Author Topic: [Submod] Stuffiez - nice cute things  (Read 7403 times)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: [Submod] Stuffiez - nice cute things
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2022, 06:46:28 pm »
I’m not yet familiar with the OpenXcom scripting. Been hustling with game engines before and planning at some point to get know-hows about viewing maps in battlescape at day and night.

My tileset release only contains files from MCDEdit. I used those in MapView2 to build that presentation with 10x10 mapblocks in mind, assuming that there then will be different possibilities when connecting them to get bigger (random) maps.

I think I could make a script to integrate this kind of tile properly in a semi random fashion... With some limitations (like it'd have to have a set position of x or y axis)... A lot of stuff is possible if you accept limitations (best example is UAC vaults - it's an extremely complex, yet limited script that uses a lot of fixed positions - so what? Player only notices the map is cool, doesn't notice the limitations. Smoke and mirrors is the key to success!)

Offline mikKoi

• Sergeant
  • That's raider country!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2023, 08:12:42 am »
Hello, though Stuffiez have been on and off alive a year now, there haven't been any extra nice reasons to post anything. Been mostly doing the same units’ sprite editing shit all over again, but a while ago I moved mainly to map assets and replaced two polished original terrains which are playable as quick battles named Mountainous/Plains (Dead/Snowy/Tundra). Campaign also uses them at least as globeTexture terrains.

Here’s an example how the submod’s tile sprites affects to the ogs: [SNOWY.webp]
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vLlq24kQSthjpL-Fi4KRHBIecwM2E0Zm/view?usp=share_link

After a couple of new polished Mountainous/Plains terrains, it’s time for a new release. So long!

PS. Tilesheets are made using Piratez’s Cold palette, so PCKs render colors a bit differently (lighter) in mods and tools using vanilla battlescape palette.

<Edit> Zip removed, PCKs are now in XPZ. MCDs + mapblocks just for personal use/testing only.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 02:18:34 am by mikKoi »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2023, 03:45:03 pm »
I really like the new spritesheets, but I don't quite get some of your MCD decisions, like making some rocks invulnerable :)

Offline mikKoi

• Sergeant
  • That's raider country!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2023, 04:48:47 pm »
Great feedback, wonderful :) I don’t fully remember why I left big rocks indestructible, but if I recall right, it was because they didn’t have good deathID choices or smth, and at one very early point I WAS planning a general rock rubble for them, but don’t know what happened to it :P

Yes, of course they should be able to be destroyed. Maybe making them harder than earthy hills (as ogs are) and breaking/vanishing to the most ruined floor available.

PS. There’s still some general MCD functionality which I’m not quite aware of and I’m trying to find out about them mostly via testing.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2023, 05:08:20 pm »
For now I've just pasted the spritesheet over the old MCDs. I only left the circular snow/ice pattern out (kept the old tile) because it looks odd, as you can see below.
New rocks and plants, really beautiful...

Offline mikKoi

• Sergeant
  • That's raider country!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2023, 11:48:55 am »
I updated Mountainous/Plains from here and Stuffiez

- big rocks are destroyable with/by good strength and Pickaxe or Hammer (at least)
- I don’t fully get the sliding movement (snakeman?) so I just gave it +1 TU cost in frozen grass
- snowy ‘fantasy’ floor tile (what Dioxine posted) is changed and used as a small rubble for big rocks
- side and corner rocks are no longer bigWalls (same as ogs)
- minor fixes

<Edit> MCDs aren't anymore/yet downloadable...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 02:20:34 am by mikKoi »