Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1111216 times)

Offline Akamashi

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #3840 on: August 26, 2023, 12:22:41 pm »
What then does accuracy mean in the description of the weapon? What then does it mean to add or not add a melee skill to this accuracy?

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3841 on: August 26, 2023, 01:03:35 pm »
Listed accuracy is not added, it's the final multiplier used on the result of the formula that calculates melee accuracy from skills. Which tends to depend on the weapon.

E.g. a machete with an accuracy multiplier of 80% and 0.5 melee + 0.5 flat accuracy in the hands of a 50-skill agent gets you (0.5*50+0.5*100)*0.8 = 60% hit 'chance'. That's before that invisible melee dodge comes and fucks up the result, of course.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2023, 01:05:53 pm by Juku121 »

Offline Akamashi

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3842 on: August 26, 2023, 04:28:08 pm »
I think I got it. Thanks for the clarification.

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
  • Chrysalis are people too
    • View Profile
« Reply #3843 on: August 27, 2023, 05:41:16 pm »
I found a bug in the agents/inventory screen. while on Rat, if you by accident click on change avatar and change the name (I believe only Bruce) caused an instant shutdown.
Don't ask me why I tried that. but did notice, some other names wouldn't cause the crash.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3844 on: August 28, 2023, 11:50:26 am »
I found a bug in the agents/inventory screen. while on Rat, if you by accident click on change avatar and change the name (I believe only Bruce) caused an instant shutdown.
Don't ask me why I tried that. but did notice, some other names wouldn't cause the crash.

Interesting. Do you have a save?

Offline tris85

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3845 on: August 28, 2023, 04:58:00 pm »
Of course, there are are no super secret VIP club only translations. :)

The German translation currently has 7940 strings translated, 1018 waiting on a brave volunteer to tackle them.

My friend and me are doing pretty regular gaming sessions on the weekends and we're planning to adopt bad / add missing German translations from now on while playing. Just forked your repo / master branch. Guess I'll send you a weekly PR if that's fine for you?

Offline unarmed drifter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3846 on: August 28, 2023, 06:29:25 pm »
my game crashes ;__;
to reproduce: end the mission by killing the scorpion
additional info: i run the game via wine on a pretty old dusted laptop

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: August 29, 2023, 11:16:10 am »
My friend and me are doing pretty regular gaming sessions on the weekends and we're planning to adopt bad / add missing German translations from now on while playing. Just forked your repo / master branch. Guess I'll send you a weekly PR if that's fine for you?

Sorry, but I can't see how this would fit into how things work. Translations are managed by Transifex, what would I do with a PR? It would be overridden by Transifex changes anyway.

my game crashes ;__;
to reproduce: end the mission by killing the scorpion
additional info: i run the game via wine on a pretty old dusted laptop

Crashes for me too, no idea why - there's nothing useful in the log. This is extremely strange, as it is a very common and old mission. I will investigate.

Offline tris85

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: August 29, 2023, 02:53:29 pm »
Sorry, but I can't see how this would fit into how things work. Translations are managed by Transifex, what would I do with a PR? It would be overridden by Transifex changes anyway.

Crashes for me too, no idea why - there's nothing useful in the log. This is extremely strange, as it is a very common and old mission. I will investigate.

Oh, I'm sorry. I expected your The German translation currently has 7940 strings translated, 1018 waiting on a brave volunteer to tackle them. meant they are manual community work? So I was thinking about expand / rework them while playing.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3849 on: August 29, 2023, 03:17:20 pm »
Oh, I'm sorry. I expected your The German translation currently has 7940 strings translated, 1018 waiting on a brave volunteer to tackle them. meant they are manual community work? So I was thinking about expand / rework them while playing.

Yeah precisely, it is a community work. And Transifex is a platform to organise it.

You are very welcome to join and help with the translation. No need for big commitments, every string matters.

Offline tris85

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3850 on: August 29, 2023, 05:37:53 pm »
Yeah precisely, it is a community work. And Transifex is a platform to organise it.

You are very welcome to join and help with the translation. No need for big commitments, every string matters.

Aaah, I see! Was about to directly adopt the language file. So how to your your project there? Its surely written down somewhere already?

Edit: found it, actually quite easy: https://app.transifex.com/openxcom/openxcom-mods/translate/#de/xcf/406449569
« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 06:24:20 pm by tris85 »

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3851 on: August 29, 2023, 07:02:51 pm »

Item ID 141 is a corpse missing an assigned unit:

Code: [Select]
    - id: 141
      type: STR_MEGASCORPION_CORPSE
      inventoryslot: STR_GROUND
      position: [33, 4, 0]
      droppedOnAlienTurn: true

Compare the next megascorpion corpse on the list:

- id: 143
      unit: 1000021
      position: [38, 23, 0]

Assigning a unit (even an existing one) to 141, e.g.

- id: 141
      unit: 1000021
      position: [33, 4, 0]
      droppedOnAlienTurn: true

fixes the crash for me. I have no idea why the corpse is missing a unit or why a missing unit ID on a corpse item leads to a crash though. Maybe Meridian/somebody with knowledge of the codebase can elucidate us.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 07:08:46 pm by krautbernd »

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
  • Chrysalis are people too
    • View Profile
« Reply #3852 on: August 29, 2023, 07:35:39 pm »
Interesting. Do you have a save?

I'll check.

Another strange one is after david Vincent mission, MIB scientist and MIB Assault solder become available for research. Even if i add no scientist to them and just add them to research, they are almost instantly completed 9with no assigned scientists). Populating nothing.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3853 on: August 29, 2023, 08:03:56 pm »
@tris85: Yeah, that's the thing. Good luck with the translation!

@krautbernd: Thanks for the input. It's probably a corrupted save.

I'll check.

Another strange one is after david Vincent mission, MIB scientist and MIB Assault solder become available for research. Even if i add no scientist to them and just add them to research, they are almost instantly completed 9with no assigned scientists). Populating nothing.

Wut? No idea why that would be like this, their costs are fine. I need more data...

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3854 on: August 29, 2023, 08:13:44 pm »
@krautbernd: Thanks for the input. It's probably a corrupted save.

What would lead to a single item missing a single reference? As far as I can tell there is literally nothing wrong with the save apart from the missing unit reference. And I don't see why a missing reference should lead to a crash. There is no reason the corpse couldn't be recovered without one. Why does this lead to a segfault?