Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1072249 times)

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #375 on: March 30, 2017, 05:04:19 am »
not sure if this was fixed in 6.2 (sorry, haven't had time to test AT ALL lately) but in 6.2, fire grenades seem to crash the zombie catacombs. Save included shows how, just throw one infront of the unit who is downstairs. Strangely, this is just fire, and not explosives.

also in the vein of "bad taste" : can you remove the breast bulge on the kevlar vest? I HIGHLY doubt a thick kevlar vest would have such a pronounced bulge by a pair of soft breasts : The breasts are the path of least resistance, unless the breasts are huge, but none of the xcom girls are absolutely huge in the tits department anyway.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 05:06:34 am by mumble »

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: March 30, 2017, 05:37:09 am »
It's well-fitted kevlar, such that the female agents don't have to deal with the uncomfortable extra compression of a more masculine flat-chested version.  I think forcing them to wear such uncomfortable personal protection while already asking them to risk their lives is in poor taste.

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: March 30, 2017, 05:52:16 am »
I get what your saying, but lets please be realistic : if you have a situation where your life is on the line, will you custom order "female fit" kevlar vests, when you are an underfunded, overworked agency ANYWAYS?

not only this, but you gotta think of priorities : Any woman who has any brain cells would rather her tits be uncomfortably squished for a few hours, than have her guts blown out by a shotgun wielding cultist. Not to mention, I think the breast shaping idea might actually not be possible without fucking up the protective capability : please understand, kevlar ITSELF, just the vest, is 20 pounds : This drapping over you WOULD compress breast tissue by weight of the vest alone, and if something was made RIGID, to make it not compress the breasts, this would put a serious problem in the vests performance, and possibly even cause more injury if shot, due to the rigidity.

Keep in mind, the personal armor having breast contouring fibre makes sense, as its an alien material, but kevlar just doesn't work that way, as far as I know.

Offline Dr.Crowley

• Colonel
  • Saving data in the name of the Emperor!
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: March 30, 2017, 05:55:58 am »
Oh please, let the Rule of Cool be.

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 30, 2017, 06:24:10 am »
heh.. ...I guess you might call it cool, but I call it weird, how their tits poke the vest out pretty prominently.

Whatever, its up to solair to consider : I find it neither realistic, nor consistient with the art style. I also think it makes kevlar look weaker.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #380 on: March 30, 2017, 08:30:12 am »
I've never really noticed the difference between kevlars, so maybe it's not so jarring... ;) X-Com has always been like that.

Offline Dr.Crowley

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: March 30, 2017, 10:32:50 am »
heh.. ...I guess you might call it cool, but I call it weird, how their tits poke the vest out pretty prominently.

Whatever, its up to solair to consider : I find it neither realistic, nor consistient with the art style. I also think it makes kevlar look weaker.
Geez, why should everything in the fiction be realistic? I mean, realism itself is good but it's not a rule. As for Rule of Cool... daaaaaamn, it's not me who calls it cool, it's just a phrase for describing something that looks good but makes little sence.

Sorry for freaking out - I feel sick this morning and have some terrible mood swings.

UPD.: Magnum .44 AA Clips can't be loaded to the Magnum - "wrong ammunition for this weapon!"
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 09:47:48 pm by Dr.Crowley »

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: March 30, 2017, 10:03:07 pm »
just keep in mind, cool is subjective : nobody minds tanks able to roll around all the time, going around on hills, and never have a risk of flipping on steep slopes, because its cool. But having a kevlar vest show boobs?

Would it be UNCOOL if removed?

I would argue tanks flipping over on hills would be uncool, but I can't say anyone would miss the whole boob kevlar if it was changed. (not to the point of someone whos never played XCF would come in and say "why no boobs on kevlar" compared to "why the hell did my tank flip)

I mean, kevlar doesn't define the pectoral muscles on males at all, and seems 100% flat and square, where women suddenly seem JUST as curvy as if in a bikini. With leather jackets, or suits, I can understand, but heavy kevlar vests its odd. Granted I've never worn kevlar, but I've worn flak jackets, and they are damn heavy, and not really flexible much, I figure kevlar wouldn't be far off?

maybe I'm nitpicking, but it just seems extremely out of place, and makes me question the physics behind these kevlar vests

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: March 30, 2017, 10:15:37 pm »
I think it's just part of stylistics. X-com graphics is very cartoonish, and also sort of chibi (these people should be much taller with keeping the same width). I never even noticed these breasts consciously as a thing.

Offline Dr.Crowley

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: March 31, 2017, 12:10:01 am »
UPD.: Magnum .44 AA Clips can't be loaded to the Magnum - "wrong ammunition for this weapon!"
What about this, Sol?

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: March 31, 2017, 12:14:41 am »
intentional IIRC : AA clips shoot hotter and faster, which would rip apart a NORMAL magnum : you need a blackops magnum IIRC.

Offline Dr.Crowley

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: March 31, 2017, 06:06:15 am »
Oh well. Maybe it should be mentioned somewhere, I dunno.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: March 31, 2017, 03:06:22 pm »
Oh well. Maybe it should be mentioned somewhere, I dunno.

OK, but where? Can't put it on the weapon.

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: March 31, 2017, 04:12:17 pm »
Perhaps on alloy ammo research? A small note like (please note, alloy ammunition will not function safely in lower than premium grade firearms, due to risk of the firearm rupturing) or something?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: March 31, 2017, 05:14:03 pm »
Sure, it can be done. Actually it applies to all classic weapons, except shotguns.