aliens

Author Topic: A thread for little questions  (Read 1033579 times)

Offline machinehater

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: A thread for little questions
« Reply #2430 on: September 02, 2020, 10:12:13 pm »
Thank you all!
So, how do YOU all deal with sectopods?

And what about shields (with various colours)?

Do they diminish everytime i hit the target, or do they block, until a certain dmg, the attack completely.

And, if they diminish, do they recharge?

Offline Greep

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: September 02, 2020, 10:47:36 pm »
I've got restartitis, so I usually start a new game/codex before sectopods lol.  But looking at their page, they've got the hardest shield to deal with:

https://www.xpiratez.wtf/en-US##STR_SHIELDS_BLUE

Looks like if you don't melee them, laser/plasma gatling/scatterguns (fatty/splatty?) are the way to go to drop shields.  I assume melee is the best all around, but you'd need one heluva weapon.

Regarding shield info, this should answer most of it.  Experience seems to suggest that melee ignores them, but I might've gotten lucky:

https://www.xpiratez.wtf/en-US##STR_SHIELDS_1
https://www.xpiratez.wtf/en-US##STR_SHIELDS_RED
https://www.xpiratez.wtf/en-US##STR_SHIELDS_BLUE
https://www.xpiratez.wtf/en-US##STR_SHIELDS_GOLD
https://www.xpiratez.wtf/en-US##STR_SHIELDS_PURPLE
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 11:05:28 pm by Greep »

Offline Ashghan

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: September 02, 2020, 11:19:04 pm »
Depends on the shields.
They diminish. Say a Sectopod has 100 shields, you hit it with two 80dmg attacks. First one is fully absorbed by the shield, second one is reduced by the 20 remaining points of the shield. The rest of the damage (60pts in this case) goes on to normal damage calculations.

The colour of the shield defines the weaknesses and resists of a given shield. Damage can be divided (in case of resistance) or multiplied (in case of weakness), by a given amount to get a final reduction of shield points. Some damage types can completely bypass some shield types. Read the Bootypedia articles regarding specific colors for more info.

Most of the shield recharge by a fixed number of points. Usually the syntax is Shield:100/20 (blue) [power/regen (type)] or similar. And IIRC regen happens every half-turn so a shield recharges on the beginning of your turn *and* enemy turn. Sometimes the shield does not recharge at all - you get a fixed amount of points and then it's bye bye. Some shields even degenerate each turn (I think only the handheld energy shield has that functionality though).

Sectopods - if they're in the open: for shields: explosives , and then usually MAG rockets, portable lascannon or (if I reached that far) Xplasma destroyer (or plasma scorcher). In closed spaces - slashing/plasma melee all the way (+Ghost Dagger is extremely deadly once you break through shields) or plasma blunderbuss for shields and then melee. Forget any kinetic (piercing) weapons due to blue shield resistance. Same goes for using concussive melee (hammer and great club) against shields.

Offline machinehater

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: September 02, 2020, 11:23:11 pm »
thank you! You guys are great

And here comes the next question (sorry, guys):

I wantet to invest space and a lot of money to make faster progress at research.
But only one personal lab per hideout is possible to build, and it needs the old earth lab, wich i can not build in another hideout.
Is there any way to make more lab space, and i mean, not only for 3, 4 brainers, but 20?

Offline JustTheDude/CABSHEP

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: September 03, 2020, 12:20:50 am »
There is an old earth lab equivalent somewhere locked in research, probably after higher studies topic so mid to late game anyway. There are also other buildings that add space for one, or couple of brainers like library, medbay and such.

At some point, you just can't invest a lot of money and space into research, because its counter-productive. Mainly due to fact that you will run out of the research topics, wasting a lot and not really gaining much. Just have as much brainers as you can, but don't go into extreme and you will be fine.

Offline Greep

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: September 03, 2020, 12:47:34 am »
Studies are what get you lots of brainers.  If you take a look at the required buildings, it's a fair amount.  I'd say it's a good idea to make one extra base with studies at some point, but no more than one probably.

https://www.xpiratez.wtf/en-US##STR_STUDY_ROOM

That said, you need at least 15M+ monthly profits before it's worth going for.  Each study only gets you 2 brainer space, so 20 brainers will cost you about 15 million just to hire.  Until then, make do with mess halls etc

You'll need 3 surgery units for the surgeyr room, so I hope you like doing ghoul towns xD

(Also, it's probably not intended, but once you have a base set up for study rooms, you can sell your old earth lab to buy 10 studies for more brainer space heh.  Though you'll miss out on some lab/computer tech until you build one, which I don't think is critical, though

Actually you give up data mining, probably not so smart)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 01:31:00 am by Greep »

Offline Yglorba

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: September 09, 2020, 10:11:04 am »
Sectopods - if they're in the open: for shields: explosives , and then usually MAG rockets, portable lascannon or (if I reached that far) Xplasma destroyer (or plasma scorcher). In closed spaces - slashing/plasma melee all the way (+Ghost Dagger is extremely deadly once you break through shields) or plasma blunderbuss for shields and then melee. Forget any kinetic (piercing) weapons due to blue shield resistance. Same goes for using concussive melee (hammer and great club) against shields.
Magic Cards are also highly effective against Sectopods, at least when used by someone with sky-high Thrown.  100% damage to shields, 100% damage to the Sectopod.  Of course you'll want well over 100 Thrown to beat their armor, but that's doable for someone who is all-in on it and wearing an armor with a hefty Thrown bonus.

