aliens

Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1072718 times)

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #3495 on: January 30, 2023, 11:37:25 am »
From what I can see, the battlescape palette sprites work fine in Pedia (no pink pixels on bigobs nor armours), and the game hasn't exploded, so yay.
That's indeed a success. :) All I'm saying is it'd be better if the colours were the same for both. Meridian already offered to help, so I guess that'll get done quickly enough.

Edit: My second point was that the bright new Battlescape blue on the Tritanium vest looks bad to me. Why are X-Com agents painting their vests like that? Is this some kind of Xenonauts legacy? :P You could pull the old blue from PALETTES.DAT and revert it to the old, more alloy-ish version. Or not, it's your decision.

...only RSSWizard has the power to edit palettes with a goddamn hexedit, so nobody's touching this.
It's not hard. The file is just full of these very same numerical RGB values, but roughly divided by four and in hexadecimal. I pulled the old blacks from there (to put into a Battlepedia change) with little trouble last night. Maybe some shades got a little bit shifted around because multiplication by four isn't quite exact, but I personally can't really spot such fine differences.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 11:41:57 am by Juku121 »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3496 on: January 30, 2023, 11:39:53 am »
It's not hard. The file is just full of these very same RGB values, but roughly divided by four and in hexadecimal. I pulled the old blacks from there (to put into a Battlepedia change) with little trouble last night. Maybe some shades got a little bit shifted around because multiplication by four isn't quite exact, but I personally can't really spot such fine differences.

Well, it's interesting and all, but why try to build a rocket with a handaxe if another solution is available?

I sure am not interested in this ridiculous task, I'd rather draw a new face or something.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: January 30, 2023, 11:45:44 am »
Well, it's interesting and all, but why try to build a rocket with a handaxe if another solution is available?
There is? I mean, you still have to get the colour values somehow, and it's either asking the author of the XCF PALETTES.DAT, or pulling them from there by hand.

If you mean the text-based palette edits, sure, much easier to work with than PALETTES.DAT editing. But right now, these are no longer the same XCF colours people are used to. Bright blue Tritanium, light grey suits, somewhat different 'alloy blue' on stun clubs, etc.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: January 30, 2023, 12:45:24 pm »
There is? I mean, you still have to get the colour values somehow, and it's either asking the author of the XCF PALETTES.DAT, or pulling them from there by hand.

Due to circumstances, the author can't help with this one.

I operate under the impression that it an be circumvented with a .PAL file.

If you mean the text-based palette edits, sure, much easier to work with than PALETTES.DAT editing. But right now, these are no longer the same XCF colours people are used to. Bright blue Tritanium, light grey suits, somewhat different 'alloy blue' on stun clubs, etc.

How it text-based easier than using a graphic program???

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: January 30, 2023, 12:48:47 pm »
Due to circumstances, the author can't help with this one.

I operate under the impression that it an be circumvented with a .PAL file.
The values in a .pal file still have to come from somewhere, don't they?

Edit: I mean, if you're committed to the new palette, that's fine, no need to do anything. It's just that there's already one person who disliked the effects and wanted to revert. And while I'm a fan of the 'new old' palette, it no longer lines up as nicely with the actual colours in the image files. Or, well, technically it does, but the end result is not the XCF colouring people are used to.

How it text-based easier than using a graphic program???
It of course isn't. I meant vs hex editing.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 12:53:20 pm by Juku121 »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3500 on: January 30, 2023, 12:56:49 pm »
The values in a .pal file still have to come from somewhere, don't they?

What's the point of dragging this on and on, since Meridian has already offered to help? Or are you going to do something too?

Edit: I mean, if you're committed to the new palette, that's fine, no need to do anything. It's just that there's already one person who disliked the effects and wanted to revert. And while I'm a fan of the 'new old' palette, it no longer lines up as nicely with the actual colours in the image files. Or, well, technically it does, but the end result is not the XCF colouring people are used to.
It of course isn't. I meant vs hex editing.

At this point I just need to make sure that the mod works as intended. Once this is confirmed, we can talk about quality.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3501 on: January 30, 2023, 12:59:10 pm »
What's the point of dragging this on and on, since Meridian has already offered to help? Or are you going to do something too?
If you want me to? I mean, if you wanted the old Tritanium shade back, or the black suits, I could mine those and give you an update list of values. I just don't know whether you actually want this.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: January 30, 2023, 01:01:36 pm »
If you want me to? I mean, if you wanted the old Tritanium shade back, or the black suits, I could mine those and give you an update list of values. I just don't know whether you actually want this.

I can't say right now; it's a matter of experimentation.

Once everything is working as intended, I'm open to further tweaks.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: January 30, 2023, 01:04:08 pm »
Okay. If there's a sufficient number of complaints :) and nobody else does it before then, give me a holler.

Offline Xylon666Darkstar

• Captain
  • "With Doom, We Come."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: January 30, 2023, 11:15:42 pm »
Is this associated with the XCFiles mod? Can't find it associated in repository or other mods. Want to make sure I'm not missing juicy lore/events. Game is 1st January 2000

Edit: nm its XCFilesArsenal mod. Ignore this.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 05:06:38 am by Xylon666Darkstar »

Offline Kozinsky

• Captain
  • Sorry for my bEd English
    • View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: February 02, 2023, 11:40:55 am »
Is that a typo? Or is it meant to be?

Also in version 2.8 the number of available head types for agents was reduced.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 12:16:34 pm by Kozinsky »

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: February 02, 2023, 12:43:50 pm »
Also in version 2.8 the number of available head types for agents was reduced.
OXCE issue, update to 7.8.7.

Edit: Some 'bad taste': I see that the small alien subs are still following the 'tiny USO has a bigger, three-room map while the smaller small USO is a one-roomer'. Is this intentional homage? I think there were fan fixes for this a long time ago, perhaps in XcomUtil even.

A potential bug, too. Is the Zrbite container in the Survey Ship supposed to lay on the floor next to the IBA instead of under it?

Now that I think about it, isn't it kinda strange that the USO Cruiser's Zrbite supply is in the front, under one of those ball thingies instead of an IBA?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 06:58:17 pm by Juku121 »

Offline Akamashi

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: February 02, 2023, 09:33:50 pm »
Is it correct that a rat has a psi sense of 3, and a dog 40? Why is there such a huge difference? (and what does this psi sense mean?)

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: February 02, 2023, 09:50:17 pm »
Is it correct that a rat has a psi sense of 3, and a dog 40? Why is there such a huge difference? (and what does this psi sense mean?)

Psi sense? Do you mean psivison?

Can you elaborate what you are referring to?

The only "dog" armor I can find that even has psivision is  STR_THE_THING_DOG_ARMOR - and that isn't a regular X-COM armor and in line with the other THE_THING armors.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: February 02, 2023, 09:53:16 pm »
Yeah, this is most likely not a regular Earthling canine you're looking at.

what does this psi sense mean
THEY CAN SEE YOU THROUGH WALLS!

Ahem. Sorry about that. :-[