26 (16%)
Grey
68 (42%)
Gold
21 (13%)
None - they are all equal.
18 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 156

Author Topic: Codex Popularity Poll  (Read 108249 times)

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Codex Popularity Poll
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2018, 01:44:39 am »
Sometimes, killer droids spawn on those tiny islands far below your z-level; and they do nothing but not move at all and camp on their spots while overwatching and firing the instant they spot you.  Those droids are the worst to deal with.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2018, 09:24:09 am »
Axes do cutting damage. And since cutting damage doesn't cause enemies to explode, they will not 'go boom'.

I tried to fight Strix in space early on using barbed daggers. B-Daggers do cutting damage and the strix goes 'boom' because it's programmed to explode on death.
You've to use a combination of stun damage first (cattle prod does a good job on zombies) and dagger the Strix until the HP drops below the caused stun-level.

If you do too much stun damage the strix explodes as well. Best to bring a mind orb with you.

I did this plenty of times and it worked! The strix drops to the ground (without playing the dead-sound) and instead of turning into a captive (Zzz) it morphs to a corpse.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2018, 09:32:07 am »
Sometimes, killer droids spawn on those tiny islands far below your z-level; and they do nothing but not move at all and camp on their spots while overwatching and firing the instant they spot you.  Those droids are the worst to deal with.

My biggest concern with those island campers is de wey the map block works. A.I. and the player can shot through solid plastasteel walls, rendering the actual 'window' pointless to exist.
The main building (cross shaped) works totally fine for reasons. Droids and player can't see through or shot through the wall.

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2018, 01:45:24 pm »
I tried to fight Strix in space early on using barbed daggers. B-Daggers do cutting damage and the strix goes 'boom' because it's programmed to explode on death.

That can't be right, death explosions shouldn't happen from cutting damage.  I've had tamed reapers and tamed werewolves melee cyberdiscs to death without the discs exploding, and a hand once stabbed a strix to death with a vibro blade without the strix blowing up.  And yes, they were confirmed deaths and not stuns as indicated by the death sounds they made upon dying.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2018, 01:50:04 pm »
I'll test with various tools and damage types against strix/boomsaurus/disks in quick battle and debug assistance.
Will post results later.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2018, 06:00:34 pm »
Cyberdisk:
Impossible to get a functioning one. Adding stun first and dealing concussive/cutting damage will drop it down without explosion but instantly transforms it into a 2x2 corpse.
A flamer can take it out without destroying it. Cutting and Concussion doesn't break it either.
It also doesn't explode if you overkill the disk (evaporize via a massive plasma-explosion (BFG)).

Strix:
If you use cutting and concussive weaponry it will die without exploding. If you manage to drop down the HP below stun level without actually killing it, the dead-sound won't play just like 'stunning' an enemy and the strix turns into a corpse. If the strix has stun-damage on her and you do any source of damage to her dropping HP below stun-level, she drops without exploding and without dying sound.

But! If you massacre her with a cattle-prod too much, she explodes. I tested the vampiric sword and cut her till she made the death-sound and she didn't explode.
Yet, it is impossible to get a live-speciment this way. It refused to work an update before and now it's a given that the strix-research has to be gained through "Arcane Tome".

Boomosaurus:
He simply drops to a corpse if you manage to reduce his HP below stun level.
You can knock him out using only cutting damage (no death-sound) but he simply morphs to dead corpse.

The Boozesaur is impossible to get unless you manage to MC the beast and MC-Capture it this way.
> You can MC a Strix and a Boomosaur but good luck with a cyberdisk. Literally licking it with a greater voodoo staff and 60/56 vpower/vskill is impossible to break through the 150 vpower of the cyberdisk.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 06:15:37 pm by Ethereal_Medic »

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2018, 07:27:37 pm »
It seems the question about Codex is really a question about Space, the final frontier, and which codex works best for helping you to get into and operate best in space.

About the zombie encounters, the only one that I had with the new strix zombies in my last playthrough I was using Handles + Shivs and charger laspistols. Without a doubt using the charger laspistol on zombies was a chore but it eventually did the job if for example there was one on the lift above me and I couldnt melee it. I wanted to bring barbed daggers but since the Shiv goes so fast the damage adds up well enough and that 1x1 space is unbeatable.

