aliens

Author Topic: A thread for little questions  (Read 1033393 times)

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: A thread for little questions
« Reply #1650 on: May 19, 2019, 12:47:40 pm »

Questions:
- Can I, as a Red Coder, make a Flame Cannon?
- How good are the Airballs?
- Any better Heavy than the Naval Guns? Laser? Plasma? Tesla? An inexhaustible one..? Or a Sonic oscillator?

1: I actually don't know, but I don't think so
2: bad
3: yes, among the better guns is a gatling laser with 500 ammo

Offline Eddie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: May 19, 2019, 05:49:15 pm »
- Can I, as a Red Coder, make a Flame Cannon?
- How good are the Airballs?
- Any better Heavy than the Naval Guns? Laser? Plasma? Tesla? An inexhaustible one..? Or a Sonic oscillator?

This list here is a bit outdated, but it is good enough to give you an idea of what's out there:
https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Vessel_Armaments_(Piratez)

Flame cannon is exclusive to the gold codex. It's closely related to the better plasma beam, which everyone can get. You wouln't want to build a flame cannon anyway, as you need the very rare shadow orbs to build them which are better used for other things.

Airballs are the equivalent to good looking rocks. You use them if you have nothing else, but you stop using them as soon as you have anything else.

Offline Greep

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: May 20, 2019, 08:34:00 am »
Hard numbers:

50 damage
10 km range
40% accuracy
60s reload
4 rounds (6 for missile launcher version)

Pretty nice on an airspeeder for taking down civilians.

Offline Alex the KatanaCutlass

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: May 20, 2019, 12:17:11 pm »
1st thingies 1st, TYVM to all I didn't thank and who helped me.
ATTN Eddie:
TYVM and ROFL (the rocks thing)
ATTN Greep:
Hard numbers - for what? Flame Cannon?
Well, am a warrior, and Dioxine and Co. are taking this warrior buzz seriously - Dr. Wang's Emporium -  OMShotgunG, these ARE SO YUMMYYYY:) WEEE-HEEE!!!
No, I ain't no gun gut - just an ultra gun nut:)
So, I got the D.C. Mortars in service finally and - THEY ROOOCK, YEA!! OMNuclearG, do ya use them bamy/mini nukes?
Quite cool when facing a strong enemy. Ya just carpet-mortar the edges of POS and pronto - a cyber disc goes kaboom somewhere behind a goat's ass. Ya just gotto have guts and attack them supply ships. Yea, they HAVE the D.C.s so gunsmoke wut? I got shot with those and I tell ya - if ya ppl are inside Metallo - one biiig nuthin 'appens. Just a gigantic napalm cover of half of the battlefield.

So, how do ya deal with them SUPPLY SHIPS? (APPROACH FOR CHURCH/ACCADEMY), using a Metallo - Guess it's the same for other Menace ships, dunno.

Again, I provide this kind o' stuff with good will and without any weird intention, so interested ppl, pls attention.

- Before ya fly into action, get 2 Armored Car (AC ) with HMG into yer crew. These can take out a Cyber Disc w/ probs, or a fartbag, or a Chryssalid. Also, have some (2-4) of your crew wear something they can fly in.
THINK - who ya gonna face? lasers don't do crap against the Church Zealots. And if they have D.C.s...
- If the right leg of the supply ship is intact, ya got 16 turns b4 it blows - that leg, that is. Plenty enough time.
- Ya clear the outside of the ship 1st. Get your AC in action and clear the Battlescape (SLOWLY! Ya not Nikki Lauda). Be ready for savescumming. If you don't use it otherwise (your choice) here you better do. Wait, ya wanna D.C.s? Then just do what it takes to get them. They sell well as well:) Clearing the Battlescape with two ACs takes maybe 5 -7 turns, no  more.
- As soon as safe enough, position your infantry on the roof of your Menace along the edges, facing as necessary - but generally towards the enemy ship, of course. In the meantime, have them gathered on the upper deck, at the stairs, with 2 guys guarding the back entrance, and send them out each turn (use run) to kill something.
-After you see that the enemy is weakened enough, send the hover guys to the upper door of the enemy ship to board it. CAREFUL, don't rush, have them land on the roof part above this entrance 1st, and then, in the next turn, banzai it. Simultaneously, have your infantry board through the lower entrance (same story, take cover behind the corner 1st, blahblah...). Your ACs should be back by then, to cover the entrances if necessary. As soon as the boarding teams are in, Send your ACs back out there, to find possible missed enemies. Ain't believing? Well, I found a Celatid like this yesterday, so...
- Teach the enemy inside that dying on one's feet with their boots on is good for your noses:)
Pronto, e tutto.

