aliens

Author Topic: Stuff I'd love to see in XPiratez!  (Read 304921 times)

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff I'd love to see in XPiratez!
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2018, 03:06:03 pm »
Not in Blackbeard difficulty, apparently.

Offline cc

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2018, 03:52:18 pm »
There's enough spawn points, though. The Loberstermen have only a 20% chance to carry them, so maybe you got unlucky?

P.s.: I don't remember how the dQty works, but I assume it's a linear function rounding down. So you should get between 3 and 5 Lobstermen - an average of 4. At 20% drop chance, you'll have a ~59% chance to see at least one Sonic Rifle per mission.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 04:13:56 pm by cc »

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2018, 12:50:57 am »
Y'know, I forgot that the lobstermen can actually carry weapons and aren't just limited to their claws.  It doesn't help that they only ever used their claws and nothing else out of all the times I've fought them in Piratez (including this current version), so I thought that they've regressed to being a mere terror unit similar to reapers and chryssalids.

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2018, 11:46:23 am »
Gunwise

Manufactureable canister launcher ammo (unless I am missing something)
Plasma/Fusion ammo for the AGL and Spitfire
Poison Gas ammo for Spitfire
HVAP ammo for Bossar
EMP rocket for Advanced Launcher or EMP mortar round
That cute chempistol hybrids use in X-Com Files

Armorwise:

more armor types for lokk’naars

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2018, 12:29:19 pm »
Armorwise:

more armor types for lokk’naars

Lokk'naar's best use is for piloting sectopods in lategame.
The shadow-armor can only withstand "so much" punishment and the midget remains squishy the entire run resistance and stat-wise.
The best armor is the option to command a sectopod.

The whole purpose of the lokk'nar design for me is stealth and guerilla-tactics (2/3rd of the campaign) together with some good voodoo-exceptions. They lack the toughness of real pirates.
A 'tank' auxillia unit is the Slave Soldier wearing the Testudo-Armor. High stats, not the best resistances.

Only Tanks can beat the annihilator armor but simply lack the utility a crackmarine brings to the table.

Offline armadilloTank

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2018, 01:51:59 pm »
A menu or pop up that shows:
Things you should have researched.

Apparently a bunch of minor things like live celatids etc I missed researching in the swarm of items you get.

That or a "next step" research items list.

This along with ways to cut down the mission selection late game so you can have more focused/progressive gameplay. I have never seen a baron of hell even though I have been playing on and off for a year+ IRL (with different starts etc). I do like the randomness but it needs to ramp up in difficulty as time goes on and old missions need to disappear for that to happen.

The starting-a-new-mission-surprise experience is my favorite thing in Piratez and OpenXCom in general. Dropping into a mission against threat I've never seen before (literally) is super fun and creates the most chaotic and difficult scenarios.

Other Gripes:
-continued armor options for auxilia or some way for me to turn my spec-ops Loknoids and Peasants into advanced units
-some way to tell if an enemy can see me. It never feels that camouflage is working
-camouflage never seems to work
- Romance option for tornado rocket mortar. Also known as the one weird trick architecture and infantry hate.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2018, 05:26:13 pm »
snip
-some way to tell if an enemy can see me. It never feels that camouflage is working
-camouflage never seems to work
snip

Camouflage does work, However that said default spotting in day time is 40 tiles, so 10-12ish off 40 usually mean your seen anyway in most situations. Add in that a not insignificant portion of enemies have SPOT which reduces your camo rateing, and its not that effective for the player during the day.

Night time is better, 4-6ish off 9-25 has a much larger impact, but remember that being in a tile with light level above (9?) is treated as you where in daylight.

Offline rezaf

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2018, 10:40:30 pm »
A menu or pop up that shows:
Things you should have researched.

Seconded. I would have never thought I'd ever say such a thing, but there's just too much stuff in XCom with XPiratez, much of it of questionable usefulness.
Some guidance on what you should be researching when would be a good start.

Having played in 2016 and now again, I would also like to see some amount of reason return - I DO realize this is probably a pipe dream, though.
Armor values are excessive - WAY better than the tanks you can build - probably much later then when you first encounter such enemies.
Projectile weapons seem utterly pointless now, every enemy has hitscan skills and shoots you across the map with a pistol whilst your gals fumble around helplessly with a sniper rifle. And the only enemies you can kill, even with the very expensive and research intensive later guns, are completely unarmored ones you might easily dispose of with hunting bows.
I'm currently at a point in the game where I encounter mostly the academy, and many missions start with a Marsec Bodyguard with a Nuke launcher in some corner of the map. That's no fun.
In my last mission, I had one run out of ammo or something (at least he ceased shooting) and I took him down with Assault Lasers. He ate 12(!) FULL magazines. There were some misses, but cmon.