I mainly used 2 Syns to destroy those zombies, they would duck in through the lift and shiv/handle zombies then duck back up the lift so they couldnt follow. I had one Strix explode on me from the floor below when I shot it, but my Syn tanked it like a champ. The other hands in space suits were just there as backup and as "waterboys" to keep the Syns cooled down (wait, do zombies also get damaged by the strix explosion?)
(I didnt expect zombies on the mission, I was going through to capture guild spacemen for interrogation, but I decided this combo was good for taking down spacemen and it just happened to work on zombies)

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2018, 08:52:17 pm »
The codex choice goes far deeper down the tech tree and changes alot of things how you progress through the game.
Red gives you an instant boost through the rough early game by offering free armor and guns. Questionable the weakest unique craft-gun (custom spike rocket launcher) but the tank-menace.
Gold gives you treasures, a great uniform + lash and the 'Flame Cannon' as the 2nd best craft weapon (burns hellerium instead of chems, that's why place 2)
Green gives you medical stuff, the healing gel is an instant upgrade for bandages and a free medic-suit. Also 3 additional hands. The craft charger laser looks weak but it doesn't cost ANY ammo so you can gun down all civilian crafts by simply pew pew them with the charger laser.
Grey is meant to give you alot of things to research (7 free disks, a free liber occultus) and a buffed up seagull launcher. It's the best custom craftgun imo and usefull throught the game until you can spam meteor rockets. It's meant to get voodoo faster but that's a really long way to your personal voodoo-school and with the newest update you've to look for 10 hypno panels to even build a voodoo school at all. Grey gives you no direct battle-field boosts but instead more intel and the most versatile ship among the menace-class.

Lady luck for you having not 1 but 2 syns at your disposal. I had about 6 non-transmitter space missions and not a single 'lost spaceship' among those.

Yes, enemy zombies take damage from the strix' corpse-explosion.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 09:27:27 pm by Ethereal_Medic »

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2018, 01:33:04 am »
Should the Fuego's Bootypedia image be changed?  As mentioned before, its depiction in space along with how it grants a few space suits could give the impression that it's spaceworthy when it really isn't.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2018, 07:32:24 pm »
Lady luck for you having not 1 but 2 syns at your disposal. I had about 6 non-transmitter space missions and not a single 'lost spaceship' among those. Yes, enemy zombies take damage from the strix' corpse-explosion.

I had 3. But this was probably because it started back in an earlier edition before the disruptive transmissions was introduced. Also I had the option of making alot more before the syn bugfix was applied, but I was self-nerfing because it was just too vicious.

Should the Fuego's Bootypedia image be changed?
I imagine using a blue sky background with it flying overland at a low altitude would work nicely, thats a kinda menacing look for a pristine background. It would need some color adjustments and a little bit of smoothing to remove the color inaccuracies from palette conversion, easily done though.
(space suits are also good for organ grinder missions, somebody has to do that damage to keep them in check, its plausible this former crew was doing just that - no need for flavor text recognition though)

This is a mockup in research palette, its usable and the background is royalty free. I have the photoshop file if its wanted, though this output was achieved with some compositing between two different forms of 8bit conversion.
(it gave me something to do with my saturday morning...)

Offline Shrugger

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2018, 08:50:14 pm »
I'm kinda stupefied by the choice. How relevant will this be for my overall campaign? Is it just a briefly relevant boost, or will it shape my mid, late and end-game?

Offline Zippicus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2018, 10:00:26 pm »
I'm kinda stupefied by the choice. How relevant will this be for my overall campaign? Is it just a briefly relevant boost, or will it shape my mid, late and end-game?

This is one of those questions that if you ask 10 different people you'll probably get 10 different answers.  My advice is to not stress over it too much and just pick that sounds cool and try it out, next game pick a different one, and so on.  The choice mostly affects the mid game but some of the toys each one has available are viable all the way to the end of the game.  How much of an impact the choice makes on your game will vary from player to player.  Sorry, that probably wasn't much help lol.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2018, 05:25:06 am »
Your codex choice affects your early craft options, some midgame weapons and outfits, and some late game armors. Greens probably the most new player friendly overall.

KZad Bhat

« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2018, 11:42:22 am »
This is one of those questions that if you ask 10 different people you'll probably get 10 different answers.

You really think only 10 different answers? The answer count is usually higher than count of people questioned.

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2018, 01:55:22 am »
Greens probably the most new player friendly overall.

A relic from older times, no doubt; didn't the very early versions have the Bonaventura as the starting craft instead of the Airbus?