aliens

Author Topic: Cydonia or Bust! Kiri's question thread. Game complete!  (Read 85523 times)

Offline SomeGuy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Getting trashed lol. New question thread
« Reply #165 on: August 16, 2017, 08:37:13 pm »
Weight is the only issue for it. Making most gals go over their strength value unless they have certain armour on or build some of those items that increase carry weight (forgot the name). Useful, but annoying to equip properly without sacrificing something. But I find the gauss muskets pretty effective, low weight, low TU cost and pretty accurate with high damage. But of course you only unlock those much later in the game.

But inbetween the 37mm and gauss, I think I mainly used slugthrowers for more missions. Also high damage, OK range and low TU cost.

Offline KiriKaneko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 16, 2017, 10:10:47 pm »
They're alright, and I have gauss muskets too, but 37mm gets 120 piercing damage, incredible accuracy and can fire twice with snapshots. On the missions I'm doing we take a lot of reaction fire when we shoot so we exclusively wear power armor anyway or we would be dead from all the laser, gauss and plasma fire we take. Since shots can roll very low on damage that means that outside guns that hit multiple time in one shot like shotguns or that can fire multiple times in an action like heavy laser then you are at the mercy of the RNG. I think the only alternative is with camo and stealth, but there are plenty of enemies who see through camo, robots that can see through stealth, and neither is much good when you go indoors and an enemy can potentially come round the corner on their turn and shoot you. Aye phone is ok but short range so when you move up you might put yourself in sprinting range of something. In any case I haven't had any deaths in a very long time and my people are maxed in TU, Str, energy and aim with high reactions and melee so I don't wanna lose them, and I could never have got them this far without power armor I think while still doing such hard missions. Any disadvantages of power armor are pretty much offset by the high stats of my long surviving soldiers

Turns out I didnt need a cyberdisk capture

Offline Marza

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 16, 2017, 10:44:38 pm »
Whilst it is possible to nonlethally stun a cyberdisk, I don't think there's a way to stop it from exploding immediately after.

I haven't played with all the damage types and weapons available in the game, so I don't know for sure. What I do know is that a recipe to disassemble live cyberdisks exists in the game, so maybe there is a way to capture them.

Offline KiriKaneko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 16, 2017, 11:00:25 pm »
Thanks. I was trying to get some research but then it turned out I didn't need it

Does anyone know where I can find a gatling lascannon? I've taken down a lot of big ships but no one seems to use them

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 16, 2017, 11:24:00 pm »
It is possible to capture a cyberdisc, but it's more of a quirk of the engine than an intended feature; the code itself says if a cyberdisc gets knocked unconscious, set its HP to 0 without exploding it.  However, these lines are not run if you manage some stun damage on the disc without knocking it unconscious, then lower its HP below stun by a damage type that prevents the death explosion.

Gatling lascannons? Spend a little more time checking the forum.

Offline Serpentium

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 16, 2017, 11:32:42 pm »
Whilst it is possible to nonlethally stun a cyberdisk, I don't think there's a way to stop it from exploding immediately after.

I haven't played with all the damage types and weapons available in the game, so I don't know for sure. What I do know is that a recipe to disassemble live cyberdisks exists in the game, so maybe there is a way to capture them.

I've gone through with testing damage types against them and... after a few blew up on my face, I found that cutting damage from melee weapons keeps them from exploding. It's real risky, what with them flying most of the time and their reaction fire. Your best bet for killing one without having it blow up (at least in early to mid game) is a Gal with some form of flying armor and a good melee weapon with cutting damage. If you want to be clever, you can have some disposable unit take the reaction fire before you fly in for the stabbing.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 16, 2017, 11:36:41 pm »
The self-destruct doesn't go off when the disc is destroyed by concussive, incediary, cutting, or daze damage (these are the vanilla damage types that don't set off the self destruct), or anything Dioxine has marked to specifically disable it.  Spamming molotovs is surprisingly effective.

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 16, 2017, 11:46:22 pm »
If you're getting lots of reaction fire, I'm guessing that your Gals reactions aren't maxed.

Shooting things down is supposed to raise bravery, though I don't know the formula.

Offline KiriKaneko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 17, 2017, 12:14:55 am »
They're reaction maxed mostly, but the AI usually half moves so when I shoot with 37mm rifle, uses most of TU, and especially if we have opened a door, gone up the ladders to fire, or left the front of the craft to walk around the side and fire, that usually results in reaction fire unless the target has moved or if we get a decent damage roll and instakill

Sorry I should've checked the forum first, thanks for the link!

I found a couple of easy ways to get the cyberdisk in melee range without flying armour when I was trying to KO one

Kill everything on the map and deliberately leave a cyberdisk alive, bug hunt mode activates and allows you to track it and then:

1) Camp inside a building or the landing craft with doors shut and keep checking the map til it's right outside the door, then run out and melee
2) Get inside the enemy craft and wait for it to come in, then jump out and chop it to pieces

I remember getting a wreck with the shoulder cannon in the previous version, but melee should be easy enough if you bait it in. Harbinger armour is strong enough to take in the region of 10 hits from it if you are ok with the damage it rolls, we were surrounding it for like 10 turns getting shot and bashing it with handles before I decided to kill it

Offline Marza

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 17, 2017, 01:05:15 am »
The self-destruct doesn't go off when the disc is destroyed by concussive, incediary, cutting, or daze damage ...

I could have sworn that daze damage triggered the self destruct, or have I gone mad?

EDIT - Nevermind, I've re read the past few posts. Neat quirk with the engine.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 01:07:06 am by Marza »

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 17, 2017, 02:34:12 am »
Doesn't have to be melee, just has to be of the right damage type.  And there are ranged cutting weapons  :)

Offline Serpentium

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 17, 2017, 05:48:13 am »
Aye, I never thought of using Molotov for them early in the game. It makes sense too, since you can directly hit the cyberdisk, fall back, rinse and repeat. Whenever I manage to get the Death Realms research, I just went with using the arena fireball launchers. I had forgotten all about the humble molotov that you could use real early in the game!  :P

Offline KiriKaneko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 17, 2017, 01:18:49 pm »
What's the best source of sense in the game?

Offline JustTheDude/CABSHEP

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 17, 2017, 04:23:42 pm »
You mean armor that give gals sense? I guess assasin armor give 10 titles sense but I'm not sure. Ayephone give you 9 titles sense but at cost of some AP.

Offline KiriKaneko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 17, 2017, 06:22:32 pm »
Thanks, I'll see about assassin armour. I would've thought there was a voodoo that gave a ton of sense