Even if you can't beat their armor with cards, they're very good at popping their shields.  If the armor is a problem you can go with Card -> Ghost Dagger, I guess.

(Also, it's probably not intended, but once you have a base set up for study rooms, you can sell your old earth lab to buy 10 studies for more brainer space heh.  Though you'll miss out on some lab/computer tech until you build one, which I don't think is critical, though

Actually you give up data mining, probably not so smart)
That's a completely terrible idea.  In addition to the Old Earth Lab itself (12 Brainers) you'd be immediately giving up your Personal Labs (4 Brainers) plus three Data Centres (4 Brainers each, so another 12 Brainers)...  so you're giving up 28 Brainers at the cost 5 buildings in order to have 20 Brainers at the cost of 10 buildings.  How is that even remotely a benefit?

On top of this, many research items and jobs require a computer, and it will be a long time until you can get one, yes.  And even when you do, your research will still be crippled in the long term - you will never be able to get back the 12 brainers for one structure advantage, so eventually you will fill all 8 hideouts and be left with strictly worse research or significantly less space forever.

Worst of all, though, the Lab functionality is extremely hard to replace.  You won't be able to take apart computers or build Fairy Dragons (which are very powerful) until / unless you get the labs from various questlines, which often don't complete until near the end of the game, and even then there's a hard limit on the number you can get.

Sacrificing all of that for an early-game cash infusion that won't even significantly increase your research in the short term and will almost immediately cripple it is just really, really bad.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 10:32:30 am by Yglorba »

Offline Greep

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: September 09, 2020, 10:43:04 am »
Well, I immediately said it was a terrible idea afterwards lol.  But I wouldn't include the data centres, those are pretty end game, so you'd definitely at least get more brainers.  Probably would increase your odds of surviving since you can only really lose in the beginning but it would be a serious PITA.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 10:49:11 am by Greep »

Offline magitsu

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: September 10, 2020, 06:50:58 pm »
When do you go for 2nd base? Is it due to availability of money or for example after 3 extractors?
What do you seek from it initially? Just more detection, or also intercept/soldiers. Or already plan for those buildings that you can get only x per base?

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: September 10, 2020, 09:39:58 pm »
I ascribe to getting bases started as quickly as possible, the nature of retaliation design means you want to get multiple bases built quickly before the really challenging attacks start. You have 18 months with a +/- modifier for difficulty. After that your trying to establish bases against full faction attackers which means you need substantial garrisons or significant air defense both of which take time to build.

Even if your not useing a base to its fullest potential just building plantations pays for itself rapidly(plantation pays itself off in 3 months). Just getting the "shell" of outpost/radar/plantations gives you more opportunities for encounters and income.

It's the snowball principle investing small early has more total impact then investing alot later.

Also with terror hack events you don't exactly want to sit on a large bank.

Offline ZoA

• Captain
  • Please don't go. The drones need you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: September 13, 2020, 11:19:04 pm »
Can anyone give me advice how is one supposed to use Arcane Ray onboard of Jellyfish? I give it to best voodoo gal on the ship, but she is imprisoned on top and I can't find a way to get missile out of the ship to actually hit something.

Offline Greep

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: September 14, 2020, 12:41:32 am »
Well it's got 7 waypoints.  Can't remember what the control for that is, though.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: September 14, 2020, 04:34:52 am »
Can anyone give me advice how is one supposed to use Arcane Ray onboard of Jellyfish? I give it to best voodoo gal on the ship, but she is imprisoned on top and I can't find a way to get missile out of the ship to actually hit something.

There is a window(really a very tiny door) in the lower right wall you need to open. face the wall and right click. use way-points from there.

Offline ZoA

• Captain
  • Please don't go. The drones need you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: September 14, 2020, 06:04:06 pm »
There is a window(really a very tiny door) in the lower right wall you need to open. face the wall and right click. use way-points from there.

Thanks. Did not notice that door at all.   :)

Offline Greep

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: September 16, 2020, 11:27:15 am »
Is there some hidden areas in the armored gnomes lair?  Killed everyone I can find, but everyone's lost all their freshness/morale looking for.  Had to basically leave half my crew to die since they thought it was a good idea to keep panicking and walk into the sewers.  A bit too late to try and pickaxe the walls.  At least I captured the gnome I guess.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 11:48:51 am by Greep »