Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1072959 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #780 on: October 15, 2017, 05:05:42 pm »
Pneumatic single-shot spearguns have muzzle energy on par with 9 mm pistols, but seem to be allowed in most countries of the world. The only thing banned is using them with an aqualung — that's considered poaching in most countries (but allowed in the USA :) )

Ah, that thing. Yeah, I guess it would be allowed if it existed in the mod. But designing it would probably be a tough one. :)

Though X-COM dart guns are closer to the rumoured needle guns of "frogmen". I did not find anything reliable about those and can't say if they should require permissions or pass through loopholes. (Underwater firearms that use gunpowder are definitely a weapon, but I'm not talking about them.)

Yeah, and I sort of plan to make special underwater ammo for certain weapons, like the Groza. But I never really did, because I don't have a clear idea how to do that, yet.

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: October 15, 2017, 05:57:04 pm »
Ah, that thing. Yeah, I guess it would be allowed if it existed in the mod. But designing it would probably be a tough one. :)
Why tough? It's just a crossbow with longer reloading time, "underwater" property and different sprites. Not much work, just pointless, in my opinion.

Unrelated question: Mikor MGL is in "Incendiaries", but it doesn't have any incendiary ammo. Is it an error, or an ammo I haven't discovered yet?

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: October 15, 2017, 07:31:10 pm »
I know it may be illegal, but by this logic, why have guns in ANY european country, china, japan, or all these other (freedom hating) areas?

Beyond that, xcom at day 1 is an international investigation agency with authorization to bring weapons into countries : I know the whole deal with tourism and stuff, but I figure one could flash their badge to sneak in a few small pistols and such

Besides, the weapons availible are very limited, and not even indicated unless you know beforehand, so if you pack a crew with pistols and no crossbows, you  are completely fucked, and killed off all your agents the moment you started the mission : we should AT LEAST make it clear pistols are not allowed, as this was how I started off, and it was a very nasty suprise, especially with no retreat chance

Perhaps this? Maybe such resorts could have archery ranges / sporting rifle spots for procure on sight operations, while tiny pistols are allowed? This would make more sense than weapons as big as crossbows, and still provide unique challenges.

In short, I dont understand why the agents, even when undercover, could not carry concealable pistols, but could totally bring in MASSIVE CROSSBOWS AND DART GUNS into the resort. I would figure these places would have such weapons on sight only, if anything, and it would be easier to smuggle in a handful of snubnose pistols than crossbows ::)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 09:14:52 pm by mumble »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: October 15, 2017, 09:33:34 pm »
Why tough? It's just a crossbow with longer reloading time, "underwater" property and different sprites. Not much work, just pointless, in my opinion.

One-handed shotgun. :) I imagine it would have an abysmal range, yes? Almost taser level?

Unrelated question: Mikor MGL is in "Incendiaries", but it doesn't have any incendiary ammo. Is it an error, or an ammo I haven't discovered yet?

A bug. Thanks, fixed.

I know it may be illegal, but by this logic, why have guns in ANY european country, china, japan, or all these other (freedom hating) areas?

There is always a reason. It's the most obvious reason to raise your level anyway - more lenient rules.

Beyond that, xcom at day 1 is an international investigation agency with authorization to bring weapons into countries : I know the whole deal with tourism and stuff, but I figure one could flash their badge to sneak in a few small pistols and such

In this case it's more about stealth. Even if you keep your pistol hidden, the cult will probably have a very close eye on all tourists, including you. The cleaning lady, the beach cleaner guy, the ice cream vendor - all of them could be informants. So it was decided that we simply don't bring guns. We'll beat them with surfboards!

Besides, the weapons availible are very limited, and not even indicated unless you know beforehand

Hey, it isn't true.

so if you pack a crew with pistols and no crossbows, you  are completely fucked, and killed off all your agents the moment you started the mission : we should AT LEAST make it clear pistols are not allowed, as this was how I started off, and it was a very nasty suprise, especially with no retreat chance

I'm fairly sure this is explained in the briefing. Or maybe it should be improved? Any suggestions?

Perhaps this? Maybe such resorts could have archery ranges / sporting rifle spots for procure on sight operations, while tiny pistols are allowed? This would make more sense than weapons as big as crossbows, and still provide unique challenges.

I'd rather add more non-standard solutions, like bows. Or something else that can pass for sporting/beach equipment.

In short, I dont understand why the agents, even when undercover, could not carry concealable pistols, but could totally bring in MASSIVE CROSSBOWS AND DART GUNS into the resort. I would figure these places would have such weapons on sight only, if anything, and it would be easier to smuggle in a handful of snubnose pistols than crossbows ::)

Well, hopefully I have explained above. :)

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: October 15, 2017, 11:19:04 pm »
I imagine it would have an abysmal range, yes? Almost taser level?
Several — maybe 10 — metres underwater, several times more in air. More like a shotgun than a taser.

