aliens

Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1113998 times)

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #3825 on: August 05, 2023, 09:27:03 pm »
There is a bug in 3.0-snap probably introduced Jul 26, 2023 by CAVESDIO_07 commit. You have also added CAVESLAB_07 terrain, but no corresponding map block was added for this (for other terrains there were). If RNG chooses CAVESLAB_07 terrain for example for Syndicate Monster Lab mission, OXCE crashes:

[04-08-2023_21-11-15]   [FATAL] FileRecord::at(MAPS/CAVESLAB_07.MAP): requested file not found.
[04-08-2023_21-11-15]   [FATAL] A fatal error has occurred: FileRecord::at(MAPS/CAVESLAB_07.MAP): requested file not found.

I commented out "CAVESLAB_07" section in the terrains ruleset to work around this for now.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3826 on: August 06, 2023, 01:11:03 pm »
Thanks for catching this, fixed.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3827 on: August 08, 2023, 02:54:16 pm »
Syndicate Headquarters mission does not have 'Entrance' squares, all the spawn squares are 'Target Exits'. This means that you can abort the mission, but you lose all the loot pile you brought with you on the craft.

Compare this to Black Lotus HQ which is a similar mission. There all the spawn squares are 'Entrance' squares (I think, based on a quick test with "New Battle").

The squares in Syndicate HQ might be unintentional, and it is at very least unfair, given that mission description and briefing doesn't allude to anything about the diffculty of aborting the mission (to the contrary). I suggest changing all the squares to 'Entrance' unless there is some reason not to.

This seems like a relatively important issue, because Syndicate HQ is one of the most difficult missions especially if you get a bad spawn location or certain enemies spawn close to you (e.g. a lot of minotaurs) and aborting the mission and trying it again next month might be a very viable survival strategy.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3828 on: August 09, 2023, 07:17:19 am »
In 3.1-snap, Reclamation of Aether Lab is extremely slow (even when your own agents move). This is probably because the height of the map has been defined as 50 squares(!!!), even though the mission only uses two. This is clearly a bug.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3829 on: August 13, 2023, 06:49:23 am »
A few max-speeds to compare:
 - humvee 150
 - public car 200
 - helicopter 230
 - osprey 375
 - land rover 400
 - private car 450
 - dragonfly 560

Helicopter and to a degree osprey is very slow in contrast to a car by public transportation system. Land rover and private car are, on the other hand, way too fast. Especially land rover is crazy fast in comparison to the rest, but I suspect this is kinda intentional for it to be a viable later-game undercover transportation option.

But if one wanted to rebalance these to make the numbers more realistic in comparison, I'd definitely make helicopter faster (at least 300) and land rover and private car a bit slower.

Offline unarmed drifter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3830 on: August 13, 2023, 05:30:48 pm »
private car is not only the car per se, but also the attached leasing jet :); same goes for the humvee i guess
the speed of the helicopter is ok if compared to actual crafts like the Eurocopter from Airbus

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3831 on: August 14, 2023, 11:30:42 am »
Syndicate Headquarters mission does not have 'Entrance' squares, all the spawn squares are 'Target Exits'. This means that you can abort the mission, but you lose all the loot pile you brought with you on the craft.

Compare this to Black Lotus HQ which is a similar mission. There all the spawn squares are 'Entrance' squares (I think, based on a quick test with "New Battle").

Honestly I have no idea why I set this up like this... I can't find a specific reason. So I'm changing this to work as normal and hoping it won't break anything.

In 3.1-snap, Reclamation of Aether Lab is extremely slow (even when your own agents move). This is probably because the height of the map has been defined as 50 squares(!!!), even though the mission only uses two. This is clearly a bug.

Definitely a bug. I missed this.

Helicopter and to a degree osprey is very slow in contrast to a car by public transportation system. Land rover and private car are, on the other hand, way too fast. Especially land rover is crazy fast in comparison to the rest, but I suspect this is kinda intentional for it to be a viable later-game undercover transportation option.

But if one wanted to rebalance these to make the numbers more realistic in comparison, I'd definitely make helicopter faster (at least 300) and land rover and private car a bit slower.

Maybe this matrix could use some rethinking, but speed is complicated, as it impacts range.

Besides, I'm not convinced it's totally wrong.

