission only available on difficulty 4 or bigger.
Say that i am wrong, please.

Offline cc

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: September 18, 2018, 05:51:53 pm »
Say that i am wrong, please.
You're wrong.

Spoiler:
The missions appear on all difficulties, but start later on lower ones.

Offline Shrugger

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: September 18, 2018, 08:00:03 pm »
How the hell do you deal with Strix zombieladies?

Gas masks?

Offline DaEMon

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: September 18, 2018, 08:17:55 pm »
Hi, I just went to the Dr. X duel and my gal spawns inside a box, she can't move or pick up weapons. How do you fight?

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: September 18, 2018, 08:36:05 pm »

Gas masks?

Cover
But gas masks should help if she gets a shot off.

Offline AgentFransis

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: September 18, 2018, 08:43:12 pm »

Gas masks?
Overwhelming firepower. Early game I just run.

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: September 18, 2018, 08:49:43 pm »
In open terrain she can be nasty, but in urban ones she is pretty easy to hunt down and kill.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: September 18, 2018, 09:06:38 pm »
Hi, I just went to the Dr. X duel and my gal spawns inside a box, she can't move or pick up weapons. How do you fight?

You start on a different floor of a grav lift then the main arena, use the ascend/descend buttons on the left of the UI panel.

It's not that visually obvious that you are on a lift given the view angle. 

Offline Vansi

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: September 18, 2018, 10:27:27 pm »
Exactly that. If we added that, then next thing in line is the need to add ECM to the enemy craft to restore skewed balance. Then ECCM to player's radars. Then antiradar missiles to target ECCMs. Then antimissiles to player bases. Then all the reverse. Then CIWS to both. How deep the rabbit hole does go? If you read Alice carefully, you will know that rabbit holes have infinite depth.

However, this isn't even about that. If I considered half-hour scale to be too disadvantageous to the player, I'd have all craft slower and/or all radars having more range. It would be done if the current abstraction was considered unbalanced (and was being adjusted in the past for that reason).

I just consider this rabbit hole not adding anything interesting to the model.
In original game radar pings were send every 10 minutes. So you actally DOWNGRADED Open Xcom, and radar pings are send every 30 minutes in order to bring "balance". The end result is that enemy fast ship can fly past radar undetected and therefore radar is useless. This is not a balance, this is AI cheating.     

It's not about awesomeness, it's about the simple fact that a unit sees from its eye level, but shoots from the hip. Therefore you may see something, but not have the line of fire. It's that easy.

Don't treat me like I am an idiot, I don't like this.

Applying your logic aimed shot from eyes level should instantly resolve the issue. But it doesn't, it only shows how pathetic is your excuse for 24 years old bug in the code. And now probably you will start arguing that aimed shots are made also from hip level.

Before you ask: no, Meridian will not change the code to make units shoot from the eye level. It's mostly about vanilla compatibility.

Ah, the compatibility. So when are you going to restore 80 items limit in craft inventory? It is so incompatible with OG. Open Xcom was suppose to be improvement over bugged and limited OG, but old bugs are preserved in the name of compatibility.       

Offline cc

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: September 18, 2018, 11:29:08 pm »
You need to wear a Gravball Armor as the mission description said.

In original game radar pings were send every 10 minutes.
They were not. Both EU and TFTD had 30 minute scan intervals, no matter what the description (which is wrong about pretty much everything) of the buildings said.

But it doesn't, it only shows how pathetic is your excuse for 24 years old bug in the code.
Stop labeling conscious design decisions as bugs. Having line-of-fire and line-of-sight identical is far easier than the implemented model, so quite clearly effort was spent to make it work with different origins instead of copping out and accepting cliping.