I'm fairly sure this is explained in the briefing. Or maybe it should be improved? Any suggestions?
The briefing is rather vague about which weapons and outfits are allowed. There is a button to display acceptable outfits, perhaps it could also display the allowed weapons?

I'd rather add more non-standard solutions, like bows. Or something else that can pass for sporting/beach equipment.
I loved it when I could use surfing board as an improvised weapon :) Though clubs are more convenient.

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: October 15, 2017, 11:40:20 pm »
If the idea of all of these weapons is restricted, then how about ultra concealable pistols?

There's 2 in mind, one is a 22 magnum pistol with 1 shot in it, which can fit inside a wallet, and another is a 2 shot 45 pistol which is only slightly bigger. I figure these could be concealed even in swimsuits, and would at LEAST allow some sort of conventional firepower, and would be much more available than crossbows.

Also solair, no there is no notification for weapon restrictions on mission details or anything, and you can check everything you bring by launching the mission in "new battle". Just crossbows and dart guns, darts being a more promotion 3 item anyways, and unavailible : and I figure if the groups are paranoid enough to check for stuff like pistols, crossbows would also raise eye brows.

Beyond that, it seems rediculously balanced even if you see it coming, crossbows against guys with machine guns, and no armor? A bit much, really... And I figure xcom agents could manage sneaking in mirco pistols...they are AGENTS after all.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: October 16, 2017, 01:36:33 am »
Several — maybe 10 — metres underwater, several times more in air.

And how do you propose we do this?

The briefing is rather vague about which weapons and outfits are allowed. There is a button to display acceptable outfits, perhaps it could also display the allowed weapons?

Perhaps, yes. No idea how doable it is, but I think it would be quite helpful.

If the idea of all of these weapons is restricted, then how about ultra concealable pistols?

There's 2 in mind, one is a 22 magnum pistol with 1 shot in it, which can fit inside a wallet, and another is a 2 shot 45 pistol which is only slightly bigger. I figure these could be concealed even in swimsuits, and would at LEAST allow some sort of conventional firepower, and would be much more available than crossbows.

Perhaps. I'll think about it.

Also solair, no there is no notification for weapon restrictions on mission details or anything, and you can check everything you bring by launching the mission in "new battle". Just crossbows and dart guns, darts being a more promotion 3 item anyways, and unavailible : and I figure if the groups are paranoid enough to check for stuff like pistols, crossbows would also raise eye brows.

Crossbows are a bit borderline, but still kind of passable around a beach.

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: October 16, 2017, 01:41:15 am »
And how do you propose we do this?
Err... I didn't propose. I was just retelling second-hand information about RL guns :)

I have no idea how to implement different range for water and air.

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: October 16, 2017, 04:05:05 am »
solair, since outfits can have versions of them for underwater, cant weapons have the same?

Is this remotely possible?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: October 17, 2017, 06:39:12 pm »
No, unfortunately it's not possible at the moment.

And I was actually hoping tkzv had an idea... But don't feel bad man, I am no better. :)

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: October 20, 2017, 12:39:24 am »
Mission site for "Hybrid/Men in Black Meeting" is a UFO of type "Mansion Men in Black". To get there I had to shoot this mansion down :)

A few versions ago (0.6.8, probably) I've seen a similar error for something like "Hybrid Fortress" (not sure about the name) which had jarheads inside.

After the victory at Cydonia the endgame slideshow is displayed twice.

An unrelated question: since there are several unrelated groups causing trouble and it's possible to finish Cydonia before some of them, do you think the game should continue after this victory?

How does infiltration work? I shoot down every ship on infiltration mission, including both battleships, before any of them lands, yet every targeted country defects.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 09:14:35 pm by tkzv »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: October 20, 2017, 11:57:39 am »
These hybrid missions are relics of very ancient times when a mission required a UFO. Right now they are sort of placeholders.

The Cydonia slideshow is an interesting bug. I will check if it happens to me as well.

I plan to make Cydonia require completion of other arcs in some way.

Infiltration works exactly like in vanilla.

Offline D3LTA WAV3

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: October 26, 2017, 02:42:04 am »
I got a crash with the most recent version.

I was just starting a new game and managed to intercept an alien ship twice; this is the second ship and I lost all but 1 guy who was the alien's panic buddy(he was being psy-panicked or whatever for like 10 rounds) and they finally did mind control on him and the game crashed. I think it was because he was mind controlled when he was the last guy alive. Also, does anyone have a save for the most recent version that starts around the beginning of the alien invasion?

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: October 26, 2017, 03:22:34 am »
By most recent version, do you mean 0.7.2 or 0.7.3? This is a known bug that getting a soldier mind controlled causes a crash in 0.7.2, fixed by the release of a new exe. When you start Open XCom, what date is shown on the title screen?

Offline D3LTA WAV3

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: October 26, 2017, 06:42:22 am »
Okay, sorry. I had 0.7.2 and thought it was the most recent. Oh, no wonder I thought that. It was updated today!