Author Topic: 40k  (Read 374149 times)

Offline Ves

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: 40k
« Reply #465 on: December 15, 2018, 01:54:20 am »
I run it on Linux, so i don't know if there are major differences, but wouldn't you usually put in into /user/mods? I don't have that executable in the folder, either.

Offline Thunderwing280

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: December 15, 2018, 02:28:06 am »
I run it on Linux, so i don't know if there are major differences, but wouldn't you usually put in into /user/mods? I don't have that executable in the folder, either.
I have other mods as well but they seem to work fine but I don't know whats not making the mod work, as i've said before this is how it was extracted but i did put in OXCE for the mod to work, however when it started up it told me that it was missing the "common" file when it was not in the files so I'm honestly not sure what to do.

Offline Ves

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: December 15, 2018, 02:44:03 am »
Usually its structured like this:

The OXCE main folder has these folders:

common, standard, TFTD, UFO, user, and  OpenXcomEx (the executable)

the user folder has a subfolder called mods, and this is where all the mods are placed. They can be enabled or disabled from the ingame menu.

You then only have to start the game by using the executable in the main folder. If you start it with the executable in your picture it will not find 'common', which as mentioned above is in the main folder as well.

Some other mods like piratez and Xcom-files come with this structure already in place.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: December 15, 2018, 03:36:07 am »
You have these files in the completely wrong place - the fact that OXCE by itself works there is a happy coincidence. You should install OXCE just like a self-contained installation of OXC - extract the OXCE folder somewhere, then copy your files from the Steam version of UFO Defense into the UFO folder of OXCE, and run it once. The openxcom.log file will tell you where the user and mods folders are - extract the 40k mod into the mods folder.  It should look like:
Code: [Select]
/path/to/your/user/folder
 |
 |--> mods
    |--> 40k
       |--> AdeptasName
       |--> GuardName
       |--> ... etc.

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: December 15, 2018, 12:08:52 pm »
Just on a separate note but related to this issue. I have noticed that sometimes when starting a new game for the first time I have to manually create the "user" folder, which when I start the game for a second time creates within this folder the "mods", "xcom1" or "xcom2" folders and the options and openxcom log files. Can anyone explain why as I was under the belief that the user folder was created automatically on the first start of a new game? Also see attached for latest nightly and extended, in both cases I have to create the user folder manually.

Offline Thunderwing280

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: December 16, 2018, 01:47:36 pm »
Just on a separate note but related to this issue. I have noticed that sometimes when starting a new game for the first time I have to manually create the "user" folder, which when I start the game for a second time creates within this folder the "mods", "xcom1" or "xcom2" folders and the options and openxcom log files. Can anyone explain why as I was under the belief that the user folder was created automatically on the first start of a new game? Also see attached for latest nightly and extended, in both cases I have to create the user folder manually.
Yeah when I installed OXCE I had to make folders manually too, is that normal?

EDIT:
It's working now! Thank you guys so much for helping with the installation I really appreciate it!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 01:49:54 pm by Thunderwing280 »

Offline Chapter Master Girlyman

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: December 17, 2018, 07:57:25 pm »
Hi guys,

Just have a couple questions I can't get off my mind. I like all the balancing changes in the new update and the addition of new armor, but I'm curious as to how exactly the camouflage works for the advanced scout armor. Does the enemy have to get closer a certain amount of tiles to see you?

And for the advanced graticule, how exactly does its damage boost work? Is it a flat addition damage bonus or is it some kind of multiplicative bonus? Sorry if this is really basic info.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: December 17, 2018, 10:20:30 pm »
Camouflage reduces the number of tiles at which you're visible - if an enemy can see 40 tiles normally and the scout has camo 10, the enemy has to be within 30 tiles to spot you.

Damage bonuses to craft weapons are percentage based.

Offline TheDeparted

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: December 23, 2018, 12:41:51 pm »
Fabulous mod! Thanks to all of you guys involved in this amazing work.

