aliens

Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1072798 times)

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #1530 on: November 28, 2018, 07:07:50 pm »
Don't sweat it, as far as i'm concerned most of these are low-priority anyway.

--- posts merged ---

Osprey has no assigned repair rate.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 09:30:50 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1531 on: November 28, 2018, 09:41:49 pm »
The Black Lotus HQ assault has no shade entry in deployments, resulting in the map being dark when you assault it at night time. Given that the HQ is located "deep underground" and is lit artificially, shouldn't the map load with daytime lighting even if assaulted at night?

Thanks, fixed.

Have you removed the shield from the EXALT brainer? At least the two i'Ve encountered in my new playthrough didn't seem to have one, at least judging from the in-game graphics.

Hm, i might be misremembering this. Did the brainer even have a shield? Just asking because the animations seem to be a bit different, and he doesn't seem to be such a HP-sponge as he used to be.

No, the brainer never had a shield like Sectoids have. They have a kinetic shield instead, just like Black Lotus Witches (just an armour bonus).

I just got the T'leth Embassy mission without having researched a Deep One or Underwater Operations. I noticed that diving suits are unlocked from the beginning, but the submarine article isn't. Any chance of restructuring research and/or missions in such a way that underwater operations is needed to actually conduct underwater operations? Maybe link UW-Operations to deep one servants and not to deep ones? I did a stupid :P

You're right! I added Underwater Ops as a prerequisite to this mission. I don't like it much, since the window for the embassy became rather narrow, but what else can we do? I could completely restructure this part of the research tree, but for now let's see how bad it is - maybe not bad.

Field manual mentions "del" clears inventory and that ctrl+alt+del clears craft inventory. It doesn't, and pressing ctrl+alt+del under windows opens the task manager. Standard OXCE hotkey for this is x and ctrl+alt+x.

Hmm, I might have non-standard settings. Fixed (hopefully).

Napalm grenades can be manufactured and bought, but they both have the same requirements, i.e. researching the Napalm grenade. Would suggest unlocking production as soon as the grenade has been found, and unlocking the buy option with Promotion III.

But manufacturing the Napalm Grenade requires researching it, and researching it requires Promo 3... Or am I misunderstanding?

Osprey has no assigned repair rate.

Does it need one? Many crafts don't.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: November 28, 2018, 10:43:40 pm »
You're right! I added Underwater Ops as a prerequisite to this mission. I don't like it much, since the window for the embassy became rather narrow, but what else can we do? I could completely restructure this part of the research tree, but for now let's see how bad it is - maybe not bad.
There's still the late-game embassy mission that occasionally pops up as long as the tasoth factory(?) arc isn't finished. Another option would be to not spawn the agents in a sub, but on the sea floor. Seeing how the diving suits are unlocked by default and the mission take splace near the coast/on the shelf this could be some kind preliminary mission where they got dropped off from a surface vessel. Of course this doesn't fit when you unlock underwater ops...

I think the late game option is fine TBH, since it starts spawning once you finish Chruch of Dagon.

Hmm, I might have non-standard settings. Fixed (hopefully).
TBH i haven't tried rebinding the "reset all"-hotkey, but i don't think it would work with ctrl+alt+del under windows anyway.

But manufacturing the Napalm Grenade requires researching it, and researching it requires Promo 3... Or am I misunderstanding?
The way it is right now the manufacturing options is kind of pointless, since you unlock the option to buy it at the same time (i.e. after reaching Promo III and researching the grenade). I'd remove the manufacturing option alltogether and make researching the grenade independent from Promo III (which would make sense seeing how you can research other human tech before you are able to buy it, the HE for example).

Does it need one? Many crafts don't.
I have no idea what the option defaults to, just wanted to point out that it doesn't have one (along with the arrow and the mig i think).

Oh yeah, just noticed that the Auto Cannon and the Heavy Cannon are unlocked the first time you contact MAGMA, but you don't get to buy either until the third message. Seeing how no enemies carry them, wouldn't it make sense to unlock them at the same time as you can buy them? Or am i missing something? I mean it's nice to have the ufopedia entry, but i can't blow up enemies with it.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 12:30:08 pm by krautbernd »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: November 29, 2018, 12:07:43 pm »
There's still the late-game embassy mission that occasionally pops up as long as the tasoth factory(?) arc isn't finished. Another option would be to not spawn the agents in a sub, but on the sea floor. Seeing how the diving suits are unlocked by default and the mission take splace near the coast/on the shelf this could be some kind preliminary mission where they got dropped off from a surface vessel. Of course this doesn't fit when you unlock underwater ops...

I think the late game option is fine TBH, since it starts spawning once you finish Chruch of Dagon.

Can the embassy spawn after terminating the cult? I might be wrong, but I seriously doubt it.
Still, would make sense... Even if you terminate the Church, the members generally survive to return another time.

They way it is right now the manufacturing options is kind of pointless, since you unlock the option to buy it at the same time (i.e. after reaching Promo III and researching the grenade). I'd remove the manufacturing option alltogether and make researching the grenade independent from Promo III (which would make sense seeing how you can research other human tech before you are able to buy it, the HE for example).

OK, I guess.

Oh yeah, just noticed that the Auto Cannon and the Heavy Cannon are unlocked the first time you contact MAGMA, but you don't get to buy either until the third message. Seeing how no enemies carry them, wouldn't it make sense to unlock them at the same time as you can buy them? Or am i missing something? I mean it's nice to have the ufopedia entry, but i can't blow up enemies with it.

Well, there is no reason for you to not know these weapons. M.A.G.M.A. doesn't hide such info from you. Why exactly is this a problem?

