Author Topic: The Endless war, A total conversion for Openxcom.  (Read 81774 times)

Offline alinare

• Colonel
    • View Profile
The Endless war, A total conversion for Openxcom.
« on: April 05, 2017, 08:39:58 pm »
Hello everyone:
During these years, since 2015, to be exact, I have followed the projects and the wonders of this page. I remained and remained, literally fascinated, by the works of great geniuses, like Dioxine, Solarius Scorch, and some more. I have felt, I think, that he is envious of his creations, so, I, I proposed to do something, that was a tribute to his work, and one of the best strategy games, in my opinion, of all time, xcom Enemy unknown. The endless war, is a total conversion, of the game, or rather, I would say, a reimagination. The mod follows a similar line of argument, that of the original, although the war against the aliens has lengthened too much. Many innocent people are dead, and the war is going on too long. XCOM has had several commanders, who have not known, or have not been able to achieve a victory over the invader. The game starts with the arrival of a new commander, who must turn the tables. Otherwise, you will be forced to resign, losing the game. I'm not going to reveal much more, because I prefer the player to discover it for himself. First of all, point out some things:
- Aircraft, weapons, and aircraft statistics may not be correct or overdone. I am not an expert on these issues.
- I have taken sprites and materials from other mods, such as UFOs, maps or weapons, since I am not good at performing them. I tried to create maps, but I did not get any acceptable results. Anyone who has seen my mod, of the Mongorn race, will know what I am talking about. Opportunism? No, at least it was not my intention, but if someone feels offended, I will apologize, and I will withdraw the mod, if necessary. I do not think I would have been able to adequately reflect the complexity and magnificence of the great ships of the enemy.
- This mod, is influenced and inspired by Piratez of Dioxine. Since I played with this mod wonder, I told myself I had to create something, even if the result was mixed and uncertain.
- I started working on the Endless War, on September 15, 2015. Every day I add something new. For now, the mod is playable and should be able to reach the end. I say should, because I have not tried yet. Working on the mod is absorbent, so I am more time expanding it than trying it.
- All the unpublished material I have included, can be freely used in other mods, so for me, at least. The structure of the mod is in folders, because that way I work better, and it facilitates me a lot, the search for a certain material. There are so many because I have not stopped working on it ever since.
"There are references to Piratez, and to other myths of popular culture.
- Each mod has been individually tested and compatible with each other. Everything should work smoothly. As far as I've tested it, there are none.
- There is material belonging to Piratez, and other mods that have not had continuity, like Xeno Operations, The war of the shadows. I insist that if someone believes that I violate something, I will withdraw the mod, and I will apologize publicly. My intention was not to plagiarize or take advantage of the work of the authors. Only add elements, which I found remarkable and that my imperfection, I do not allow me to create them. There are references to other games in the xcom series.
My level of English is not very fluid, let's say. In fact, I am Spanish-speaking. Why in English, then? I believe that this way I can reach more people, said with all humility and modesty. I have taken care of the texts and the grammar, as far as my knowledge of this language has allowed me.
I plan, if The endless war is welcomed, make updates and continue to expand. I am open to suggestions.
If someone recognizes your work in my mod, I will quote you without problems, to recognize the authorship of your material.
This mod is created by pure hobby and fun pursuit. In fact, I spend it better, expanding and adding new things, than playing it.
I do not put photos. I prefer you to discover the ins and outs of The Endless War, on your own.
If it looks like a penny or too boring and complicated, tell me. I can fit the criticisms and accept them. Really.
Do not deactivate any mod, as this could create gaps in the game. Leave it by default, as it is. To a greater or lesser extent, all mods are related to each other. Logically, everyone, is free to do what he prefers.
Research and the technological tree are complicated and convoluted. I wanted from the first moment, that the Endless war was as complex and challenging as possible.
If someone analyzes the structure of the Endless War, you may find it chaotic. In fact, at first, I had a hard time understanding and deciphering the mechanics of creating mods. I give sincere thanks to Meridian for his infinite patience with me, by disturbing him with so many doubts. Also to Dioxine, to include the armored car, in its mod. And to Solarius, to use the Mongorn in the X-Files.
- Sometimes, when a soldier, or civilian, dies the sound of a saw. I still have not managed to solve it. I included an entry in the Ufopedia to hide it a little. The characters can get to shout, on some maps. It is not intentional.
I do not think he left me anything. The Endless War is dedicated to Dioxine, Meridian and all of you. Enjoy it.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zvp549fxlio1nsn/The+endless+war.rar

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: The Endless war, A total conversion for Openxcom.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 10:50:40 pm »
I for one say that you can use every resource and piece of lore from Piratez freely. I did exactly the same with games and mods which came before me, so I can only freely offer everything back. I am eager to to check out your mysterious mod. I won't judge it, though, I'm not that very fervent player - not as much as I would like to.