Please allow me to share some of my thoughts after playing for about 3-4 hours or so (Openxcom Extended +). Be advised, I'm a total noob:

1. The assault bike crashed the game to desktop (Resources/Bike.PNG. Couldn't open etc.)
2. It's not always obvious which units are unlocked after the research is complete.
3. Why can't I not equip the craft's third weapon slot?
4. The Battle Sisters seem rather underwhelming compared to the Space Marines.
5. Using Guardsmen seems a bit pointless once you unlock Space Marines, doesn't it? (it may be just a difference in taste).

Is there any way I can help with the project? I have absolutely no skills at programming, but I'm decent at editing text.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: December 23, 2018, 12:45:23 pm »
1. You are using linux?then this mean you need change name of file to match ruleset
3. Because this is not weapon slot or you do not have weapons that fit it.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: December 23, 2018, 02:55:55 pm »
Glad you're enjoying the mod!

We recently changed the file structure for some of the resources, we forgot to update the entry for the assault bike to match, it'll be fixed in the next version. To fix for now, find the file Ruleset/extraSprites_40k.rul, open it and look for the lines
  - type: BIKE.PCK
    subX: 32
    subY: 40
    width: 256
    height: 840
    files:
      0: Resources/bike/BIKE.png
Change the last line to
      0: Resources/bike/ULTRAMARINE/BIKE.png

Which units are you talking about unlocking after research? New armors should appear in "We Can Now Manufacture" or "We Can Now Purchase" popups after the research is finished, same for HWP-type units.

The 3rd weapon slot for some craft is for specialized equipment that you can research and manufacture to improve the crafts' stats.

As for the last points, how familiar are you with the WH40k lore? Space Marines are meant to be far and away better than either Guardsmen or Battle Sisters, as the marines are superhuman soldiers genetically designed to be the most powerful warriors humanity has to offer. Gameplay-wise, the sisters still get power armor for only being a bit more expensive than marines, armor you don't have to research or manufacture. They're a way to get some early durable soldier when you don't have good armor or resources to make it, but they won't be as good on the offense as a marine. Guardsmen are meant to be played as overwhelming numbers, and get tools for that kind of strategy if you research Imperial Guard Operations instead of a space marine strategy.

Offline bulletdesigner

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: December 26, 2018, 08:21:44 pm »
Is there any way I can help with the project? I have absolutely no skills at programming, but I'm decent at editing text.

hey man thks 4 playing the mod, we don´t have text on some part´s ex: supply / base, etc ...and i have no patient for writing,
dunno if ohartenstein23 have the same issue was me, but anyway if you want, you can suggest those text part in UFOPEDIA.
Also i don´t need to tell anyone but sprites and art on game pallet is always appreciated.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: December 26, 2018, 08:39:29 pm »
Hi TheDeparted, we have pedia text for all of the IG stuff and I've been working my way through the current set of strings/text to clean them up, but for any article that looks like it has just stand-in text (e.g. the article text is just the title of the article) or is copied straight from UFO we'd appreciate it if you wanted to write those.

If you have any artistic inclination or are good at finding other image sources, I'd appreciate a good image for the IG medic armor in the pedia, both in Flak and Carapace - nothing I've found so far really fits the aesthetic for the rest of the pedia.

Offline perekrylo

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: December 28, 2018, 10:13:05 am »
Hey people. Great mod and all, though I've a silly question to ask. How do I enable (or enforce) that PSI-line of sight thingy? Gettin' frustrated beyond any recognition by those all-seein sorcerers.

Offline bulletdesigner

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: December 28, 2018, 12:29:16 pm »
Hey people. Great mod and all, though I've a silly question to ask. How do I enable (or enforce) that PSI-line of sight thingy? Gettin' frustrated beyond any recognition by those all-seein sorcerers.

hey next version will be enforce , and that version be release soon  enough with a lot of corrections... but  meanwhile just replace this file in ruleset folder.
Once the mode becomes "main" there is no side mod available to active (we have to put that sub mod in the folder)