A colleague here mentioned using mortars more than once - I believe you think of the D.C.s, right? Niice choice, muchacho:)

NEED HELP: the Academy constantly tries to board one of my bases. So far, I've destroyed all the ships, but they are comming with bigger and weirder ones (last time my AA blew a Boarding Torpedo) and eventually they will land. Which weapons do I get ready for killing them? I have everything thet a warrior on my tech level can have. I guess that Heavy Flamers, CAWSs and Death Blossoms with API would be cool. And my Armored Batallion as well. (6 ACs, 3 tanks). Converting ACs to HMG or MG ones... As for tanks, just not to load grenades... YUP... Plus 15 Bloodhounds and 3 reapers... Mhm... I think that would do. But do they use CYBERDISKS in the base assaults..? You ppl said to use cutting damage if I want the Cyberdisc NOT to blow up. So that would be Bows and melee., maybe some shotguns as well.

Offline Greep

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: May 20, 2019, 12:53:38 pm »
That's for the airballs, flame cannon stats are on the ufopaedia page.

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: May 20, 2019, 01:06:09 pm »
TYVM.
The flame cannon is just that for me - just for stats:)
Am a warrior... I know I would've fared differently if I chose another codex, but the Way of Bang Slash and Kaboom is what I always chose.

Offline Eddie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: May 20, 2019, 04:54:48 pm »
I once tried to shoot down a civie with airballs. I reloaded a few times. It went like this:

miss miss miss... damn, out of ammo

hit, destroyed... damn

miss hit miss... damn, out of ammo again

That was a few versions ago when airballs only had 3 shots. Now they have 4 and the missile version has 6, so that's definately an improvement. Production time was also higher back then. I guess they are an ok weapon now after balancing.

Offline thevideogameraptorboggle

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: May 20, 2019, 08:09:21 pm »
1st thingies 1st, TYVM to all I didn't thank and who helped me.
ATTN Eddie:
TYVM and ROFL (the rocks thing)
ATTN Greep:
Hard numbers - for what? Flame Cannon?
Well, am a warrior, and Dioxine and Co. are taking this warrior buzz seriously - Dr. Wang's Emporium -  OMShotgunG, these ARE SO YUMMYYYY:) WEEE-HEEE!!!
No, I ain't no gun gut - just an ultra gun nut:)
So, I got the D.C. Mortars in service finally and - THEY ROOOCK, YEA!! OMNuclearG, do ya use them bamy/mini nukes?
Quite cool when facing a strong enemy. Ya just carpet-mortar the edges of POS and pronto - a cyber disc goes kaboom somewhere behind a goat's ass. Ya just gotto have guts and attack them supply ships. Yea, they HAVE the D.C.s so gunsmoke wut? I got shot with those and I tell ya - if ya ppl are inside Metallo - one biiig nuthin 'appens. Just a gigantic napalm cover of half of the battlefield.

So, how do ya deal with them SUPPLY SHIPS? (APPROACH FOR CHURCH/ACCADEMY), using a Metallo - Guess it's the same for other Menace ships, dunno.

Again, I provide this kind o' stuff with good will and without any weird intention, so interested ppl, pls attention.

- Before ya fly into action, get 2 Armored Car (AC ) with HMG into yer crew. These can take out a Cyber Disc w/ probs, or a fartbag, or a Chryssalid. Also, have some (2-4) of your crew wear something they can fly in.
THINK - who ya gonna face? lasers don't do crap against the Church Zealots. And if they have D.C.s...
- If the right leg of the supply ship is intact, ya got 16 turns b4 it blows - that leg, that is. Plenty enough time.
- Ya clear the outside of the ship 1st. Get your AC in action and clear the Battlescape (SLOWLY! Ya not Nikki Lauda). Be ready for savescumming. If you don't use it otherwise (your choice) here you better do. Wait, ya wanna D.C.s? Then just do what it takes to get them. They sell well as well:) Clearing the Battlescape with two ACs takes maybe 5 -7 turns, no  more.
- As soon as safe enough, position your infantry on the roof of your Menace along the edges, facing as necessary - but generally towards the enemy ship, of course. In the meantime, have them gathered on the upper deck, at the stairs, with 2 guys guarding the back entrance, and send them out each turn (use run) to kill something.
-After you see that the enemy is weakened enough, send the hover guys to the upper door of the enemy ship to board it. CAREFUL, don't rush, have them land on the roof part above this entrance 1st, and then, in the next turn, banzai it. Simultaneously, have your infantry board through the lower entrance (same story, take cover behind the corner 1st, blahblah...). Your ACs should be back by then, to cover the entrances if necessary. As soon as the boarding teams are in, Send your ACs back out there, to find possible missed enemies. Ain't believing? Well, I found a Celatid like this yesterday, so...
- Teach the enemy inside that dying on one's feet with their boots on is good for your noses:)
Pronto, e tutto.

