Author Topic: Want to help?  (Read 92353 times)

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Want to help?
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2017, 02:48:12 am »
They are supposed to be exactly the same as TFTD Deep Ones, just with a different name (because "Deep One" is tied to fish people as it should be). But I'm listening. ;)
Hmm... Maybe I should have called them "Gillmen" after all. Aren't they actual humans with surgically added gills and stuff?
The problem is: their sprites are not green. I don't remember how Deep Ones and Calcinites looked — it was long ago and I didn't see either much. Where are those sprites from? TFTD? Some other mod? Did you make them?
Update: Played a terror mission in TFTD. Yes, TFTD Deep Ones are green gunners in Ufopaedia and white acid-spitters in Battlescape. Time to fix that :)

Calling them "gillmen" would've been right, but that would create too much confusion.

Drone picture is from Ufopaedia. Ditto holodrone (damn, forgot it's already there) and obliterator.

Got any Jarhead pictures for reference? Where does the picture for UNIT (Resources/UfopediaTechPics/UNIT.png) come from?

Spent several hours trying to draw LARGE_DRONE en face. Do you know where is this picture from?

Priest is SuitArmor-MAN_15M12 with recoloured shoes, more black cloth pasted between his legs, some collar editing and some extra hair. Edit: No, don't like his face. Edit 2: Cleaned face, uploading again

Since JARHEAD_PRETENDER is identical to FEMALE_CASUAL, why not just use Resources/CiviliansPack/Citizens/inventory_FEMALE_CASUAL.png for pretenders' inventory picture?
By the way, why are all pretenders female? Jarheads' frame sticking out in certain directions?

Jarhead is a robot from https://pixabay.com/ru/%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%B1%D0%BE%D1%82-%D0%BC%D0%B5%D1%85%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%B8%D1%87%D0%B5%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%B8%D0%B5-%D1%84%D1%83%D1%82%D1%83%D1%80%D0%B8%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B8%D1%87%D0%B5%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%B8%D0%B9-1940306/ with the brain composed from https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c5/Blausen_0103_Brain_Sensory%26Motor.png and https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Brain_01.jpg and stretched spinal cord. If you can replace it with something more fitting — that would be better.
Update: Forgot to stretch it to match average X-COM shoulder width. Uploading the wider version.

First janissary is green and has a gun. Same as in Ufopaedia.
inventory_JANISSARY-green-big is Ufopaedia-sized.
inventory_JANISSARY-green is inventory-sized.
janissary-gray is grey, but still has a gun.
ufopedia_JANISSARY-gray is the updated Ufopaedia page.
Now I want to remove the gun, but haven't decided what to do with his arms.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 01:17:43 am by tkzv »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2017, 07:20:07 pm »
Calling them "gillmen" would've been right, but that would create too much confusion.

I guess. That's why it is as it is.

Drone picture is from Ufopaedia. Ditto holodrone (damn, forgot it's already there) and obliterator.

Awesome. Love them. Will use them.

Got any Jarhead pictures for reference? Where does the picture for UNIT (Resources/UfopediaTechPics/UNIT.png) come from?

Sadly, I have nothing on Jarheads beyond what is in the mod. I have taken the basic sprite from Jackstraw2323's War of Shadows mod, added the transformation sequence and made a crude excuse for the bigob. Your take on its inventory is pretty solid, I like it. Might be a bit more mechanical, or maybe even lighter, but I have no strong ideas for improvement. I'm going to use your designs, they are totally fine.

Sorry, no idea where the UNIT pic comes from.

Spent several hours trying to draw LARGE_DRONE en face. Do you know where is this picture from?

No idea - I stole it from some game, but it was so long ago. I could search for it, but it won't be 15 minutes.

Anyway, robotic units tend to not have en face paperdolls, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Priest is SuitArmor-MAN_15M12 with recoloured shoes, more black cloth pasted between his legs, some collar editing and some extra hair. Edit: No, don't like his face. Edit 2: Cleaned face, uploading again

Perfect.
Maybe I'll experiment a little bit with the head when I have free time, just for fun.

