aliens

Author Topic: [TFTD] [Expansion] TWoTS+ Release (v.2.61)  (Read 676533 times)

Offline MeaslyTpod

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: [TFTD] [Expansion] TWoTS+ Release (v.2.40)
« Reply #1425 on: March 28, 2020, 02:49:47 pm »
Getting live Navigator is pretty annoying sometimes. They're only present on Terror missions, middle or larger USO's.
It's August of the 1st year, and Gas Cannons don't work well against Tasoth at the communication site mission...mmmm.
So Alien Navigators aren't onboard small USOs? I didn't know that, might be in a dire situation, don't know what to do...
Well, I have 1 MC Reader and Moray/Poseidon/Turtle are available but the lack of more powerful weapons is critical.
It seems all I can do is to pray so that a medium USO comes to the vicinity of my HQ.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 02:55:16 pm by MeaslyTpod »

Offline Shiroi Bara

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: March 28, 2020, 03:32:47 pm »
I'm ignoring Artifact sites, this is too hard for me. I know what some people did them even on Superhuman, but not me until I get sonic weapons and MC protected guys. Usually I just land there and only fight first stage if it has Gilman (no MC and terror units on pyramid map) or shark mobs which has Navigator. The last one is dangerous if you get unlucky and Octs spawn with them too. Then I abort, Oct MC is nightmare. Sometimes I try Aquatoids (navigator present) and Tasoth guys, but only if I have turtle to block  the Triton door, so panicked guys  won't leave it easy. Need keep eye and unequip all explosives include disturbance grenades. Weapons on the floor too. Long and patience, but if thing goes bad, tank get destroyer or low health just abort -750 score + score from killed aliens is better than full wipe. Total month score could be nullified doing landed very small (beware they could up and attack you, but now it's easy to detect because of circles), small or medium USO's.  And if you got drills you could melee any aliens who came close to Triton door. Even underwater scout drone without weapon could shoot if you equip gas cannon or whatever you like. Shoot, put weapon down to avoid big time units penalty and repeat. Beware disruptor pulse launcher on medium USOs.

Offline chronocide_commando

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: March 28, 2020, 11:20:00 pm »
I've tried to play this three or four times but have given-up before the end of the first year because of the useless weapons, even on the easiest setting.  Lasers on the surface are ok, but underwater-wise we need better early weapons (and aquanauts that didn't go to the Stormtrooper School of Shooting).
It's OK as long as you use aimed fire. Bursts are for close quarters, snaps are only there for reaction fire.

Offline MeaslyTpod

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: March 29, 2020, 12:36:59 am »
Hmm I rarely use aimed fire as my soldiers need TUs to return to cover.
Oh man, I seriously need a navigator why no medium UFO appears on radar...

Offline Unmadesoldier

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: March 29, 2020, 05:04:55 am »
High explosive jet harpoon bolts? Because I like having a mini hydro-jet cannon HE but without the heavy weight. Also can we have heavy lasers and more human plasma weapons for surface use?

Offline Evil_bl

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: March 29, 2020, 06:23:16 am »
it's pretty useless against Tasoths, Lobsters and Sharks resist them.

You Wrong=) Gauss weapon is good against Tasoths and Sharks. Sharks weakens is HE also. Tasoths just have a lot of HP. Against Lobsters u should use only stun or weapons with melee type damage(Abyssians weapon).

Offline MeaslyTpod

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: March 29, 2020, 09:25:14 am »
Yeap, Gauss Rifle is enough to beat shark people.
The real problem is how to gain access to Gauss weapons.
I still can't see a medium USO.

High explosive jet harpoon bolts? Because I like having a mini hydro-jet cannon HE but without the heavy weight. Also can we have heavy lasers and more human plasma weapons for surface use?
I personally want to suggest giving an incentive to interrogating alien technicians.
While Medics/Navigators/Engineers/Squad Leaders/Commanders grant access to valuable/indispensable technologies or info, Technicians simply reveal USO specs...

Offline Shiroi Bara

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: March 29, 2020, 11:08:39 am »
You Wrong=)
Well, all doing mistakes, include me. I'm not pro player. Haven't check USOpedia for long time, about aliens weaknesses. I just remember how once I can't get live navigator for long time and finally obtain him as enhanced guy, who which unlocks Navigator+ research line too. Jeez... as soon as interrogated him my project tree goes crazy so many things to do... So for all who has no luck with this rank - try just survive and you will be rewarded later. Missing it delay the progress but getting it dramatically increase it like an avalanche.

Offline chronocide_commando

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: March 29, 2020, 02:05:18 pm »
Hmm I rarely use aimed fire as my soldiers need TUs to return to cover.
As long as you fight at long range you're not that likely to get hit even without cover. And hard suits make your guys likely to survive at least one hit, so the risk is more than acceptable. Closing the distance seems to reduce your advantage, at least in early game.

Offline Shiroi Bara

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: March 29, 2020, 02:08:15 pm »
By the way, checked USOpedia for Carcharodons - 90% weak to acid and smoke and only 50% to armor piercing.

Offline MeaslyTpod

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: March 30, 2020, 04:09:45 pm »
It's September of the first year and still no navigator yet somehow no country dropped so far.
The problem is that just waiting for a navigator isn't that fun...storage is filled with various components, most available research topics are done, avoid communication site missions...

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: March 30, 2020, 05:44:57 pm »
Erm... you can not acquire valuable results by avoiding complicate missions. It is a rule number 1. Equip explosives, smoke grenades and torpedo launchers, take vibro blades or at least hooks and go get some seafood. If  you will fear anything, invasion will not spare you.

Offline Shiroi Bara

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: March 30, 2020, 07:37:39 pm »
Erm... you can not acquire valuable results by avoiding complicate missions. It is a rule number 1. Equip explosives, smoke grenades and torpedo launchers, take vibro blades or at least hooks and go get some seafood. If  you will fear anything, invasion will not spare you.
With all my respect Nord, but people can play this game how they want. Some people prefer may be coward but safe strategy. Better play safe than rash things. And question regarding Carcharodons: on superhuman my trained soldiers with aimed shot sometimes produce 0 damage with acid ammo. This fact confuse me. Why? 10% resistance? Or 50% piercing working first - I mean you need penetrate armor first and only after acid deals the damage? Any comments how it works?

Offline Bobit

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: March 30, 2020, 08:34:23 pm »
Shiroi, 50% armor piercing just means enemy armor is reduced by 50%, not that 50% of damage ignores armor.

E.g. 20 armor vs 5 damage. 5 -(20/2) = -5 = 0 damage.

Resists apply before armor.

This isn't really specific to the mod.

Offline Shiroi Bara

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: March 30, 2020, 09:00:04 pm »
Thanks for fast reply but now I totally lost, what those stats means? I'm talking about weakness:

What weapon type will deal best damage to them?