aliens

Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1098400 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #120 on: December 20, 2016, 12:38:51 pm »
Okay, really hope you fix that one, I love the jump suits. I found a very small bug. with the jump suits again. There's a green out line on one of the camo suits in the inventory screen while the other soldier in the roster who is wearing the same outfit has no green out line.

Thanks, fixed.

The black ops sniper rifle looks screwed up if you ask me.

Okay, here's a correction. That's the most I can do in 2 minutes, and I don't really have the time to paint a Mona Lisa rifle. :P

PS. I'll leave it this time, but if possible, please edit your first post instead of double-posting. Thank you.

Offline D3LTA WAV3

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 20, 2016, 10:48:14 pm »
Okay, sorry about that. Thanks for the edited sniper rifle(That I see no difference in from a first look). I'll start posting all the bugs I found in this post. Please tell me if you're gonna work on a bug that I posted(or if it's not a bug at all).

FIXED: I found a bug with OXCE? The OXCE advanced settings are screwed up. I'm using the 5.0 version of X-COM Files.

Explosives Licence should be Explosives License.

I fixed the extended options in the advanced options by re clicking English [US] in the videos settings tab "Display Language".
Extended options "Auto Assign Pilots" and "Remove Wounded from Training" have no descriptions.

abducted Farmers are still sold for -10,000 atleast on a save from the last update as I have not started a new game.

A Map Generation error, picture in the attachments. I don't know how to upload log files.

Dagon Morphs are sold for 0 dollars. I don't know if this is a bug but I'll say it anyway.

I'm able to purchase Light Cannon BS Ammo(right after researching Light Cannon Acquisition) before completing the BS Ammo Research.
I also have a tactical grenade launcher entry, auto cannon entry, and heavy cannon entry in the UFOpedia after researching Contact: M.A.G.M.A. Corporation. I cannot purchase these three weapons though.
"Black Ops Industries Contact" should  be "Contact: Black Ops Industries" to fit in with others.

There's a green line visible on the edges of any map in multi-level view.

"Alien Life Forms" UFOpedia entry has has a spelling error. (specidic >specific)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 08:28:24 am by D3LTA WAV3 »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 20, 2016, 10:55:08 pm »
I guess you need to switch from en_GB to en_US.

Offline D3LTA WAV3

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 21, 2016, 08:29:35 am »
Sorry for making another post, I reached the attachment limit. Here are more bugs!

The Tactical Grenade Launcher research is missing a name. 

There is a spelling error in the Fighter Plane Procurement UFOpedia page. See the attachments for a picture where.

I have access to the Heavy Machine Gun before completing the HMG Research. I'm given access to it from Promotion III
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 09:14:46 am by D3LTA WAV3 »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 21, 2016, 10:39:46 am »
a/ I fixed the extended options in the advanced options by re clicking English [US] in the videos settings tab "Display Language".
Extended options "Auto Assign Pilots" and "Remove Wounded from Training" have no descriptions.

b/ A Map Generation error, picture in the attachments. I don't know how to upload log files.

c/ There's a green line visible on the edges of any map in multi-level view.

a/ yes, these are really missing

b/ just copy the text about "culled nodes" from the log file here... the rest is not needed (btw. the log file restarts every time you start openxcom, so always do it immediately when it happens or it will be lost)

c/ that's a feature

PS: don't worry posting another post after someone answered already... only double posting is not allowed... I noticed your changes only by pure accident

Offline D3LTA WAV3

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 21, 2016, 12:46:27 pm »
Alright, I've had the map generation issue twice now. I'll try and post a log file next time I get it.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 21, 2016, 03:25:50 pm »
Explosives Licence should be Explosives License.

I think the world be better if English speaking people stuck to just one English language. :P

OK, fixing that.

abducted Farmers are still sold for -10,000 atleast on a save from the last update as I have not started a new game.

Wait, you mean the bodies? If so, then -10000 is correct. Who's gonna buy a dead farmer off your hands? You have to pay to get rid of the body! :P

A Map Generation error, picture in the attachments.

Yes, I'm still huinting some elusive ones. With Meridian's recent safety measures, they're not dangerous any more though, so don't worry.

Dagon Morphs are sold for 0 dollars. I don't know if this is a bug but I'll say it anyway.

Yes, the price was missing from the body item. Fixing.

I'm able to purchase Light Cannon BS Ammo(right after researching Light Cannon Acquisition) before completing the BS Ammo Research.

Thre is no such research. (Well, technically there is, but it's hiden and automatic.) So unless you could buy the ammo before you could buy a Light Cannon, all is well.

I also have a tactical grenade launcher entry, auto cannon entry, and heavy cannon entry in the UFOpedia after researching Contact: M.A.G.M.A. Corporation. I cannot purchase these three weapons though.

Yes, the description of M.A.G.M.A. Contact was too vague. Now it says:
We have contacted the M.A.G.M.A. Corporation, a secretive Novosibirsk R&D company which specializes in biotech, hi-energy engineering and firearms. Among other things, they offer experimental equipment for high-tier soldiers who can handle weapons outside normal limitations. Their products can potentially prove useful to some of our strongest agents.{NEWLINE}M.A.G.M.A. sent us a catalog of their merchandise. You can exaine them in the Ufopedia, but purchasing some of them will require additional arrangments.

"Black Ops Industries Contact" should  be "Contact: Black Ops Industries" to fit in with others.

Good point. Fixing.

There's a green line visible on the edges of any map in multi-level view.

It's a feature Meridian added to show where the map ends.

"Alien Life Forms" UFOpedia entry has has a spelling error. (specidic >specific)
[/quote]

Fixing.

Sorry for making another post, I reached the attachment limit. Here are more bugs!

No need to apologize, like Meridian said, you didn't double-post :) And if there is a technical reason to (like too many attachments), then DP is allowed.

The Tactical Grenade Launcher research is missing a name.

Indeed. Fixing.

There is a spelling error in the Fighter Plane Procurement UFOpedia page. See the attachments for a picture where.

Sorry, must've been drunk or something.

I have access to the Heavy Machine Gun before completing the HMG Research. I'm given access to it from Promotion III

Hmmm... But it looks coded correctly. I'll test it further when I can.

BTW I'd happily get rid of the "acquisition" researches and just tie these new things to the promotion, but it's a way around some code limitations, so that Ufopedia pages are shown correctly.

Thanks for the very thorough and useful reports!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 03:31:08 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline D3LTA WAV3

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 21, 2016, 11:37:24 pm »
I think you should make the abducted farmer be sold for -1000 instead of 10,000. You're not hosting a funeral too, you're just burying the body. You could just give the corpse to the farmer's relatives.

I did have a visible research option for BS Ammo in the research options if you did not realize it. Of course, it did nothing but it was there nonetheless and I wasted around 4 hours researching nothing :) .

There were two spelling errors in the new line of the Magma Contact "{NEWLINE}M.A.G.M.A. sent us a catalog of their merchandise. You can >>>>>exaine them in the Ufopedia, but purchasing some of them will require additional >>>>>arrangments(should be "arrangements")."

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 21, 2016, 11:47:14 pm »
I think you should make the abducted farmer be sold for -1000 instead of 10,000. You're not hosting a funeral too, you're just burying the body. You could just give the corpse to the farmer's relatives.

But there's the whole secrecy issue, generating various unspecified costs (like bribes). Besides, I think 1000 would be just not enough, game-wise.

I did have a visible research option for BS Ammo in the research options if you did not realize it. Of course, it did nothing but it was there nonetheless and I wasted around 4 hours researching nothing :) .

Must be an artefact from upgrading... This entire part of tech tree was overhauled, and you loaded an old save. But it isn't harmful.

There were two spelling errors in the new line of the Magma Contact "{NEWLINE}M.A.G.M.A. sent us a catalog of their merchandise. You can >>>>>exaine them in the Ufopedia, but purchasing some of them will require additional >>>>>arrangments(should be "arrangements")."

