Author Topic: A thread for little questions  (Read 1033321 times)

Offline Delian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: A thread for little questions
« Reply #2460 on: September 26, 2020, 06:33:28 pm »
Two questions:
1. How is an enemy able to shoot me from 40+ tiles away when they have only 9 night vision? I've attached a sav file where you can click an End Turn for demonstration.

2. How does the game determine which enemy is a sniper?

Offline Greep

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: September 26, 2020, 10:34:48 pm »
#2 is the answer to #1.  Snipers just use the same abilities you have (your units can fire out of LoS to spotted enemies).  Well kind of, the cheaty aspect is your position can linger for a bit (that's what spotter X turns is)

As for whether its a sniper, it's just whether it's programmed to be a sniper, not much to say.
https://www.xpiratez.wtf/en-US##STR_SPARTAN_RIFLEMAN

"Chance of firing on spotted units: 66"

Early game, only ones I know of are osiron security, marsec, humanists (though not activists), leaders/vips, and all spartans.  I just kinda assume all of the year 2+ races are.

I'm curiou what spotter: -1 means.  I'm guessing that just means star gods reveal you forever once seen.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 11:06:07 pm by Greep »

Offline machinehater

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: September 28, 2020, 12:01:28 am »
2 questions:

If i mindcontrol a unit, it becomes part of my team until my next turn, this means, that the enemy will much likely try to kill the mindcontrolled unit (because they are usually next to him/her).

Does this drop the morale of my, or of the enemy squad? Because when the unit dies, in this moment, for the game, it is part of MY squad?

I researched the "sivalinga stone ", but still can't buy it! Does the not unlock the buy option? Or do i have to unlock a certain dealer first?

Offline Greep

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: September 28, 2020, 12:54:24 am »
Unsure about morale thing, but you can't buy sivalinga stones.  It has "tech required" which is for using it in battle, but what you need is "tech required to buy" which the item doesn't have.  At leats you don't lose it on research xD

Offline machinehater

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: September 28, 2020, 02:24:32 am »
so the [i ] does not mean that i can buy the thing, but that i can use it? I was always wrong then :-D
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 10:24:09 pm by machinehater »

Offline Delian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: October 01, 2020, 07:52:11 pm »
Question: Is there a way to see which tiles count as day, and which ones count as night? Does there exist a mod that would help with this?

Offline Greep

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: October 02, 2020, 12:43:51 am »
so the [i ] does not mean that i can buy the thing, but that i can use it? I was always wrong then :-D

Ah, I missed the "i" part because of the italics xD  Honestly, the "I" in the in game tech viewer confuses me because over 99% of the time it DOES reference whether you can buy it or not, but like for 2 or 3 things it's not the case (energy weapon parts, e.g. don't seem to be buyable but have an I for instance).  So I just check the web pedia  ::)

I think how it works is that if it's buyable, the [ i ] refers to the techs needed to buy, and if not, it refers to the tech required to use.  But it's confusing since almost all useable things are buyable.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 12:49:57 am by Greep »

Offline machinehater

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: October 04, 2020, 12:57:31 pm »
I managed to raid a mercenary-base and to capture some important dudes. But X-Vampiress got shot.
She was NOT destroyed, mangled x-vampiress was laying on the floor.

When the mission endet, the mangled x-vampiress was not retrieved, now i can't revive her.
Is this some kind of bug/error?
Did i misunderstood something?

If not, what's the item name, so i can add it to the inventory in the savegame.

Offline ZoA

• Captain
  • Please don't go. The drones need you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: October 04, 2020, 10:58:27 pm »
IS there any lore or balance reason why Armored Vaults don't require Flak Tower Kit while Large Prison and Flak Tower require it.

All those buildings have image of small turret on their icon, and provide defense bonus to base, but for some reason Armored Vaults don't require Flak Tower Kit like other two buildings. Is this perhaps an oversight?

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: October 07, 2020, 03:10:32 am »
I managed to raid a mercenary-base and to capture some important dudes. But X-Vampiress got shot.
She was NOT destroyed, mangled x-vampiress was laying on the floor.

When the mission endet, the mangled x-vampiress was not retrieved, now i can't revive her.
Is this some kind of bug/error?
Did i misunderstood something?

If not, what's the item name, so i can add it to the inventory in the savegame.

Did the corpse actually last till the end of the battle? Corpse can be rather easily destroyed by stray fire or aoe.

IS there any lore or balance reason why Armored Vaults don't require Flak Tower Kit while Large Prison and Flak Tower require it.

All those buildings have image of small turret on their icon, and provide defense bonus to base, but for some reason Armored Vaults don't require Flak Tower Kit like other two buildings. Is this perhaps an oversight?

Possibly but i will point out that defense strength of the armored vaults is higher then the other two so its not exactly the same gun.

Offline machinehater

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: October 08, 2020, 05:12:36 pm »
The mangled x-vampiress did last until the last turn, i checked it. There was also no fire an other harm.
I found out the item name, but i failed in adding it to the save. I replayed the mission, instead.

Offline Alex the KatanaCutlass

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: October 09, 2020, 02:57:31 am »
Thank you all!
So, how do YOU all deal with sectopods?

APK - armor piercing lasers  - maybe the best kind o' weps around.

Offline machinehater

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: October 09, 2020, 11:17:03 am »
Are apk's better than gauss weapons? I finally unlocked them and they are great. Still did not see any sectopod around since then, so i could not try yet.

To unlock the aps's i need only marsec lasgun. Where do i find them? I already shot down viper fighters with the tough red marsec guys, still no luck.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: October 09, 2020, 03:19:31 pm »
Apk is generally better then guass. Laser is generally a less resisted type. Also 50% armor penetration is much better then many piercing or explosive options.

Offline arbee81

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: October 10, 2020, 02:47:36 am »
I just did a little checking.  Sectopod front plate is 150, and gauss weapons do 50-150% for damage, so heavy gauss can't pierce it.  Sniper gauss on a very shooty gal has a chance to.  Sides and back are lower, but not by much.  135 and 110, respectively.  But first you have to get past their shields, which are blue and take 25% damage from pierce.

If I'm understanding the pedia entry for blue shields, then lasers do 100% damage to them, and lasers do 0-200% for damage, so some of the beefier lasers can damage them even without their natural armor pierce bonus, and even more so with the higher damage and increased armor penetration of the AP clips.  So AP lasers, or even adv clips seem like a good goto for sectopods.  Assuming running isn't an option, of course    ;D

Also, the marsec marines do carry the marsec lasguns, it's just not a guarantee.  I think I got one on my 3rd viper fighter