Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1071674 times)

Offline D3LTA WAV3

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #135 on: December 22, 2016, 10:11:07 pm »
When I said the flame throwers were kind of slow, I meant it's annoying watching your player shoot fire for 8 seconds in a very small area, I don't mean to buff it up or anything. The flame throwers are very powerful, that they fire slowly and it's annoying to watch a guy shoot the same small area for 8 seconds. The minigun gets over with shooting the projectiles almost instantly from when it starts.

In all honesty, there is never a reason for me to use a minigun as it IS completely useless in almost all situations(OR maybe I'm extremely unlucky!! That's it!). I really like the small minigun I just wish I could use it without getting myself killed and looking like in idiot in front of the aliens. As far as I can remember, I've used the miniguns at most 15 times and I only remember hitting an enemy five times(as in out of 150 shots with either of the miniguns, I've landed only five on an enemy. Never in medium-long range engagements.) Is there a suppression mechanic that I don't understand or what?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #136 on: December 22, 2016, 10:16:33 pm »
When I said the flame throwers were kind of slow, I meant it's annoying watching your player shoot fire for 8 seconds in a very small area, I don't mean to buff it up or anything. The flame throwers are very powerful, that they fire slowly and it's annoying to watch a guy shoot the same small area for 8 seconds. The minigun gets over with shooting the projectiles almost instantly from when it starts.

Ah, okay then, I misunderstood.
I can try playing around with bulletSpeed for this weapon, but I'm not sure how it'll turn out.

In all honesty, there is never a reason for me to use a minigun as it IS completely useless in almost all situations(OR maybe I'm extremely unlucky!! That's it!). I really like the small minigun I just wish I could use it without getting myself killed and looking like in idiot in front of the aliens. As far as I can remember, I've used the miniguns at most 15 times and I only remember hitting an enemy five times(as in out of 150 shots with either of the miniguns, I've landed only five on an enemy. Never in medium-long range engagements.) Is there a suppression mechanic that I don't understand or what?

No, there is no particular suppression mechanics in X-Com, except that wounded units are more likely to fall back.

It's true that miniguns rarely hit, but also beat in mind that each bullet decreases the target's armour. So, three hits from this weapon is a bit better than from, say, a rifle, even if the bullet is the same.

Anyway, as I said, it's often a situational weapon. It's not really my favourite either, but that's mostly because we don't have suitable missions for it! Maybe once surface X-Com base are in (Oheartenstein is working on it), miniguns and similar weapons will have a place to shine.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 22, 2016, 10:29:17 pm »
The issue with waiting for flamer to finish firing is because you need an explosion for AoE weapons, and each explosion needs to animate in sequence.  Technically all weapons do this, but the 'explosion' animation for single-target weapons isn't necessary, and can be removed to speed up the firing process, which is how it's done for the minigun.

Offline D3LTA WAV3

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 23, 2016, 01:35:06 am »
SURFACE XCOM BASES? HOLY !%*! THANK YOU, O' HARTENSTEIN!

Under water missions don't have the "bubbly" ambient sound of TFTD playing in the background and the footstep sound effects aren't as they are in TFTD. Kind of weird, I can live with it but if it's not too hard to implement then I recommend you do that  because being underwater just doesn't feel like I'm actually underwater. Also, if you can, the green under water alien guys (I forgot their name) don't have the same sound effects as the ones' from TFTD. I understand if it's too much or "impossible", I think adding the sound effects from TFTD would really help the atmosphere ( I love TFTD's sound effects.)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 23, 2016, 02:48:43 am »
but if it's not too hard to implement

No idea. Maybe with some MCDpatch magic.

Also, if you can, the green under water alien guys (I forgot their name) don't have the same sound effects as the ones' from TFTD.

I know. I never cared.

Offline Dreamsicle

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 27, 2016, 06:38:38 pm »
I'm on 0.5.1b and after recruiting the military envoy, I found I was able to research the Dragonfly. Is this supposed to happen instead of occurring at promotion 2?

If it is supposed to happen,
Spoiler:
should the Dragonfly cost more in terms of points vs the Skyraider? I reduced the Dragonfly cost to 100 as it felt weird to have the Dragonfly take longer than the Skyraider. The ruleset for research are

- name: STR_DRAGONFLY
    cost: 300
    dependencies:
      - STR_MILESTONE_1_SUMMARY
      - STR_MILITARY_ENVOY_CONTACT
    listOrder: 738

- name: STR_SKYRAIDER
    cost: 200
    dependencies:
      - STR_MILESTONE_2_SUMMARY
      - STR_DRAGONFLY
      - STR_ALIEN_POWER_SYSTEMS
    listOrder: 740

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 27, 2016, 09:22:14 pm »
Works as intended; getting the Dragonfly at this point requires more effort than the Skyraider at that later point.

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 30, 2016, 09:18:46 am »
Solarius, great mod!
Yo, I was playing the game (new LP update on already btw) and I got a error in a Cult Aprehension mission against Red Dawn in Karthoum. When I started, there was a "Map Generation Error" message standing on the top left of the game screen. No other issues seen or effects know, I finished the mission with no problems.

Might wanna take a look.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 30, 2016, 05:23:38 pm »
Solarius, great mod!
Yo, I was playing the game (new LP update on already btw) and I got a error in a Cult Aprehension mission against Red Dawn in Karthoum. When I started, there was a "Map Generation Error" message standing on the top left of the game screen. No other issues seen or effects know, I finished the mission with no problems.

Might wanna take a look.

Thanks, I'll have a look and hopefully fix it, but it's not really an actual problem anyway - I mean, it won't break your game.

Offline Kammerer

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 31, 2016, 04:52:52 pm »
Found a typo:

Commanders' understanding of alien operations is moree than enough

One more:

exxept when providing medical services

Is there a typo in the word "ceurological"? Neither Google nor the Oxford dictionary can find it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 09:21:37 pm by Kammerer »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 31, 2016, 09:22:50 pm »
Thanks, all fixed.

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 31, 2016, 11:34:08 pm »

Offline Spess Mahren

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 01, 2017, 11:20:51 am »
Found a bug, I researched a live werewolf but got the live mongorn research result. Also looked in the files, it seems werecats suffer the same problem.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 11:29:00 am by Spess Mahren »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 01, 2017, 04:29:38 pm »
Found a bug, I researched a live werewolf but got the live mongorn research result. Also looked in the files, it seems werecats suffer the same problem.

You're right... What a stupid mistake. And it's been sitting in plain sight for so long. Thanks!

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 02, 2017, 06:48:07 pm »
Weird. I remember researching werecat in last version and it went ok

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk