Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1110962 times)

Online psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #3930 on: November 18, 2023, 07:29:39 am »
The kneel up/down costs are hardcoded in OXCE (Savegame/BattleUnit.h), so the mods can do nothing about them. (Though I'm not sure how y-scripting factors into this, whether you can somehow override getKneelUpCost() and getKneelDownCost() that way; I doubt it.)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2023, 03:02:55 pm by psavola »

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
  • Chrysalis are people too
    • View Profile
« Reply #3931 on: November 18, 2023, 02:28:58 pm »
The kneel up/down costs are hardcoded in OXC(E) (Savegame/BattleUnit.h), so the mods can do nothing about them. (Though I'm not sure how y-scripting factors into this, whether you can somehow override getKneelUpCost() and getKneelDownCost() that way; I doubt it.)

Been awhile since I've played vanilla. Are you saying it also costs 8 TU's for getKneelUpCost in vanilla ?

Online psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3932 on: November 18, 2023, 03:02:39 pm »
Been awhile since I've played vanilla. Are you saying it also costs 8 TU's for getKneelUpCost in vanilla ?

Yes. FWIW, OXC does not have the same functions, but the TUs 4/8 are hardcoded in another manner.

Online psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3933 on: November 19, 2023, 08:34:02 am »
This was already discussed in the main thread. But I guess this already qualifies as a bug or at least bad taste, and is worth bringing up for attention here as well.

To get to the end-game phase (i.e. MIB moon mission, orbitals, alien moon missions, etc.) you have to get MIB commander and Ethereal commander. Either one can be tricky and dependent on RNG. But I think Ethereal commander is the most difficult one, because there is only one at Arbiter craft (and nowhere else on earth). And whether you can get one in the first place, and either manage to land it or shoot it down is very RNG-dependent. Further, while etherealRetaliation mission is clearly designed to provide a way to obtain the commander, if they spot your base and do retaliation run, they send a Dreadnought, not the Arbiter, so you won't get the commander in any case.

I think getting to the end-game is made excessively difficult and RNG-dependent and it would make sense to reconsider the requirements. For example, if ANY commander, rather than just ethereal commander, would unlock 'Alien-MIB communications', that would make it much more straightforward.

(As for MIB commander, you could get one if RNG throws MIB outpost at you, or if you anger the MIBs and they do a retaliation run against you. YMMV whether these are sufficient, because both heavily depend on RNG.)

See more in the tread concluding at:

https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4595.msg158898.html#msg158898

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3934 on: November 19, 2023, 05:12:45 pm »
The kneel up/down costs are hardcoded in OXCE (Savegame/BattleUnit.h), so the mods can do nothing about them. (Though I'm not sure how y-scripting factors into this, whether you can somehow override getKneelUpCost() and getKneelDownCost() that way; I doubt it.)
script can't on its own override any logic like this. You would need to see big blob of code that yell "script call".

beside both this functions were added as place holders for future logic, with enough interest I could consider adding option to customize kneel cost.

Offline Simi822

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3935 on: November 20, 2023, 02:47:36 pm »
Dear all,

don't know if its a feature, but one enemy in the Vampire castle spawned in a not reachable area,

had to kill it by editing...

Online psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3936 on: November 20, 2023, 03:02:52 pm »
FWIW, the vampire castle is otherwise very annoying as well. Almost always there are some zombies more or less lost in the catacombs below, and finding them can be painful if there are too many of them still left so that the bug hunt mode doesn't fire off. (And even if it does.) I'm doubtful if there is going to be any change to this, but I'd still suggest reducing the catacombs considerably. They serve no purpose at all.

Similar argument, by the way, also applies to the secret military base missions (e.g. the siberian base full of spiders). Why on earth should such bases be full of very small tunnels that essentially lead to nowhere, just circle around and create a jungle of paths. But I suspect this is likewise intended to more or less annoy the players.

Offline Simi822

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3937 on: November 20, 2023, 05:50:09 pm »
in the catacombs I found 1x Zombie,

Bug hunt turn on was on the 80th turn,

I went there totally blind with a Van of four agents,

as the gate is closed /needed to blow it up/

I was snipping first like for 40 turns and then went in,

and to my surprise then had a 40 turn dance with the queen...and 2x Knights

good thing is that its 30 penalty to not do it...so I will not do it again

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3938 on: November 20, 2023, 06:51:26 pm »

The Vampire queen pops research for better missions which unlock cool shit. I've done the Vampire Castle around 10 times now (10 different games) and each time it is slightly different. But out of those 10 times only twice  (I believe) there was a zombie hidden and encased in the lower levels in a room. You can either blast it with a plasma grenade, Erilium charge, High Explosive and go in after him.

Spoiler:
Sometimes on this mission, another strategy is to place your high reaction shot soldiers in open areas with back cover. Skip a few turns (but not too many) and pick them off.

Agreed with Psavola though, this mission can be tedious. But it reaps rewards.

Spoiler:
4 soldiers wearing Stormtrooper armor or flying suits help. Typically the vampire queen won't die. she will lay stunned with fire.

Offline zee_ra

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3939 on: November 20, 2023, 09:02:11 pm »
Dear all,

don't know if its a feature, but one enemy in the Vampire castle spawned in a not reachable area,

had to kill it by editing...

Is the enemy reachable by boring through with laser bore?

Offline zee_ra

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3940 on: November 20, 2023, 09:03:53 pm »
in the catacombs I found 1x Zombie,

Bug hunt turn on was on the 80th turn,

I went there totally blind with a Van of four agents,

as the gate is closed /needed to blow it up/

I was snipping first like for 40 turns and then went in,

If there's no real tactical challenge, then BAI with auto-combat works OK in such circumstances.  With a tactical challenge present (= real possibility of friendly casualties), it may be less optimal.

Offline Simi822

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3941 on: November 21, 2023, 06:37:05 pm »
well it happened before acquiring such a tool, also the Issue was that this Zombie was camping on the level bellow the level that is accessible.
So changed it health to zero and mission finished....

Offline donk

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3942 on: November 24, 2023, 12:27:53 am »
Buildings that use these TFTD stairs tiles, that the cursor points at, makes their upper floor inaccessible unless there is some other stairs. You can only walk down on them, but not up. This includes the ones in the pic.

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3943 on: November 28, 2023, 06:58:13 pm »
Possible bug:

Has happened to me a couple times now in 2 different playthroughs. Toward the end of the game (close to reaching Cydonia),
- Osiron missions do not return Osiron boxes to base.
Example, I did 2 Osiron warehouse missions, collected 15 boxes each mission (Per the inventory screen). I get back to base, nothing to unpack.

Not that I really need anything in those boxes at this point. But just something to take note of. If I remember correctly, something similar happened with MIB boxes as well. Almost like I reached my max.

Online psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3944 on: November 28, 2023, 08:59:15 pm »
Possible bug:

Has happened to me a couple times now in 2 different playthroughs. Toward the end of the game (close to reaching Cydonia),
- Osiron missions do not return Osiron boxes to base.
Example, I did 2 Osiron warehouse missions, collected 15 boxes each mission (Per the inventory screen). I get back to base, nothing to unpack.

Not that I really need anything in those boxes at this point. But just something to take note of. If I remember correctly, something similar happened with MIB boxes as well. Almost like I reached my max.

It seems very difficult for this kind of bug to actually occur, and it is more likely that you're missing something (pun intended). If you suspect this in a certain mission, you will really need to make a save from which it could be reproduced.