Since JARHEAD_PRETENDER is identical to FEMALE_CASUAL, why not just use Resources/CiviliansPack/Citizens/inventory_FEMALE_CASUAL.png for pretenders' inventory picture?

Yeah, I'll do that. I just forgot.

By the way, why are all pretenders female? Jarheads' frame sticking out in certain directions?

Heh, no, I just never got around to make a male version... The transformation animation takes a while.

First janissary is green and has a gun. Same as in Ufopaedia.
inventory_JANISSARY-green-big is Ufopaedia-sized.
inventory_JANISSARY-green is infentory-sized.
janissary-gray is gray, but still has a gun.
ufopedia_JANISSARY-gray is the updated Ufopaedia page.
Now I want to remove the gun, but haven't decided what to do with his arms.

Yeah, the gun is the biggest problem, since it's obviously non-canon. I'm wondering what to do about it myself...

Many thanks for all the great work, I can't express how excited I am! Everything goes to the next release, which will be very soon.

EDIT:
Gave the priest a clerical collar.

Also changed Space Technomad's helmet to the one used in Piratez. I think it looks better.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 07:43:02 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2017, 11:21:45 pm »
Gave the priest a clerical collar.
That's what I was trying to do too. I didn't bother finding a reference, as you can see.

Also changed Space Technomad's helmet to the one used in Piratez. I think it looks better.
Looks less practical — creates large blind zones on both sides, compared to a bubble. But I guess, it's easier to make with existing Earth technology.

Yeah, the gun is the biggest problem, since it's obviously non-canon. I'm wondering what to do about it myself...
I wonder, how did it end up in TFTD in the first place, since it contradicts flavour text so much?

Anyway, it's done :) Removing the gun was easy. Filling the gaps was harder. Rotating arms and hands wasn't hard, but the result was ugly. But 7x downscaling does wonders to sloppy digital painting. It won't be hard to change the Ufopaedia page, but I like the one with the gun better.

Update: And the grey janissary autopsy to complete the set.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 11:47:18 pm by tkzv »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2017, 11:48:13 pm »
I wonder, how did it end up in TFTD in the first place, since it contradicts flavour text so much?

Because TFTD was horribly rushed and the development was chaotic at best.

Anyway, it's done :) Removing the gun was easy. Filling the gaps was harder. Rotating arms and hands wasn't hard, but the result was ugly. But 7x downscaling does wonders to sloppy digital painting. It won't be hard to change the Ufopaedia page, but I like the one with the gun better.

Brilliant! Pity I've just released 0.8, so this picture will be in the next release. Which might be soon, considering these full versions tend to be really buggy, and there is the OXCE+ update too. :P

Looks less practical — creates large blind zones on both sides, compared to a bubble. But I guess, it's easier to make with existing Earth technology.

It also looks more consistent.

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2017, 01:11:07 am »
Brilliant! Pity I've just released 0.8, so this picture will be in the next release. Which might be soon, considering these full versions tend to be really buggy, and there is the OXCE+ update too. :P
While the engine is being compiled, I can only check the files. Things you've missed so far:
  • Bikini babe inventory picture. Or did you dislike her slim figure so much?
  • Janissaries — grey Ufopedia pictures. Plus the gunless inventory picture.
  • Polarnik inventory picture.
  • Postal1 can use an officer inventory picture. That's HUMAN_POSTAL1_ARMOR, inventory_MALE_OFFICER_SOLDIER and Resources/CiviliansPack/Army/inventory_MALE_OFFICER_SOLDIER.png

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2017, 09:16:17 pm »
Bikini babe inventory picture. Or did you dislike her slim figure so much?

No, I as just wondering what to do with it. I don't hate it, but it looks kind of out of place. Like she was a starved, but very tall woman.
I'll add her after all. Maybe she can be tweaked a little in the future.

