aliens

Author Topic: Solar's wishlist  (Read 455506 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Solar's wishlist
« Reply #195 on: September 11, 2016, 03:10:30 am »
Any ideas? And, if I just stack the existing .maps on top of each other, wouldn't the AI be confused?

It would be confused in the sense they wouldn't patrol between floors, but that's not a problem, because this behaviour is disabled anyway when they spot an enemy. So they can chase after you even if you change the floor.

It's a very interesting project of yours, thanks for taking a stab at this. And can you explain more what you are trying to achieve, regarding the Syberia Base example? Some sort of a mix between horizontal and vertical map composition?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #196 on: September 11, 2016, 03:12:07 am »
I know for sure that many z-levels, especially with lots of objects, inflict a heavy burden on the CPU.

Offline Stoddard

• Colonel
  • in a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • Linux builds & stuff
« Reply #197 on: September 11, 2016, 10:15:31 am »
It would be confused in the sense they wouldn't patrol between floors, but that's not a problem, because this behaviour is disabled anyway when they spot an enemy. So they can chase after you even if you change the floor.
Well, that's great, no problem then.

It's a very interesting project of yours, thanks for taking a stab at this. And can you explain more what you are trying to achieve, regarding the Syberia Base example? Some sort of a mix between horizontal and vertical map composition?

I don't like how base assauts begin in the 'lifts'. Two-stage missions too, they are the remnant of '94 engine limits, and not some ingenious game design.

Siberia base is the only example to the contrary and I like it much better.  But it's a custom-designed terrain, thus there can't be anything other than snow and shacks on the top.

For the bases I think two map layers generated as they are now, one facilities, the second the terrain, then linked in certain places will do.

But there should be other applications of the multilayer map support, those which I can't imagine right now, but which might require something more than just two layers and merging top layer blocks with blocks defined to accompany specific blocks (facilities) at the bottom.

So I ask for any obvious ideas that are generalizations of the above and also how to better represent this in the rulesets.

I know for sure that many z-levels, especially with lots of objects, inflict a heavy burden on the CPU.

Yes, it's most noticeable when defending a built-up base (and also mansions). But since it's quite rare, I think there's not enough pressure to optimize the drawing. I for one thought about it, but decided that two rare mission types isn't worth reading that much code. When it ceases to be rare I'm sure someone will get fed up and will fix it.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 11, 2016, 10:21:14 am »
Beach landings with underwater and above ground fighting!

Basically a tftd terror but on top of/next to a tftd USO mission. That's the most obnoxious I can think of, given that certain armors can only fly underwater, you gotta draw bubbles and different explosions underwater, etc.

Similar but upside down for underwater base assaults where the water is on top and the ground below.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 11, 2016, 10:46:42 am »
Yes, it's most noticeable when defending a built-up base (and also mansions). But since it's quite rare, I think there's not enough pressure to optimize the drawing. I for one thought about it, but decided that two rare mission types isn't worth reading that much code. When it ceases to be rare I'm sure someone will get fed up and will fix it.

It's rare, because it's slow, not the other way around :)
And I think it might get even slower with OXCE 3.3.
I heard DarkDefender has tried optimizing it (link), but I never saw anything...
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 12:51:13 pm by Meridian »

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 11, 2016, 11:08:36 am »
Forced movement and teleportation mechanics would be highly desirable.

Offline Stoddard

• Colonel
  • in a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • Linux builds & stuff
« Reply #201 on: September 11, 2016, 02:37:07 pm »
It's rare, because it's slow, not the other way around :)
And I think it might get even slower with OXCE 3.3.

Why? What's coming?

I heard DarkDefender has tried optimizing it (link), but I never saw anything...

A pity they didn't post the patch. Interesting to know what approach did he take.

Forced movement and teleportation mechanics would be highly desirable.

The map generator can't do this sorry. Though a map paying homage to the Infernal Runner would be much fun :)

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 11, 2016, 04:36:44 pm »
Why? What's coming?
I added new light system that allow walls/objects block light.

code: https://github.com/Yankes/OpenXcom/tree/develop
look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oNroA3feEw (this is version "0.1")

But this will not affect drawing performance only recalculation of light.

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 11, 2016, 09:04:13 pm »
The map generator can't do this sorry. Though a map paying homage to the Infernal Runner would be much fun :)

I'm referring to mechanics for items/weapons.

Offline Stoddard

• Colonel
  • in a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • Linux builds & stuff
« Reply #204 on: September 12, 2016, 04:57:24 am »
I'm referring to mechanics for items/weapons.

Sorry I misunderstood. Can you provide a couple of examples of what this should do?

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 12, 2016, 10:50:14 am »
Telekinesis that would allow you to push or pull an enemy unit for example.

Teleportation items/armours that would allow you to well... teleport, not unlike the personal teleportation devices in Apocalypse.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #206 on: October 16, 2016, 10:30:15 am »
A small request (for deployments):
maxShade: use night/day cycle, but never set greater shade than this (useful for eg. city maps)
minShade: use night/day cycle, but never set lower shade than this (useful for eg. underwater missions, smog-ridden cities)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 16, 2016, 10:52:56 am »
A small request (for deployments):
maxShade: use night/day cycle, but never set greater shade than this (useful for eg. city maps)
minShade: use night/day cycle, but never set lower shade than this (useful for eg. underwater missions, smog-ridden cities)

Noted.
Will take a little while though, I have currently almost zero time.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #208 on: October 17, 2016, 06:37:41 pm »
I uploaded the document, added Dioxine's request and also one from me: an option to spawn more than one UFO per map.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 17, 2016, 06:46:12 pm »
I uploaded the document, added Dioxine's request and also one from me: an option to spawn more than one UFO per map.

Isn't this implemented already?
I believe Hobbes has been adding multiple craft per map in Area 51 already... "addCraft" command in mapScript.