A colleague here mentioned using mortars more than once - I believe you think of the D.C.s, right? Niice choice, muchacho:)

NEED HELP: the Academy constantly tries to board one of my bases. So far, I've destroyed all the ships, but they are comming with bigger and weirder ones (last time my AA blew a Boarding Torpedo) and eventually they will land. Which weapons do I get ready for killing them? I have everything thet a warrior on my tech level can have. I guess that Heavy Flamers, CAWSs and Death Blossoms with API would be cool. And my Armored Batallion as well. (6 ACs, 3 tanks). Converting ACs to HMG or MG ones... As for tanks, just not to load grenades... YUP... Plus 15 Bloodhounds and 3 reapers... Mhm... I think that would do. But do they use CYBERDISKS in the base assaults..? You ppl said to use cutting damage if I want the Cyberdisc NOT to blow up. So that would be Bows and melee., maybe some shotguns as well.

You don't have to pack a ship for Base Defense. All your weapons in the base will be available for defense.

Offline Greep

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: May 20, 2019, 10:17:49 pm »
I once tried to shoot down a civie with airballs. I reloaded a few times. It went like this:

miss miss miss... damn, out of ammo

hit, destroyed... damn

miss hit miss... damn, out of ammo again

That was a few versions ago when airballs only had 3 shots. Now they have 4 and the missile version has 6, so that's definately an improvement. Production time was also higher back then. I guess they are an ok weapon now after balancing.

Yeah I just skip the light weapons version and go straight for the missile launcher >.>  Usually takes out a small civvy even, but not a medium.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 10:24:11 pm by Greep »

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: May 21, 2019, 11:56:07 am »
Can shooting down enough boarding ships make enemy stop trying to board my base? We don’t need their sh*t on our floor.

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: May 21, 2019, 12:07:47 pm »
You need to shoot down the ships looking for your hideout so they don't find it in the first place.

Offline Greep

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: May 21, 2019, 12:12:48 pm »
Yeah it's a quirk of vanilla xcom too.  Winning a base defence discourages them, but shooting down 10,000 battleships won't.

Offline Marza

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: May 21, 2019, 03:30:09 pm »
Addendum: Shooting down an invading vessel before it lands at your hideout, having the invading vessel get blown up by hideout defences, or allowing the invading vessel into your hideout (intentionally or not) and starting a defence mission will all unflag that base as 'found' by the enemy.

The hideout will not be a target of further attacks until subsequent crackdown missions successfully flag the hideout as found.

Thankfully, the endless retaliation battleship waves of vanilla X-Com was a bug that has been fixed in OpenX-Com.

Offline thevideogameraptorboggle

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: May 21, 2019, 09:56:28 pm »
Addendum: Shooting down an invading vessel before it lands at your hideout, having the invading vessel get blown up by hideout defences, or allowing the invading vessel into your hideout (intentionally or not) and starting a defence mission will all unflag that base as 'found' by the enemy.

The hideout will not be a target of further attacks until subsequent crackdown missions successfully flag the hideout as found.

Thankfully, the endless retaliation battleship waves of vanilla X-Com was a bug that has been fixed in OpenX-Com.

I had a streak of four base defences on a base with a hideout shroud, while my main base lay undetected for years. I thought that found bases remained found forever, but I guess it was just a streak of bad luck that defied probability.

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: May 21, 2019, 10:30:10 pm »
TYVM  Marza. Well, I see thst they don't come and I have now armored ambulances on fugitive search missions. Maybe that's it.
Now, some1 pls explain

what's the deal with the *Eurosyndicate Deal*?

I see some great guns they offer, but at what price? I mean, how much negative score coz of blood on my hands? Well, I'm a pirate, but a careful one.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 12:07:13 pm by Alex the KatanaCutlass »