Janissaries — grey Ufopedia pictures. Plus the gunless inventory picture.

Yes, now I finished adding your Janissary stuff. I simply missed it...

Polarnik inventory picture.

And this one was a gross oversight on my part. :P

Postal1 can use an officer inventory picture. That's HUMAN_POSTAL1_ARMOR, inventory_MALE_OFFICER_SOLDIER and Resources/CiviliansPack/Army/inventory_MALE_OFFICER_SOLDIER.png

Sure, will do.

Should be everything now :)

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2017, 11:58:17 pm »
Then get a few more :)

Policeman is based on SAILOR with altered and reshaped coat of Red Dawn Coordinator.
Policewoman is based on FEMALE_CASUAL.
I tried experimenting with boots.
I found a picture of a police hat online, compressed it 200 times and then redrew everything. It wasn't even close to the animation sprites, so I altered it until I got something like a bowler hat with a cockade. I'm posting versions with both hats.

In the list I posted earlier I made a mistake. The TECHNICIAN.png doesn't have a corresponding inventory picture, because it has two: inventory_FEMALE_TECHNICIAN.png and inventory_MALE_TECHNICIAN.png.

Update:
POSTAL0 is based on HUNTER with altered coat. POSTAL2 is recoloured ZSSR_UBEK with a bit more hair.

Guess, this is where simple alterations and recolouring are over. Arabs and robots need to be drawn from scratch.

• ARAB, BEDUIN, BEDUIN_WARRIOR, FEMALE_ARAB.
  • BADASS_CHRYSSALID
  • BLACK_LOTUS_AVATAR
  • CENTURION
  • LARGE_DRONE
  • MAGMA_ROBOTANK
  • MIBTANKS
  • ROBOSPHERE
  • ROBOTURRET_LASER
  • SEEKER_DRONE

Just noticed: on the animation sprites the head looks like a red bubble from every direction. For this suit the head will be mostly white from sides and back.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 01:20:46 am by tkzv »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2017, 12:09:36 pm »
So fantastic! (Pity I can't see the details on a mobile.)

Badass Chryssalid is simply the alien queen from Aliens, if it helps.

Roboturret and Robosphere were something I stole from Robin's mod, From the Apocalypse. Maybe you could cooperate or something.

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2017, 12:24:39 am »
Badass Chryssalid is simply the alien queen from Aliens, if it helps.
Actually, it does. There are plenty of models floating around.
alien_queen_white-gray and alien_queen_white-blue is what I got by bending the tail.
P.S. inventory_BADASS_CRYSSALID is the grey one downscaled to inventory resolution. I'll try to smooth this mess.
P.P.S. On second thought it looks sufficiently jagged and pointy on dark background.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 12:45:29 am by tkzv »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2017, 11:10:17 am »
The en face looks really rad. The side view is also great, but IMO too obvious.

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2017, 10:26:55 pm »
I wanted to give a lengthy explanation why did I put the tail that way. Then I decided a single picture would do better and posted the side view.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2017, 12:18:50 pm »
I wanted to give a lengthy explanation why did I put the tail that way. Then I decided a single picture would do better and posted the side view.

Yeah, it looks great!

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2017, 07:26:06 pm »
Another attempt with cryssalid. More like the upright figure in the game.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 07:32:10 pm by tkzv »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2017, 08:10:06 pm »
Another attempt with cryssalid. More like the upright figure in the game.

To be honest I liked the previous one better... This one has too sharp edges for my liking.

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2017, 01:06:14 am »
To be honest I liked the previous one better... This one has too sharp edges for my liking.
Shouldn't a Cryssalid be an insectoid monster made of sharp edges? :)

I'll try different opacity settings then, when I get back to it.

And now, an attempt to draw a Jarhead in OpenSCAD. I imagined them all blocky. Suggestions are welcome. If none appear, I'll finish arms, feet and brain tomorrow.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 01:10:29 am by tkzv »