EDIT: You forgot to add your TERRAIN, MAPS and ROUTES databases (in your case, into /common directory) causing most missions to crash on load. There are also errors in pedia for some aircraft and aircraft weapons (resources missing or misplaced), causing them to crash.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 05:53:23 am by Dioxine »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 06:32:28 pm »
I haven't played it yet, but the amassed resources are mind-blowing...

Actually I already stole one to be used in some of my project: the Scorpoid. I improved it a little and added a (poorly made) bigob, see attached. :)

EDIT: And inventory/ufopaedia!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 06:50:07 pm by Solarius Scorch »

niculinux

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 03:04:40 pm »
Some screenshots here, hell it seems very very inriguing with a brand new animated intro!  And with a brand new soundtrack!!

« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 03:23:11 pm by niculinux »

niculinux

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 02:51:54 pm »
EDIT: You forgot to add your TERRAIN, MAPS and ROUTES databases (in your case, into /common directory) causing most missions to crash on load. There are also errors in pedia for some aircraft and aircraft weapons (resources missing or misplaced), causing them to crash.

@alinae: hope you gonna fix that. :)

Offline alinare

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 12:07:43 am »
Hello:

I'm going to upload a new version, with much more content. I have solved most of the errors and the mod seems to be fine. From here to tomorrow will be.

--- posts merged ---

Hello:
I just uploaded a new version of the Endless War. I have included new enemies, investigations and corrected errors. I do not put a change ratio, because it would be too long. Who prefers to see all the changes, can do it in the generator of battles, entering the Ufopaedia. I keep making changes and looking for errors. Very soon there will be another version.
Greetings to all.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/pytqmrmc34y54v2/The_endless_war.rar
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 08:51:33 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline efrenespartano

• Commander
  • I know a lot about the law and other lawyerings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 04:22:41 am »
Vale, lo escribiré en español porque tú hablas en español.  :D

¡Qué tal, alinare!
Es un gusto muy grande encontrar trabajos tan dedicados como este, sobre todo si es de personas hispanohablantes. Muero de ganas de probar tu trabajo, se ve que le pusiste todas las ganas del mundo.
Espero que incluya montones y montones de aviones y armas para combate aéreo, es de mis partes favoritas del juego. ¡Entre más aviones y misiles mejor!
¡Sigue con el buen trabajo! Saludos desde México.

Now in english  ;D

Hello, alinare!
It is a great pleasure to find works as dedicated as this, especially if it is Spanish speaking people. I can't wait to try your mod, It looks like you put all of your dedication to make it.
I hope it includes lots and lots of aircrafts and weapons for aerial combat, it's my favorite parts of the game. More aircraft and more missiles it's better!
Keep up the good work!

Offline LuigiWhatif

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 08:08:18 am »
I downloaded it and there are still a few issues.  Several UFOpedia entries still crash.  I got crashes like the following when viewing aircraft weapons.  I first got it when I hit the naval gun entry, and after a few restarts it seems pretty common in the following entries.  During this I noticed that you forgot to delete some of your saves.  Also a few typos I quickly noticed: there are a few spots where you use the word 'game' when I assume you meant 'plane' and you also go back and forth between spelling 'recent' correctly and incorrectly in the lore entry titles (examples included) .

Offline alinare

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 08:16:44 pm »
Hello:
I have uploaded a new version. Now I should go with no problems. And apologies for the inconvenience.  :D The savegames are tests I have done previously, and may not work because there have been many changes. I should have taken them away, no doubt.

https://www.mediafire.com/?pytqmrmc34y54v2
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 08:18:20 pm by alinare »

Offline LuigiWhatif

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 12:43:33 am »
Thanks for the fix.  I'm interested to see what's in here.  By the way, it seems you forgot to remove the UFO folder assets when you uploaded.  There's also a second OXCE+ application included.

Offline alinare

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 05:15:51 pm »
Hello:
New version with more content, new races and more things.
Greetings.

https://www.mediafire.com/?lag5dlaktlvbe2a

Offline Yataka Shimaoka

• Colonel
  • I'm the trouble maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2017, 06:13:26 pm »
Hello! Alinare, I would like to know why your mod requires a lot of exe and many root folders? Why not, say, make a simple ruleset and organize the folder if the resources? Don't take this as a suggestion, just a question.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2017, 06:27:52 pm »
Hello! Alinare, I would like to know why your mod requires a lot of exe and many root folders? Why not, say, make a simple ruleset and organize the folder if the resources? Don't take this as a suggestion, just a question.

Oooooohhhh boooooyyyyy... :D

(Everybody thought that, but it took the youngest to actually say it)

Offline Yataka Shimaoka

• Colonel
  • I'm the trouble maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2017, 08:07:45 pm »
Uh, what do you mean me being the youngest?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2017, 08:11:27 pm »
Uh, what do you mean me being the youngest?

Number of posts, for example. :)

Anyway, yeah, this mod is huge and we have to live with it. I'll gladly live with it, because it is so rich in resources!