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: November 29, 2018, 12:28:59 pm »
Can the embassy spawn after terminating the cult? I might be wrong, but I seriously doubt it. Still, would make sense... Even if you terminate the Church, the members generally survive to return another time.
Last i checked the mission trigger were Church_of_Dagon_destroyed=true and Tasoth_factory_destroyed=false (trigger names might or might not be accurate). Yeah, would make sense that those sorcerers seek refuge underwater.

Well, there is no reason for you to not know these weapons. M.A.G.M.A. doesn't hide such info from you. Why exactly is this a problem?
I just found it strange, since they are the only weapons i can think of that hav an ufopedia entry before you can actually access them. Reading the articles it makes sense in context though, with the special arrangement. Nevermind!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: November 29, 2018, 09:28:47 pm »
Last i checked the mission trigger were Church_of_Dagon_destroyed=true and Tasoth_factory_destroyed=false (trigger names might or might not be accurate). Yeah, would make sense that those sorcerers seek refuge underwater.

You're right! I forgot I've done this.

I just found it strange, since they are the only weapons i can think of that hav an ufopedia entry before you can actually access them. Reading the articles it makes sense in context though, with the special arrangement. Nevermind!

Cool!

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: November 30, 2018, 01:40:44 am »
...the hangar floor looks kind of odd compared to vanilla - at least the markings do, they appear very muted in color. Any chance of shuffling around some of those greys in the palette?

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: November 30, 2018, 06:43:18 am »
Not a bug, more than a nitpick.  For your consideration.

Spoiler:
Thanks for the mothballed CF-105 Avro Arrow. As a Canadian, I cannot feel more bittersweet  :P

This is a good image for a dogfight.  It looked odd, so I resized it a bit. Now the tail is not cut-off.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: November 30, 2018, 09:20:53 pm »
...the hangar floor looks kind of odd compared to vanilla - at least the markings do, they appear very muted in color. Any chance of shuffling around some of those greys in the palette?

You're right, I should make the lines brighter.

Not a bug, more than a nitpick.  For your consideration.

This is a good image for a dogfight.  It looked odd, so I resized it a bit. Now the tail is not cut-off.

Purrfect. Taken!

Offline Draykoth

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: December 01, 2018, 02:56:33 pm »
Hi, my game keeps crashing on dec 31. 1998 on the month change with "Segmentation fault. This usually indicates something missing in a mod", which is weird because this is my second playthrough with no changes.

Apparently the forum doesn't take kindly to uploading medium size files, so here's
The offending save,
my user Folder
and the entire Xcom files folder (without UFO folder) because I have no idea what I'm doing

Also, how do I use the Coelacanth Gas Cannon? I can't find an entry for it in the ufopaedia, and even though I can manufacture the ammo, can't seem to use it in any way or even take it on missions (though I can load it on craft)
I managed to find an old save and keep it going until there was an underwater mission if you need to look at it yourself.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: December 01, 2018, 03:36:05 pm »
I can't reproduce it on my installation of xcomfiles, but the one you uploaded indeed crashes on rollover.

On an unrelated note, any reason in particular you're running the game in 1920x1018 btw? Also, you might want to try the "scale to display" options for geo- and battlescape instead of "scale to original" -i've found them to be a lot more pleasing to the eye, but that's a personal preference.

Offline Draykoth

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: December 01, 2018, 04:20:48 pm »
I just re-downloaded the mod and game, put my save file in there, same issue.

as for the resolution, I probably just resized it a bit, but I maximize it whenever I open it anyway, so it doesn't matter. The scale do display/original just changes the size, and I'm okay with things the way they are now

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: December 01, 2018, 05:18:07 pm »
The scale doesn't just change the size - "original scaling" can actually load to distortion, as the pixels don't scale 1:1 to your resolution:

It's most noticeable on the text:

Notice how it doesn't preserve the proper pixel size and as a result the whole UI looks messier than it actually did in the original.

Oh btw, i tracked down to cause of your crash problem (at least as far as i'm willing to dive into it right now):
Quote from: crash the world.sav
rng: 991631635084946040

and

possibleMissions:
[...]
    - region: STR_SOUTH_EAST_ASIA
      missions:
        STR_ALIEN_ABDUCTION: 21
        STR_ALIEN_BASE: 8
        STR_ALIEN_DIPLOMACY: 1
        STR_ALIEN_DOMINATION: 20
        STR_ALIEN_FLYBY: 20
        STR_ALIEN_HARVEST: 13
        STR_ALIEN_INFILTRATION: 13

Solarius might want to take a look at this. I have no idea why, but the game seems to have a problem with spawning that mission in that particular region in this particular save. It works just fine in other regions, and changing the seed or removing the mission fixes the crash - at least for the time being. Again, no idea why it doesn't like spawning that mission, or if it something else entirely and doing this just happens to not crash it.

I'd also like to point out that i just spent one and a half hours on this.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 05:23:16 pm by krautbernd »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: December 01, 2018, 05:22:33 pm »
Oh btw, i tracked down to cause of your crash problem (at least as far as i'm willing to dive into it right now):
Solarius might want to take a look at this. I have no idea why, but the game seems to have a problem with spawning that mission in that particular region in this particular save. It works just fine in other regions, and changing the seed or removing the mission fixes the crash.

To be honest I have no fucking idea what is wrong. All those non-scripted alien missions are black magic.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: December 01, 2018, 05:28:25 pm »
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Welp, i'm glad i haven't missed anything too obvious. Also, kind of glad that i am playing with save scumming enabled, given that generating the right 18-digit seed apparently has the potential to crash the game. Then again i'm not even sure if it's the mission itself or if the seed is just incomaptible with that particular combination. The odds of this happening might be astronomical (as in, one in a trillion).
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 05:37:56 pm by krautbernd »