OK, thanks!

Offline Dreamsicle

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 22, 2016, 03:51:56 am »
Wasn't sure if I should have put this in the main thread, but in the readme it talks about enable the spend researched items which does not exist in the 3.5 version unless it's in a ruleset. Based on other posts I could find it was enabled for FMP, but I just wanted to confirm it was the same in XCF. Also asking as I couldn't find it in vars_XCOMFILES.rul

Offline D3LTA WAV3

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 22, 2016, 03:54:12 am »
Forgot about X-COM being a secret organization, haha.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 22, 2016, 04:03:30 am »
Wasn't sure if I should have put this in the main thread, but in the readme it talks about enable the spend researched items which does not exist in the 3.5 version unless it's in a ruleset. Based on other posts I could find it was enabled for FMP, but I just wanted to confirm it was the same in XCF. Also asking as I couldn't find it in vars_XCOMFILES.rul

The option is removed from the nightly/oxce+ 3.5, it's set on a per-item basis in the ruleset. No need to worry about it anymore! Good idea to let Solarius Scorch know that it should be removed from the readme though.

Offline D3LTA WAV3

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 22, 2016, 04:12:15 am »
I think I found another bug or just "Bad taste". Giant Beetles are a bunch of wusses and panic like crazy(even though that's a normal reaction for bugs when they see humans). This problem is exacerbated when you're on a strange life form mission and there's 20 giant beetles. You kill 8 of em and the rest are panicking in the corner and getting angry at each other.

Also a "Bad taste" that REALLY irks me, the miniguns are complete shit (in my experience). I stand 5 blocks away from a man and do the auto fire missing all ten shots. This happens with the light minigun and the regular one. It's very common for me to miss all the shots in close range engagements with the miniguns which makes them useless when you see that it costs about half your TU to use once. PLEASE increase the weapon's accuracy. It's one of my biggest problems in all the mods that include the miniguns. I can't remember but I think the HMG has this issue too.

Flamethrowers are kind of slow. The range is low and usually the area affected by it doesn't increase too much. I think it should be increase to something almost as fast as the mini guns.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 08:50:27 am by D3LTA WAV3 »

Offline Dreamsicle

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 22, 2016, 04:15:02 am »
The option is removed from the nightly/oxce+ 3.5, it's set on a per-item basis in the ruleset. No need to worry about it anymore! Good idea to let Solarius Scorch know that it should be removed from the readme though.

Ah it's per item, I thought it would be set globally in the vars ruleset.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 22, 2016, 02:50:02 pm »
Indeed I forgot to remove it from the readme, thanks.

I think I found another bug or just "Bad taste". Giant Beetles are a bunch of wusses and panic like crazy(even though that's a normal reaction for bugs when they see humans). This problem is exacerbated when you're on a strange life form mission and there's 20 giant beetles. You kill 8 of em and the rest are panicking in the corner and getting angry at each other.

I haven't tested them properly yet. Maybe I'll just give them better morale? Anyway, the same applies to some other enemies, I guess.

Also a "Bad taste" that REALLY irks me, the miniguns are complete shit (in my experience). I stand 5 blocks away from a man and do the auto fire missing all ten shots. This happens with the light minigun and the regular one. It's very common for me to miss all the shots in close range engagements with the miniguns which makes them useless when you see that it costs about half your TU to use once. PLEASE increase the weapon's accuracy. It's one of my biggest problems in all the mods that include the miniguns. I can't remember but I think the HMG has this issue too.

These are situational weapons; not for every mission, not for every player. If you don't want to use them, it's perfectly fine, but I assure you that the Miniguns were rebalanced like 10 times over several years, and I really can't make them any better without breaking them. And the HMG is just OP already, if you can lift it.

Flamethrowers are kind of slow. The range is low and usually the area affected by it doesn't increase too much. I think it should be increase to something almost as fast as the mini guns.

Are you kidding? best weapon in the game! At least against some enemies.