Anyway, since that is not going to happen, some guidance on what you should research when would be gravy.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2018, 02:07:33 am »
It all about the right tool/damage type for the situation rezaf, getting through the game with only one weapon for all situations is not the way its designed.

Lasers are bad against the academy, pierce is bad against mercenary, dont expect to be able to gas a guy in sealed up power armor, ghouls resist chem, ect

If what you want is single line of progressively better weapons with zero differences besides moar damage go play new xcom titles.

Offline Shawdawg

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2018, 08:55:37 am »
Something I'd like to see implemented at some time, since we have the cthulu monsters, the dark ones from doom, and the humanists, among others, why not implement either the Orks from Warhammer 40k (heck there is already a Kustom Handcannon) or Chaos.

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2018, 09:04:51 am »
Lasers are bad against the academy,

You mean church. Everything works just fine against the academy, they are the weakest of the major factions.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2018, 09:58:05 am »
New Xcom isn't Xcom. It's a result of "let me hold your hand I do the micromanagement for you" and a f*cked up combat system.
The whole thing with "pod-activation" is a huge mess and aliens are just way too powerful to let them live for any turn to fight back at you.

"Xcom 2" is the prime example to plan "alpha-strikes" against everything. Sextoids screw you over from the first mission; "fun"-lancers love to crit and disable soldiers.
You can only deploy 4 people with pee-shooters and poor aim. RNJesus to do decent damage or hit at all. Grenades allways hit because reasons.

Forget what the reboots tries to be and fails doing so. This is the real Xcom.

Offline ivansanchez

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2018, 10:22:34 am »
New Xcom isn't Xcom. It's a result of "let me hold your hand I do the micromanagement for you" and a f*cked up combat system.

Those things are not necessarily bad. I mean, when I played UFO:EU back when I was ...counts years... 16, the amount of micromanagement and the UI was brutal for a teenager. Even more so than combat.

What bugs me about x-com 2012 is that the maps are way smaller, the 4-6 people squad limitation, and that the time-limited missions have very few turns. Combine that with the x-com2 thing about "get here in 2 or less turns to get loot or else the alien artifact will self-destroy inexplicably" and you've got yourself a game where you just have to push forward with little thinking. There is very little opportunity to leverage different soldier abilities or equipment.

But I do think that UFO:Aftermath was in a sweet spot. Yes, there is a 7-people limit (but the game overcomes that by providing much better situational awareness for your squad status), a real-time system that I greatly enjoyed (I'm not that nostalgic of turn-based combat, mind you), and the right amount of loadout micromanagement. Major drawback was the "we couldn't figure out how to make doors, so we have teleporters instead" thing :-|

Forget what the reboots tries to be and fails doing so. This is the real Xcom.

I dunno, that sounds like No True Scotsman. Different audiences like different kinds of games. But people should realize things like "Ugh, xcom 2012 is too arcadey, I don't like it" or "Ugh, openxcom+xpiratez has too much micromanagement, I don't like it"

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2018, 10:36:58 am »
I've Xcom EU + EW + Longwar sitting on the drive for a good year untouched. Longwar makes the game more interesting but the core-game doesn't do the mod any favour.
I've Xcom 2 on disk and can't bother myself to pay money for DLC and more stupid fluff for a mediocre game that serves very little replay-value.
Longwar 2 is a "mod" and that's it.

Piratez gives alot of replay-value and I'm a player that loves old-school games. I'm toying around playing Baldur's Gate 1 + 2 Enhanced Edition over and over to dig into various team-compositions and dual-class options to see how hard I can abuse the rulebook.

And with Piratez I can go with 1 out of 4 codexes and have to adjust my strategy depending on the loot found to get to crucial research topics.
I'm currently in april 2601 in my run (JS SM) and had a little surprise crackdown by the academy nurses with 3 drones in the squad. No codex so far, will go green this time (choosen at the start of the campaign with no influence from the boards ;) ) and maybe I can get "back to school" around late may or june. RNG spawned 2 temples on the edge of my airbus-reach so I've lost alot of money that way and my third temple had zombies during a night mission.

KZad Bhat

« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2018, 10:36:13 am »
All this and no discussion yet of Xenonauts? They did manage to keep much of what made the original X-COM so awesome, all while improving a few things that X-COM missed on, or just couldn't do at the time. Half the reason I'm focusing on Original X-COM and OXCE+ is because of XPiratez, in fact. Of course having my video card frequently crashing and restarting doesn't help, either, but if Dioxine ever decides to transfer over to Xenonauts I'll follow for sure.