Author Topic: To Modders: list of Terrain Pack original assets to remove from their mods  (Read 4520 times)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
As posted elsewhere, as an author, I've decided that my original work/files in the Terrain Pack, Area 51 and other mods cannot be used anymore by other modders on their own mods.

This applies to any mods that publish new versions after today - you're not required to remove any previous versions that have been already published.

Any unauthorized use of my work will be properly notified and reported, if necessary.

To help modders know what they need to remove here's a list of authorship the Terrain Pack content, and what I'll keep (because I'm the author or I have permission from the authors) and what I'll remove (because I have no authorization to use).

Units
* All units will be removed from the Terrain Pack, mainly civilians. Later, I may ask the authors of specific units for permission to reinclude them again in the TP.

Geoscape
* Improvedglobe - this file was made specifically by me for the terrain pack from the original, which the TP got permission to use. It contains several changes that I introduced. Thus, you can use the original file if you have permission from the author, but use of this specific modified file is not allowed.

Terrains
***Author: Hobbes***
- ALIENCOLONY
- ALIENHIVE
- AREA51HQ
- AREA51HWPFACTORY
- AREA51SKYRANGERFACTORY
- AREA51URBAN
- BIOLABURBAN
- CULTAFARMA + CULTAFARMB
- COMPLEXURBAN
- COMRCURBAN
- DAWNURBANA
- DAWNURBANB
- DESERTMOUNT
- DESERTPLANE
- DESERTTEMPLE
- FORESTMOUNT
- FORESTPOLAR
- GRASSLANDDESERT
- GRASSLANDDESERTMOUNT
- GRASSLANDFOREST
- GRASSLANDFORESTMOUNT
- GRASSLANDPOLAR
- JUNGLEMOUNT
- JUNGLEPOLAR
- JUNGLETEMPLE
- MADURBAN
- MADURBANUFO
- NATIVEURBAN
- NATIVEUFO
- POLARDESERT
- POLARDESERTMOUNT
- POLARMOUNT
- POLARPLANE
- POLISURBAN
- PORTCARGOSHIP
- PORTLINERSHIP
- PORTURBAN
- PORTINDUSTRIALURBAN
- RAILYARDURBAN
- SAVANNADESERT
- SAVANNADESERTMOUNT
- SAVANNAFOREST
- SAVANNAFORESTMOUNT
- SAVANNAPOLAR
- SIBERIA
- SLUMURBAN
- STEPPEDESERT
- STEPPEDESERTMOUNT
- STEPPEFOREST
- STEPPEFORESTMOUNT
- STEPPEPOLAR
- TAIGADESERT
- TAIGADESERTMOUNT
- TAIGAFOREST
- TAIGAFORESTMOUNT
- TAIGAPOLAR
- TUNDRADESERT
- TUNDRADESERTMOUNT
- TUNDRAFOREST
- TUNDRAFORESTMOUNT
- TUNDRAMOUNT
- TUNDRAPOLAR
- TUNDRAPLANE
- UBASE_REDUX

Keep In Mind
* You'll have to remove all of these terrains.
* This includes all the original .MCD, .PCK., .TAB, .MAP and .RMP and other files made by me as the author.
* It also includes any other versions of these terrains present in Area 51 and Tech-Comm.
* Any modifications or derivative works made to the original files by modders are not authorized by me as an author and need to be removed.
* If you have previously contributed with any assets to those terrains, and you want to revoke your permission for me to use them, please notify me.

The following terrains and files were nearly all made by UFO2000 authors, which gave me permission to use them.
- COLDISLE
- DOWNTOWNURBAN
- INDUSTRIALUFO
- INDUSTRIALURBAN
- NKF_APC
- STORMMOUNTAIN
Since I extensively converted them for use in OpenXCom, I also do not give permission for the original work I added to them (all the .RMP files for instance) to be used in other mods. If you ask permission to their authors, you may use these terrains in your mod but only the original terrain files, since you may not use the files I created originally for them to be used in OpenXCom.

I'll also be removing all non-original or unauthorized content from Area 51 and Tech-Comm, following the above guidelines.

If you have any questions or need more guidance, just ask.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: To Modders: list of Terrain Pack original assets to remove from their mods
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 07:28:18 am »
Tomorrow I'll be uploading the new version of the Terrain Pack, without any civilian units included and only including the terrains designed specifically by me or others to be a part of the pack.

I've already been going through a few mods terrain.rul definitions and for those who have created subterrains derived from those in the pack, I will later provide indications on how to tweak the .rul to adjust to the new system, so that you can continue using those subterrains as before, and without needing to include all the terrain files in your mods. If you can post your mod's terrain.rul files it would be very helpful.

I've also removed from the pack several terrains designed by me specifically for Area 51 and I'll provide a separate list for those so that modders can remove any files derived from my originals. I will afterwards start a major overhaul of Area 51 to remove all unauthorized third party content. Any of the Area 51 terrain files, and any derived files made by modders, have to be removed the same way as those of the Terrain Pack. 
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 07:48:10 am by Hobbes »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Hey all,

The Terrain Pack has been updated to 4.3, with the removal of all the assets that were not allowed anymore by its authors.
https://openxcom.mod.io/terrain-pack

The .zip now includes a TERRAIN_PACK_CREDITS.txt that contains all the relevant info concerning credits and permissions of the assets of the Terrain Pack.

There were a number of terrains that were removed because of permissions.
* ALIENCOLONY
* ALIENHIVE, a.k.a HIVE
* AREA51, and all derived terrains associated, such as AREA51BASE, AREA51RAID, AREA51HQ, AREA51HWPFACTORY, AREA51SKYRANGERFACTORY and AREA51URBAN
* BIOLAB and BIOLABURBAN
* COMPLEX and COMPLEXURBAN
* COMRCURBAN
* POLIS and POLISURBAN
* SIBERIA
* SLUM and SLUMURBAN

Usage of the assets created for these terrains, or any other terrains I originally created for my Area 51/TechComm mods, is not allowed in other mods and they'll need to be removed. And this also means modifications or derivative works made to my original files by modders are not authorized by me as the author and need to be removed.