Offline Zennaris

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3832 on: August 20, 2023, 06:01:58 pm »
Help me understand. Am I the new commander assigned to the base which have operated for some time? Or we are fresh unit and didn't do any missions before 30 Dec 1996? After all there are only 6 green rookies present and no score. Both "Red Tape" and "Money Prize" events in Dec 96 compliment our achievements last month, when I wasn't in charge. I know there was couple projects before X-Com which gave us critical data, but they are terminated at this point and I'm not comfortable to be praised for their work.
Why sometimes Cult Apprehension missions can't specify the place? I thought it was problem of specific city, but no, other times they spell it just fine.
And I'm sorry, but this garage thing still bothering me. If you need an example, here is how it usually goes. First turn, we see two garages right in front of us. We know there are two cultists, and we know that a garage is ALWAYS occupied, so we easily and boringly deal with them. Is there a reason for this which I can't understand? Is it supposed to be a challenge to storm a see-through house with entries on all sides? Other buildings don't work this way even the watchtower.
Thank you for changing the AK sounds.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3833 on: August 20, 2023, 09:36:19 pm »
Help me understand. Am I the new commander assigned to the base which have operated for some time? Or we are fresh unit and didn't do any missions before 30 Dec 1996? After all there are only 6 green rookies present and no score.

The project is new (at least in this iteration). You arrive last on site, while your initial staff members have been there for some time making preparations.

Both "Red Tape" and "Money Prize" events in Dec 96 compliment our achievements last month, when I wasn't in charge.

You were, for like 2 days.

I know there was couple projects before X-Com which gave us critical data, but they are terminated at this point and I'm not comfortable to be praised for their work.

They are completely unrelated.

Why sometimes Cult Apprehension missions can't specify the place? I thought it was problem of specific city, but no, other times they spell it just fine.

Hmm, weird. I can't think of any reason, nor recall anything like this.

And I'm sorry, but this garage thing still bothering me. If you need an example, here is how it usually goes. First turn, we see two garages right in front of us. We know there are two cultists, and we know that a garage is ALWAYS occupied, so we easily and boringly deal with them. Is there a reason for this which I can't understand? Is it supposed to be a challenge to storm a see-through house with entries on all sides? Other buildings don't work this way even the watchtower.

Sorry, I don't understand. Why would the garage be anything special? It's just a map part like any other.

Thank you for changing the AK sounds.

You're welcome. :)

BTW this post mostly has nothing to do with bugs (either actual or suspected), but at least some points seem related, so I'll leave it here. In the future please use other threads for non-bug-related questions, as it makes it harder on the OXCE devs to recognize issues.

Offline injuras

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3834 on: August 21, 2023, 06:38:14 am »
There are some error when playing v3.1(game is still playable)

Code: [Select]
[21-08-2023_12-22-59] [INFO] Supressed Error for 'STR_WESTMEN_INFORMANT': This unit can be recovered (in theory), but there is no corresponding item to recover.
[21-08-2023_12-22-59] [INFO] Supressed Error for 'STR_XCOM_BUZZER_UNIT': This unit can be recovered (in theory), but there is no corresponding item to recover.
[21-08-2023_12-22-59] [INFO] Supressed Error for 'STR_XCOM_CYBERMITE_UNIT': This unit can be recovered (in theory), but there is no corresponding item to recover.

And when I search this topic in XCF wiki(in Trigam Reactor), this page shows "Something went wrong. You should let people know at XCF Matrix" and

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3835 on: August 21, 2023, 11:57:32 am »
There are some error when playing v3.1(game is still playable)

They are just warnings, not errors. They don't do anything bad.

I could fix it, but I'm afraid of actually breaking it. :P

And when I search this topic in XCF wiki(in Trigam Reactor), this page shows "Something went wrong. You should let people know at XCF Matrix" and

Not sure if bug; if the item doesn't exist, then indeed there is nothing to display.

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
  • Chrysalis are people too
    • View Profile
« Reply #3836 on: August 22, 2023, 11:32:36 pm »
So I had some issues in a previous version, good news is.. this latest version, that issue is gone. MIB Lunar landing was giving me a crash a few months back. This newer version all good.
That version that was giving me the crash had UAC base missions, I didn't see any in this newest version.

But I did find one potential bug.

Lunar base:Core mission
This is the mission where you are trying to get the
Spoiler:
Grand master

For some reason, medi packs, trauma packs were onboard ship but were not accessible on landing. Only thing that was "Healing spray, healing gel".
Is this normal ?

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3837 on: August 22, 2023, 11:58:34 pm »
Yes. Conventional medical kits are not vacuum-rated, only the advanced Medi-Kit and the self-contained items qualify.

Offline Akamashi

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3838 on: August 26, 2023, 11:04:55 am »
Wakizashi says that the accuracy of the strike is 100%. The influence of the melee is not specified, but an agent with the melee skill 12 never hits anyone. Is this how it should be?

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3839 on: August 26, 2023, 11:41:51 am »
If your hit 'chance' says 12%, then yes.

You're probably running up against melee dodge, which is additive and thus very bad for low accuracy values.